Short game

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My game has settled down and i have time to work on my 50 yd in distances pitching, chipping

My fault seems to be leaving most shots short just off the green maybe from the worry of hitting it too far and behind the green.

I know that deceleration is a big no no and maybe this is my fault

I have 46 (PW) 52 AND 58 WEDGES and have a good feel for full shots on those clubs, recently fitted after getting my Mizuno irons and wedges

Its the in between short shots or longer chips that give me grief and i waste shots

What is the best way to work on this ?

I am not a great fan of the clock method ( Pelz ) but more feel

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bob, whats your take on chipping and pitching standing very open and closer to the ball and when swinging the club through the ball it almost cuts across the ball. Apparently this is an old school method.

I was shown it by a pro as he reckoned it would help me stop quitting on chips but i dont think i like this.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bob, whats your take on chipping and pitching standing very open and closer to the ball and when swinging the club through the ball it almost cuts across the ball. Apparently this is an old school method.

I was shown it by a pro as he reckoned it would help me stop quitting on chips but i dont think i like this.

Martin, I had a lesson last spring and this was the method the pro had me using.
Feet 45 degrees open, standing very close to the ball upright, ball level with left big toe, clubface pointing at target and swing along the line of the feet. Felt like a mini flop shot with not much wrist break.
His reasoning was that it forced you to accelerate through the ball or it would be well short.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Martin, I had a lesson last spring and this was the method the pro had me using.
Feet 45 degrees open, standing very close to the ball upright, ball level with left big toe, clubface pointing at target and swing along the line of the feet. Felt like a mini flop shot with not much wrist break.
His reasoning was that it forced you to accelerate through the ball or it would be well short.

Feels right weird though, ive tried it back and forth since last spring when i was shown it but im not comfortable. Maybe i need to practice rather than play.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its the short pitches / long chips that have me in trouble, the linear method looks like a normal shot to me which i would use maybe 80 to 90 yds out

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Aye it felt weird alright! Distance control was an absolute nightmare and after a couple of months I chucked the method and went back to my old, more conventional method with one difference, I now play the ball in the middle of the stance, rather than towards the right foot. I also use my putting grip when chipping.

It will be interesting to hear Bob's thoughts on the method we were both shown.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i absolutly love seeing all the different ways people play the short game. i think you need to try and experiment with the different chipping/ pitching methods then adjust them to your own unique swing.

at the minute i am happpy as a pig in poo with my chipping!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
some good things on this video. dave stockton on chipping.

[video=youtube;WhN1NJl-SWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhN1NJl-SWc&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

i like that he standing so open. i also like to stand either open or closed. never ever straight! just my prefrence.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;48PlO1NUvUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48PlO1NUvUs&feature=related[/video]

i like what jim says about just changing the club and keep the stroke the same. :thup:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have found that having a very strong lead hand grip ( turned clockwise ) it really hlps stop flipping etc

I have had far better results from this and think rock shoulders

When this is short shots 20 to 30 ft or shorter i am very accurate

Its the longer chips and short pitches i struggle, maybe because i need wrist hinge in the backswing for more distance

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
[video=youtube;UQFfpXeXl2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQFfpXeXl2U[/video]

Tried that method, same as Tom Watson, alot of lower body turn towards target

I guess as the shot becomes longer it moves away from static lower half to become nearer to a mini full swing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It will be interesting to hear Bob's thoughts on the method we were both shown.

When you get in close to the green (under 50 yards) you have to make a decision.....low, medium or high.
The shot you have been shown is the high shot. (Aim left, open the face). I was shown it too in about 1970 but was warned, only play it when you have a 'juicey' lie when you can get the club under the ball. As you have to hit it quite hard, if the contact isn't perfect, you're in trouble. The more bounce you have, the harder this shot is.

The only time I want to hit the ball high from close in is if I have to hit the ball over something...a bunker/fringe/bush etc and then will only play the high (flop) shot sparingly and off a good lie.
Of course, you can hit a high shot with LWs but you still have to hit them hard to get any distance.
So, if you've practiced this high shot and are confident, then use it but only when there is no alternative.
K.I.S.S.
I like simple