Sex discrimination in golf

sammyboy

Visit site
As a male I have to do certain things to play golf at my club. I have to have my shirt tucked in. I have to have a collar on my shirt. I have to have fitted shorts that cannot be too short or too long. Yet it seems to be a free for all and women can dress as they please. What's that all about?

I'm also banned from playing at a certain time in the middle of the week. And the women refuse to let me through when they are holding me up after their allocated start times. For some reason they have to stay together in a pack hacking the ball 20yards each time they attempt to hit the ball. I am sure if I took 5 or 6 hours to complete a round and didn't let people through as a matter of principle something would be said.

The women also got access to the men's tournaments now. Which I have no problem with at all. But why can't I play in their midweek tournaments from a male tee? As they have no handicap limit surely rather than calling it the women's competition why not name is the high handicapper's comp?

The women have even had a toilet built at the halfway point which the men are now allowed to use! Whilst I can go for a wizz in the bushes if I need a crap am I expected to do that publically simply because I am a man?

I wondered if anyone else's club had this sort of sex discrimination? I'm not going to war to wear 3/4 length trousers and sleeveless tops. But if the women don't have to tuck their shirts in then I fail to see why I should. If your club has had these problems has anyone fixed it? I'm sorely tempted to claim to be a transitioning women so I can get the benefits which are denied to me simply because I was born with a penis.

sammyboy

Visit site
For the white knights who have a problem with what I say...

Can you explain why ladies shouldn't have shirts tucked in but men should?

Can you explain to me why men shouldn't be able to use a toilet but women can?

Can you explain to me why certain parts of the week should be excluded to one sex only?

Can you explain to me why it's okay to refuse to let someone play through because they are a different sex? I'd challenge any man who refused to let a women play through (and hold her up) simply because she was a women so it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm always happy to learn - and am always willing to say when I'm wrong. But I would require a bit more intelligence than simply 'blokes like you'.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Can you explain to me why certain parts of the week should be excluded to one sex only?

Can you explain to me why it's okay to refuse to let someone play through because they are a different sex? I'd challenge any man who refused to let a women play through (and hold her up) simply because she was a women so it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm always happy to learn - and am always willing to say when I'm wrong. But I would require a bit more intelligence than simply 'blokes like you'.
Clubs are allowed to positively discriminate towards a group that is under-represented in it's membership.
And Pedal Pushers really don't suit me. Skirts on the other hand ..................

sammyboy

Visit site
Clubs are allowed to positively discriminate towards a group that is under-represented in it's membership.
And Pedal Pushers really don't suit me. Skirts on the other hand ..................

Semantics. But positive discrimination is entirely unlawful. But positive action is lawful. https://assets.publishing.service.g...hment_data/file/85026/vcs-positive-action.pdf

I think most clubs would struggle to justify the tucking in of shirts as breaking down the barriers for female golf participation.

In fact I think most clubs would run a mile and back down pronto if someone pushed them on it. But it's not diplomatic to do so.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can't see why they didn't build 2 (or more) loos! An old (Scottish fwiw) club of mine did exactly that!
Of course, only the Men's one needed signs in it stating 'If you make a mess, clean it up' (or words to that effect)!

As for the rest....Women tend to be extremely tidily dressed - even if their top is outside their skirt/shorts etc. Men on the other hand, look scruffy with shirts out. Another previous club did change their 'standards' to allow 'bobble-socks' for both sexes - an entirely sensible adjustment for (vain) men!
I don'r believe my current club has specific (or perhaps any) code for on-course apparel, but everyone seems fine. There's deliberately no clubhouse standard, as calling in on the way home from work is encouraged!

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My place has an equal dress code. I heard this straight from the golf managers mouth, 'If ladies can have their tops out, so can men'. Plenty do, we haven't been struck down by lightning so far ?

I don't get this as an issue. It really doesn't matter but then that applies to most dress code issues imo.

We also have a portaloo after the 9th, open for use for anyone. Not sure why it would be restricted to one sex only at the op's place.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Oh thank GOD. Someone else has noticed that us men are getting poo'ed on and the women folk are taking the proverbial.

SasquatchSQ

Visit site

1) because a lot of women's shirts aren't designed to be tucked in. Men's polo shirts are.

2) men should have a toilet. But if you only have space/money to build one for now, women's should be a priority, for obvious reasons.

3) because female golfers are often the butt of jokes or made to feel unwelcome by a small minority of men. Do you have problem with there being a time reserved for juniors?

4) that's not ok, unless it means you'd be impinging on a women's only allocated slot.

The fact that you think anyone who disagrees with you is a "white knight" makes me think you don't want actual answers though.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The shirts tucked in issue has been raised on a fair few threads recently.
Most clubs are quite clear that shirts designed to be worn untucked (men and women) can be. I think this will progress further, let’s be honest, in the past the physiques of the pros weren’t what they are now (generally), so an untucked xxl shirt looked horrific.