Shortening course

Jules rules

Visit site
Just wondered what opinion is to shortening course by more than 100 yards so that competitions through the winter can be classed as a NQ comp?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wondered what opinion is to shortening course by more than 100 yards so that competitions through the winter can be classed as a NQ comp?
Why would you want to do that? It is supposed to be an all year round handicap; which is why there are various local rules available for winter conditions.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you mean shortening the course when you don't need to just to make comps non- qualifying, why would you want deliberately to stop scores being returned as they should be?

Swango1980

Visit site
If that was done to purely make scores unacceptable for handicap, I doubt that will be encouraged. In the GB&I guidance to the Rules of Handicapping, there is the following:

"GA (Appendix A)
Clubs are strongly encouraged to ensure that, whenever possible, competitions run in an authorized format are considered as pre-registered for use as an Acceptable Score for handicapping purposes. "

Appendix H then goes into detail about how to mitigate for worse conditions over the winter, and states: "Clubs are encouraged to use these provisions to enable players to return scores for competitions and for handicapping purposes, whenever practicable, during the Preferred Lie period."

WHS does allow the Committee to suspend suspension of scores in exceptionally poor conditions, subject to agreement from the National Association (Rule 7.2b). So, if that is specifically a concern, then maybe that is an avenue to be considered. But, I don't think any authority would agree that reducing the length of the course would be the proper way to address this. The question would simply be "Why do the Committee want the scores to be unacceptable for handicap?"

Jules rules

Visit site
If that was done to purely make scores unacceptable for handicap, I doubt that will be encouraged. In the GB&I guidance to the Rules of Handicapping, there is the following:

"GA (Appendix A)
Clubs are strongly encouraged to ensure that, whenever possible, competitions run in an authorized format are considered as pre-registered for use as an Acceptable Score for handicapping purposes. "

Appendix H then goes into detail about how to mitigate for worse conditions over the winter, and states: "Clubs are encouraged to use these provisions to enable players to return scores for competitions and for handicapping purposes, whenever practicable, during the Preferred Lie period."

WHS does allow the Committee to suspend suspension of scores in exceptionally poor conditions, subject to agreement from the National Association (Rule 7.2b). So, if that is specifically a concern, then maybe that is an avenue to be considered. But, I don't think any authority would agree that reducing the length of the course would be the proper way to address this. The question would simply be "Why do the Committee want the scores to be unacceptable for handicap?"
Thank you for your opinion and information . Much appreciated

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Wife's ladies section sent an email this week saying no more qualifiers till Spring, due to course conditions.

Pre designated rounds can still be lodged as general play handicap cards.

I guess the usual suspects will be picketing the gates of St Pierre in the morning? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: