short game clubs

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm bored today with very little to do in work so here's another question. Which clubs does every use in and around the green? I'm not including longer pitch shots just shots within 10-20 ft of the green only for sake of arguement.

I use putter LW (60 degree), PW (45 degree), 9 iron and 8 iron. if i was using percentages to show usage of clubs it would probably look something like this:

Putter: 10%
LW: 40%
PW: 30%
9 iron: 15%
8 iron: 5%

I dont particularly like using my irons for these shots as distance control isn't up to it and I tend to overhit them. If I could get better with these clubs distance-wise I'd use them more because my line tends to be better. the opposite holds true for my wedges i.e. distance better line worse.

All opinions/advice welcome apart from overused cliche's and vague comments i.e. "I use the club the situation dictates". I want to know what clubs people tend to use the most for short game shots on an average day.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Assuming it's a flattish green with not much wind about and you're on the fringe, the further I am from the hole, the longer the club I use, so anything from a 6 to SW

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Usually one of my wedges.

If i want a little more roll a short or mid iron.

I have been known to use a hybrid from just off the green before now, but that stopped when I sold the thing :D

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to use my 52 degree for most shots round the green as it's what I feel the most comfortable with and can juddge distances better with this than other clubs

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Almost always a 58 degree. I feel that I know its characteristics for all sorts of shots which is better than learning 4 or 5 clubs foibles - well it seems to work for me.
Chris

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
If clear to the green. 7,8 or 9 using a putting stroke. anything else a wedge with the face open or closed depending what I'm trying to do.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
for those people who use irons more than others around the greens do you use the putting style chip shot or is more of a bump and run chip? I always worry with these type of chips that I'll smash them across the green.

Any links on technique used would be appreciated.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to use my pw or 8i depending on flag position etc, flag at back 8i flag front pw. Working so far the odd one that runs further than anticipated but one area I'm actually getting stronger in.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anything from my hybrid through my irons to my 58 degree wedge and my putter. Main aim is to try and get it onto the green and then start it rolling asap

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
im the same as most really. i look at where the pin is, where i want the ball to land and how much roll i want after the bounce. from there i decide, usually a 7/9 iron or 52. have tried the hybrid way, its something i want to try more of

benjamin

Club Champion
Visit site
If i can get away with it i tend to use putter, ie if im only just in the rough or on the fairway as i find it more reliable than chipping, if there is a hazard in line or tough ground in the way 8 iron if it will clear or SW if height is needed, or if i feel it needs to be a low chip a flattened 6 iron with the closed face pointing to target.

I am only off 17 and most people i play with are lower handicap than me...15/12/10/3, they all use an iron and put it back in there stance to apply check wich seems a nice technique i am yet to try.

Edit: I always used to use a LW like yourself and when they work they are very satisfying but like you i found it inconsistant especially with line as i could quite easily toe it etc, imo it is a harder shot than with a flatter club to pull off and the inconsistancy is outweighed by taking all the ground before the pin out of the equation.

Last edited:

steve_wood

Medal Winner
Visit site
58/12 Wedge is my favorite at the moment but might use a 7 or 8 iron depending on the roll I want. If just on the fringe though I might just use a putter.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
PW or 56 degree. basically try to land the ball about half the distance to the pin and let it roll out. If that can't be achieved with the PW (bunker/rough etc) then it'll be the PW being used. Simples :)

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use my PW almost exclusively for chips/pitches from anywhere between 100-10yds. The reason being that for some strange reason, my wilson Di7 PW is only 43* and my next club up is the Di7 SW which is 55*. I could really do with a 52*, low bounce wedge.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
?

Does no-one use straighter faced clubs any more, 6,7,8,9, ?

Guilty.....

Any situation that requires a carry i.e a bunker i will open up my SW....
But last weekend im convinced that the reason that i had 9 pars was because around the greens i used everything from my 6 iron to my putter....

The sandwedge came out once for a bunker that was it....

But the majority had to go to my 6,7 and 8 iron......

My thoughts are that if i can get the ball rolling quicker then there is less risk involved....
Also a straighter faced club with a putting stroke in my eyes is far more accurate than a chip towards the hole....

Suffice to say ill be going out again tomorrow with the same mentality..

Watch this space :)