Short game

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have found that having a very strong lead hand grip ( turned clockwise ) it really hlps stop flipping etc

I have had far better results from this and think rock shoulders

When this is short shots 20 to 30 ft or shorter i am very accurate

Its the longer chips and short pitches i struggle, maybe because i need wrist hinge in the backswing for more distance

[video=youtube;18ns11HzCgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ns11HzCgI[/video]

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
A couple of thoughts. Firstly, I try to chip with the same club all the time. I just don't get enough time to practice with multiple clubs, so use my lob wedge and have a variety of shots, depending on ball position, stance, hand position. So it may be worth picking one club and working with that.
Chipping being one of those strange little skills that come and go, if I have a period where I continually leave the ball short, I forget the lob wedge and use a 9 iron. This normally gets the ball rolling sooner and with less loft gets going a bit hotter. A few holes with the 9 normally resets my stroke and I can return to the lob.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When you get in close to the green (under 50 yards) you have to make a decision.....low, medium or high.
The shot you have been shown is the high shot. (Aim left, open the face). I was shown it too in about 1970 but was warned, only play it when you have a 'juicey' lie when you can get the club under the ball. As you have to hit it quite hard, if the contact isn't perfect, you're in trouble. The more bounce you have, the harder this shot is.

The only time I want to hit the ball high from close in is if I have to hit the ball over something...a bunker/fringe/bush etc and then will only play the high (flop) shot sparingly and off a good lie.
Of course, you can hit a high shot with LWs but you still have to hit them hard to get any distance.
So, if you've practiced this high shot and are confident, then use it but only when there is no alternative.
K.I.S.S.
I like simple

Thanks Bob. So not a technique you'd teach someone who came to you because they were struggling with their basic chipping?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you get in close to the green (under 50 yards) you have to make a decision.....low, medium or high.
The shot you have been shown is the high shot. (Aim left, open the face). I was shown it too in about 1970 but was warned, only play it when you have a 'juicey' lie when you can get the club under the ball. As you have to hit it quite hard, if the contact isn't perfect, you're in trouble. The more bounce you have, the harder this shot is.

The only time I want to hit the ball high from close in is if I have to hit the ball over something...a bunker/fringe/bush etc and then will only play the high (flop) shot sparingly and off a good lie.
Of course, you can hit a high shot with LWs but you still have to hit them hard to get any distance.
So, if you've practiced this high shot and are confident, then use it but only when there is no alternative.
K.I.S.S.
I like simple

i struggle mentally from 100 in i keep thinning thema nd hitting the clubhouse (true) my get out is from 100 out instead of 50 hit my pw or 9 but with an open stance. i really want to stop the thins. but as ive no confidence im stuck, im known to also cut a 8 iron in 100 yards, help