Shaft flex

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
To answer the OP's question, it may be worth testing some A flex shafts, although flex varies between brands and shaft weight is one if a number if other factors. One of the newer lightweight shafts such as KBS 90 might work in R flex.

On the subject of the effect of soft shafts, it depends on the player and their release of the club. Generally sift shafts increase dispersion and height and stiffer shafts reduce dispersion. A lot of players with shafts which are too soft will hook the ball but some will cut it too much. Depends on the player and shaft.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends on the softness of the flex versus the speed at which it's travelling surely. A steel shaft, as pictured, will react somewhat differently to a graphite shaft that is potentially a foot or more longer (as length plays a part too).
I had high speed camera video taken of my swing using a regular flex driver, swing speed of 107mph and at halfway down the arc from the top the head was about a foot behind my hands, at impact it had shot forward. Resulting shot was a very severe left to right. Change to stiff shaft and, whilst still left to right caused by my swing, it was nowhere near as severe and the video showed that the head tracked my hands much better.

Pretty sure that if you took the same videos with the camera upside down and looked at them frame by frame you'd see different (opposite shaft bend) results.

As SimonC posted a rolling shutter technique (think top left to bottom right) is normally used in these cameras, so a moving object, such as the head end of a golf swing could well have moved on by the time the image of that part of the frame is acquired. Propeller and Helicopter rotor blades can appear bent from the effect too.

Jackooo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure that if you took the same videos with the camera upside down and looked at them frame by frame you'd see different (opposite shaft bend) results.

As SimonC posted a rolling shutter technique (think top left to bottom right) is normally used in these cameras, so a moving object, such as the head end of a golf swing could well have moved on by the time the image of that part of the frame is acquired. Propeller and Helicopter rotor blades can appear bent from the effect too.

I dont think any of the pictures (actually frame grabs from videos) can be used for evidence of shaft flex. See this article on rolling shutters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Unless it is a high speed camera @ high frames per second or a photograph I wouldn't trust it for solving shaft flex theories!