Shanks

briancampbell

Visit site
hi guys new to this hope you can all help

i see some familiar names from the olld bbc 606 golf forum - hope you are all doing well.

i play off 8 but yesteerday went down the 1st really well - got to the second - shanked a 5 iron off the tea
honestly nearly walked up played the round ok but always in the back of my head was that shank

have u eva had the shanks? how did u get rid of them? any tips?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
First things first! NEVER say that word it's worth an infraction on it's own!

On the rare (this better not cost me) occasion I hit one I start checking my set up routine and balance!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went through 5 months of them this winter changing a swingpath issue.... I got 3 last weekend in one round... Still managed 30 points and yesterday shot nett level par and didnt even have 1 of them..... It can be a multitude of things happening in the swing that's causing them.... And they also can effect all players right across the board which means that you can't really say its one particular issue that causes them...

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sometimes it happens. Like many things do.
If it's just the once then forget it, as far as that round goes it's anaomolous.

Dwelling on it is more likely to lead to further instances IMO.
If there was nothing obvious that caused it, chalk it up to one of those things, adjust your mind and get on with it.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hitting one shank in a round isn't "having the shanks" and there is nothing for you to cure, just forget about it.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shanks are like a badge of honour that every golfer should have.

Once you have had one, they will never ever be gone. They just lurk there in the dark and hit you like an electric shock just when you least expect it :)

Unless you are hitting them very regularly I wouldn't worry about it!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wish I had never heard of them. I played golf for a couple of years before I hit one.

one of my old playing partners used to hit them all the time with wedges. I had to google it to find out what one was.

later that year I had a bad dose. hung around for quite some time. I was afraid to even attempt to cut a ball for fear of ......

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
hi guys new to this hope you can all help

i see some familiar names from the olld bbc 606 golf forum - hope you are all doing well.

i play off 8 but yesteerday went down the 1st really well - got to the second - shanked a 5 iron off the tea
honestly nearly walked up played the round ok but always in the back of my head was that shank

have u eva had the shanks? how did u get rid of them? any tips?

Yes, get impact tape or labels like this in the photo. I got mne from e bay. It doesnt cure it (I wish) it tells you where you're striking the ball on the club face. I've had it for years and this helps with the fine swing changes, clearly showing whats happening.

tape.jpg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The trouble is if you hit one on the course, it is feels like Russian roulette waiting for the next one. It may come, it may not but you are standing over each shot never knowing and that ultimately destroys confidence during the round

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thing is............it's easy to say.

I hit a shank earlier in the year, it came out of nowhere while I was playing well. I'd forgotten about it by the time I got to the next tee and didn't remember it until 2 days later. I haven't hit one since. As with many things in golf, it's 90% mental

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thoughts are things!.........so they happen but theres nothing you can do to change that once it has, so move on with positive thoughts or........

....caveat is if it happens all the time seek help....

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Right - I'm 28 HC and been breaking 100 recently and getting confident about improving - recently scored 38 points.
On Saturday played in a 3 club only comp.
First hole on the green in two with a 5i on a 375 yard par 4 (ok, downhill)
3 putted for 3points.
2nd is par 3.
In bunker with hopeless lie.
Had to stand on grass bank, bend really low but got it on green with 9i.
2 putted for 2.
I'm happy with my start.
F/fwd to par 3 18th - down in 3 for 2.
In between?
3 points from 15 holes - blobbed on 12 consecutive holes.
I shanked relentlessly, along with slice, hook and chunk divots.
I looked like I'd never picked up a club before.

Driving range today with alignment sticks and "Omm" focus - no problems.
It's in the head.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Right - I'm 28 HC and been breaking 100 recently and getting confident about improving - recently scored 38 points.
On Saturday played in a 3 club only comp.
First hole on the green in two with a 5i on a 375 yard par 4 (ok, downhill)
3 putted for 3points.
2nd is par 3.
In bunker with hopeless lie.
Had to stand on grass bank, bend really low but got it on green with 9i.
2 putted for 2.
I'm happy with my start.
F/fwd to par 3 18th - down in 3 for 2.
In between?
3 points from 15 holes - blobbed on 12 consecutive holes.
I shanked relentlessly, along with slice, hook and chunk divots.
I looked like I'd never picked up a club before.

Driving range today with alignment sticks and "Omm" focus - no problems.
It's in the head.

You're a 28 HC player all these faults go with that HC.....play more less faults.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
I hit a shank earlier in the year, it came out of nowhere while I was playing well. I'd forgotten about it by the time I got to the next tee and didn't remember it until 2 days later. I haven't hit one since. As with many things in golf, it's 90% mental

Good for you, dont agree with the 90% mental, but if you think that, then thats all that matters.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I hit a shank it is completely down to me getting lazy and or sloppy.

Sloppy set up, sloppy posture, lazy swing, no turn = pipe, fore right.

The funny thing about the shanks is that when you throw one in with say a 7i.....you can be sure that your next approach shot will be a perfect 7i. :(

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
You're a 28 HC player all these faults go with that HC.....play more less faults.
Not for almost a whole round they don't.
That was worse than my first ever round.
Played yesterday - started badly but refused to give way to it and improved greatly as the game went on.