Shipping lithium batteries

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Does anyone have experience shipping a battery for a motor caddy or powakaddy internationally? Apparenlty they are classed as dangerous goods and need special shipping.
I am looking to buy a used trolley in the uk next week but need to somehow get a battery back to South Africa. I’ve tried fedex and dhl and they seem pretty clueless.
Any ideas?

thanks
Mike

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a similar problem with a replacement battery for a vacuum, all the delivery companies seemed to not have any problems with the supply but non would touch a return, if I remember correctly it was deemed different and ok if the battery was shipped in place within the intended appliance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. They will not want to touch it as it is classed as hazardous and that is a nightmare for airfreight. You could ship it by sea freight but not air. To ship by air, if you can get someone to touch it, you would need the shipper to have it specially packed and fill out a special shipping form. I doubt that is going to happen for the sale of a second hand trolley.

Your best bet, if the trolley is that special, is to buy the trolley only and then get a battery back in the UK

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Understood thanks. I thought so but was hoping there is a solution. I’m looking to ship from the UK to South Africa where trolleys are hellishly expensive. I thought about bringing just the trolley in but batteries here are pretty hard to find and again every expensive.
Thanks!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a bit of nightmare trying to find somebody who will even ship batteries in the UK let alone abroad. You have to delve fairly deeply in to any shippers to find the terms and conditions to find their rules.

I needed to return a pair to the supplier. When they contacted me they said to describe them as accumulators and not batteries.