Shafts causing injury?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might sound like a daft question this...

Got KBS Tour X in my irons and am doing ok with them. Performance wise they are decent and this was backed up by a recent visit to tour X golf in Wigan, whereby i was told that i was hitting them ok.

Previously i have had C Taper stiff and S300's and i event had a spell with C Taper X's but they were like scaffolding poles.

Problem is recently i have started to get a really sore left thumb, that i can really feel at the top of my back swing. Tried the usual things like rest and anti inflammatory etc, but the problem persists and wont go away.

I am starting to worry that my irons may be to blame. Ive had heavy and stiff shafts before and never had any issues. This is the first time that i have had Very heavy and Very stiff shafts for a long duration and its no coincidence that i have been practising lots down teh range with my irons specifically.

Anyone else had similar?

Think i need to change irons which if i am being honest will really pee me off.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Lol I think your looking in to this too far. The shafts might not be for you but they certainly won't injure you, that is obviously user error

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always practiced a lot mate.

Often 3-4 times a week 100 balls each time.

Never had an issue. Thumbs sore and felt my wrist twinge today also.

Could be bad technique of course. However it's the same bad technique I've always had.

The clubs feel noticibly heavier in comparison to my mates normal stiff shafted Taylor made CBs

Especially feel the weight on the transition. Which is when the pain is most acute.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always practiced a lot mate.

Often 3-4 times a week 100 balls each time.

Never had an issue. Thumbs sore and felt my wrist twinge today also.

Could be bad technique of course. However it's the same bad technique I've always had.

The clubs feel noticibly heavier in comparison to my mates normal stiff shafted Taylor made CBs

Especially feel the weight on the transition. Which is when the pain is most acute.

Sounds like it could be the new weight in the shafts then

Hopefully it's just a bedding in process and your thumb will get used to the new weight :thup:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks fellas

To be fair it's been getting worse if I am being honest.

Had them since the beginning of the year I think. Long enough to get a good feel for them.

I'm definitely in the hitter, rather than swinger camp. Don't think that type of movement would help.

Will see how I get on

Last edited:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tuggles29:

Just out of interest what made you get those very heavy shafts in the first place?

I switched to x in my driver and I love the way it feels on connection. To be fair though it's still a light shaft (tour green) so nothing mega silly. Really seen an improvement in my distance over any driver I've hit.

Just fancied a try and my SS is high enough to warrant them.

They do feel good and honestly only feel as stiff as the C Tapers 120. Think the extra weight is what I am not so comfy with. Well I say that, I do hit them well, just a doubt in my mind now really as well as s sore hand..

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
assuming you not aware of any particular swing or impact that initially resulted in marked pain

would look to probably the extra weight playing into the issues for sure

order of importance with shaft fitting is about 1st about length then weight being a paramount issue in the ability to control the swing and impact with 'flex' coming after that
& looking at flex in a ways that it helps to provide a high percentage of solid strikes - so the shaft able to release into impact with some consistency so trajectory & distance control - rather than just about this SS = this flex

& just because the SS says it hits somewheres in the band to normally indicate the flex type - doesn't always mean that's always the ways to go

could be a couple of things that with the extra weight are playing into it - such as a change in the swing motion & release through lessons
look back to the stuff I mention would be worth considering over the swing video's a while back - that downswing release action plus the extra weight could well be giving the problems through constantly having to work the action a deal to get the shot results - meaning if any extra effort into impact either in adding a 'hit' or indeed trying to hold off the face rotation any can with extra weight & strain cause some damage

never saw the close-up of the grip hold and the position of the lead hand on the handle with those vids but just where the handle runs in the lead palm along with the position of the lead thumb could also play into the current difficulties

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
assuming you not aware of any particular swing or impact that initially resulted in marked pain

would look to probably the extra weight playing into the issues for sure

order of importance with shaft fitting is about 1st about length then weight being a paramount issue in the ability to control the swing and impact with 'flex' coming after that
& looking at flex in a ways that it helps to provide a high percentage of solid strikes - so the shaft able to release into impact with some consistency so trajectory & distance control - rather than just about this SS = this flex

& just because the SS says it hits somewheres in the band to normally indicate the flex type - doesn't always mean that's always the ways to go

could be a couple of things that with the extra weight are playing into it - such as a change in the swing motion & release through lessons
look back to the stuff I mention would be worth considering over the swing video's a while back - that downswing release action plus the extra weight could well be giving the problems through constantly having to work the action a deal to get the shot results - meaning if any extra effort into impact either in adding a 'hit' or indeed trying to hold off the face rotation any can with extra weight & strain cause some damage

never saw the close-up of the grip hold and the position of the lead hand on the handle with those vids but just where the handle runs in the lead palm along with the position of the lead thumb could also play into the current difficulties

Coach, an excellent write up on the possible cause of someone's problem. A lot better read than someone making comments based upon a lack of knowledge. 👍

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be RSI if your hitting to many balls off hard mats. Tone the practice down a bit or just practice on grass.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Coach

My grip is in a good place i think. Well my pro (ex Euro tour player) was pretty happy with in on my last lesson. That said i do have a tenancy to drift a little strong. Ill check tonight in front of the mirror. I agree on the "proper" fitting and not just SS equating to shaft flex. I will admit that i find the costs involved in purchasing new irons very prohibitive so i am reluctant to go all in.

@ Doh, not a bad call perhaps. I have always swept the ball with no divot however i am getting better at hitting down. Maybe that's to blame. I dont generally feel pain at impact though.

reference the grass driving range, honestly id much prefer it, however there are none local to me unfortunately