Shaft flex

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What SS would be considered for a senior shaft?
My Ss is around 85 topping out at 90, my driver does not go any farther than my 3 wood really.
I tried out a 3 wood with a senior flex in it by mistake a while back and it was a beast for me (910f bassara)
My 7 iron is good for 140 and is a regular flex, high straight ball flight.
I'm turning 40 next week but would not be that embarrassed if it gives me more distance,not as fit as I used to be and
Not the tallest in the world either.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the shaft had too much flex, I would have thought you'd lose more left than right?

I am no techie when it comes to shafts! but.. when my shafts were too soft, i lost everything right. When i went on the trackman at the belfry James Ridyard said the club head was being left behind by the shaft as my swing was too quick for the shaft.. or something like that.. plus i am a hacker and my bad shot is still a slice..

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am no techie when it comes to shafts! but.. when my shafts were too soft, i lost everything right. When i went on the trackman at the belfry James Ridyard said the club head was being left behind by the shaft as my swing was too quick for the shaft.. or something like that.. plus i am a hacker and my bad shot is still a slice..

I would have thought the same. If too soft a flex the head will lag too far behind the hands causing it to then "whip through" to catch up at the bottom of the arc. This would cause it to then "slap" at the ball in a right to left passing motion casuing it to then fly left to right.
That's my understanding anyway, maybe not the best technical language or explanation as it's not 10am yet and I haven't had breakfast or coffee yet. But put a ball down and slap it with a right to left motion with your fingers and watch it spin left to right.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would have thought the same. If too soft a flex the head will lag too far behind the hands causing it to then "whip through" to catch up at the bottom of the arc. This would cause it to then "slap" at the ball in a right to left passing motion casuing it to then fly left to right.
That's my understanding anyway, maybe not the best technical language or explanation as it's not 10am yet and I haven't had breakfast or coffee yet. But put a ball down and slap it with a right to left motion with your fingers and watch it spin left to right.

My understanding differs somewhat :mad:

If the shaft is too flexible the he forward bending of the shaft in the downswing, coming into the ball , will happen earlier leaving the face pointing left through the hitting area.

By shaft bend I mean this:

LD.jpg

Notice the shaft bend is forward, not back.

The reverse could be said for a shaft that is too stiff where the forward bend, at the same point coming into impact, would be less leaving the clubface open.

I happy to be corrected by a expert in shaft tech (Ethan??).

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My understanding differs somewhat :mad:

If the shaft is too flexible the he forward bending of the shaft in the downswing, coming into the ball , will happen earlier leaving the face pointing left through the hitting area.

By shaft bend I mean this:

View attachment 7428

Notice the shaft bend is forward, not back.

The reverse could be said for a shaft that is too stiff where the forward bend, at the same point coming into impact, would be less leaving the clubface open.

I happy to be corrected by a expert in shaft tech (Ethan??).

Depends on the softness of the flex versus the speed at which it's travelling surely. A steel shaft, as pictured, will react somewhat differently to a graphite shaft that is potentially a foot or more longer (as length plays a part too).
I had high speed camera video taken of my swing using a regular flex driver, swing speed of 107mph and at halfway down the arc from the top the head was about a foot behind my hands, at impact it had shot forward. Resulting shot was a very severe left to right. Change to stiff shaft and, whilst still left to right caused by my swing, it was nowhere near as severe and the video showed that the head tracked my hands much better.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
See i would say my problem was the opposite of the above pic, with the shaft bending the other way leaving the club head behind..

See this pic i found on google:

shaft_flex.jpg

As i said, i am a muppet, so probably completely wrong! but it makes sense in my head!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends on the softness of the flex versus the speed at which it's travelling surely. A steel shaft, as pictured, will react somewhat differently to a graphite shaft that is potentially a foot or more longer (as length plays a part too).
I had high speed camera video taken of my swing using a regular flex driver, swing speed of 107mph and at halfway down the arc from the top the head was about a foot behind my hands, at impact it had shot forward. Resulting shot was a very severe left to right. Change to stiff shaft and, whilst still left to right caused by my swing, it was nowhere near as severe and the video showed that the head tracked my hands much better.

Here's a different picture of Luke Donald. This time hitting driver (Graphite shaft)

LD2.jpg

The forward bed is still evident at, and through impact.

I will concede that differing swings will have different results, but I'll stand by my understanding until I'm told I'm being a numpty :D

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
See i would say my problem was the opposite of the above pic, with the shaft bending the other way leaving the club head behind..

View attachment 7429

As i said, i am a muppet, so probably completely wrong! but it makes sense in my head!

This is exactly what I had in my swing video with the reg shaft. Head way behind the hands. Lowest part of the swing the head tries to catch up (gravity?) and causes it to just slap at the ball as your hands are past the ball by this time.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's a different picture of Luke Donald. This time hitting driver (Graphite shaft)

View attachment 7430

The forward bed is still evident at, and through impact.

I will concede that differing swings will have different results, but I'll stand by my understanding until I'm told I'm being a numpty :D

Yeah but I'm sure Luke will beusing the right shaft for his swing (x-stiff more than liklely - so pretty much like a steel shaft to us mere mortals). If you put a regular shaft in his driver I'm pretty sure that forward lean would disappear.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I could do nothing but hit low slices with a stiff anser. the shaft was like spaghetti. I got the sensation of the clubhead being still behind my ear when the hands were at imact. a jerky transition and trying to knock the spots off it will do just that!

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
This is exactly what I had in my swing video with the reg shaft. Head way behind the hands. Lowest part of the swing the head tries to catch up (gravity?) and causes it to just slap at the ball as your hands are past the ball by this time.

I wouldn't pay any attention to these pictures, it's called the rolling shutter effect and this is not what really happens to a shaft during the swing.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

View attachment 7429

Based on your picture and conclusion. Does this mean the shaft in the below picture is too stiff?

ldf.jpg