shaft question.....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've recently treated the amp driver and hybrids to new shafts, f1 motore stiff 65g in the driver and the same in 80g for the hybrids.

As results have been so great I'm looking for a same spec shaft to slip into the 3w, I'm struggling to find one despite missing two today which both went for £40 & £40.02, if I was to get another 65g motore f1 from a driver and have it cut would it play correctly, if not any other suggestions on a similar spec shaft for the fairway

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
i can be shorten butdont think its not a straight forward lob one end off, you have to be aware of kick point and balance etc...
is that the a real deal motore or the same as in TM tp?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I know OS, you don't buy a "Driver" shaft, you buy a wood shaft that (if brand new) is untipped/trimmed and usually around 46-48" long.
You then use the tip trimming guide to cut to length (for flex) for the wood you want to use (most commonly 0-1" for Driver, 1-2" for 3w and 1.5-3" for 5w (manufacturer dependent)).
So in my mind, you could buy a driver shaft that's been tipped for a driver, re-tip for the 3w and butt trim to length if needed.

That's what I would do anyway.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cutting down a driver shaft may feel light though. Fairway shafts are heavier, typically 70-75g to compensate for being shorter in length, which is why hybrid shafts are heavier still.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cutting down a driver shaft may feel light though. Fairway shafts are heavier, typically 70-75g to compensate for being shorter in length, which is why hybrid shafts are heavier still.

I've never seen a "fairway" shaft though. Look through stock on Gamola or the like and it's "wood" shafts that you buy in raw uncut/tipped form.
You then have to trim them yourself following the manufacturer specifications. Same with Hybrid shafts, you buy a raw length and then trim for #2, #3, #4 etc.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
As far as I know OS, you don't buy a "Driver" shaft, you buy a wood shaft that (if brand new) is untipped/trimmed and usually around 46-48" long.
You then use the tip trimming guide to cut to length (for flex) for the wood you want to use (most commonly 0-1" for Driver, 1-2" for 3w and 1.5-3" for 5w (manufacturer dependent)).
So in my mind, you could buy a driver shaft that's been tipped for a driver, re-tip for the 3w and butt trim to length if needed.

That's what I would do anyway.

+1 ^^^^^

Probably just wants 0.5" tip trim for a 3w but check the Manufacturers website for trimming instructions.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The standard rip in the 3w and driver is 55g, I've put a 65 in the driver with great results hence opting for a 65 in the 3w, just wanted confirmation that I wasn't making a mistake