Sergio to Ping?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing announced but he's got Blueprint irons and 410 driver in the bag in Dubai this week.

Also hear that Ping and Matt Wallace have parted company, again no announcements.

D

Deleted member 23344

Why would Ping or any other company want to be associated with him? He’s a childish PR nightmare. If I were them, I’d pay him not to use my clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is he that relevant any more? This is a big year for him after a very poor PR year for him last year. He was challenging Kuchar for biggest clown of 2019.

Of course he is still relevant - why wouldn’t he be ? Still in the top 50 in the world , will prob go to the Ryder Cup again , a massive draw around the world when he plays , top points scorer in RC , Masters Champ recently.

Why would he no longer be relevant ?

Why would Ping or any other company want to be associated with him? He’s a childish PR nightmare. If I were them, I’d pay him not to use my clubs.

For the exact reasons above

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course he is still relevant - why wouldn’t he be ? Still in the top 50 in the world , will prob go to the Ryder Cup again , a massive draw around the world when he plays , top points scorer in RC , Masters Champ recently.

Why would he no longer be relevant ?

For the exact reasons above
His best years are behind him, he is now in decline, inevitable with all golfers as they get older. That doesn't stop a company taking someone on but when they behave as he did at various points last year then I don't see why you would want to be associated with him. His brand was tarnished last year and I can't see him contending enough this year to outweigh the negative.

Feel free to be outraged and have a different opinion, others are allowed.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Is he that relevant any more? This is a big year for him after a very poor PR year for him last year. He was challenging Kuchar for biggest clown of 2019.

I don't know if it's that big a year for him. I'd guess Ryder Cup will be the main goal, which will probably help to focus him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he had a decent year and is in the Ryder Cup team

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
His best years are behind him, he is now in decline, inevitable with all golfers as they get older. That doesn't stop a company taking someone on but when they behave as he did at various points last year then I don't see why you would want to be associated with him. His brand was tarnished last year and I can't see him contending enough this year to outweigh the negative.

If guys like Clarke can gain a Major then Sergio has another in him. As Phil pointed out his RC record last year was incredible. Didn't see that coming nor did I expect it. Shows that when his head is in the game he clearly can compete.

And of course, different opinions are allowed, don't think anyone has ever said otherwise.

D

Deleted member 15344

who is outraged ?

And when was it decided he is on the decline - Sergio has been written off before he then went and won the Masters , written off again - into the Ryder Cup . He will still challenge for tournaments - he has just turned 40 , still got plenty years left at the top.

I think he won 3 times in tour last year - was top ten many times including at the Dubai Champs at the end of season champs

Yes he had issues with what happened but don’t let that cloud any judgement on him as a golfer

Ping know he is still one of the biggest names in golf and will still be very much in the limelight.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If guys like Clarke can gain a Major then Sergio has another in him. As Phil pointed out his RC record last year was incredible. Didn't see that coming nor did I expect it. Shows that when his head is in the game he clearly can compete.

And of course, different opinions are allowed, don't think anyone has ever said otherwise.
His Ryder Cup performance was 2018, and yes it was superb, but he got in via a Captain's pick, he did not qualify. I suspect if he had not been such a child last year my view would be different but if I was Ping and looking long term at the whole package he brings then I would not be signing him.

My last point was not made at you, I get bored of some posts that are utterly indignant that someone can have a different opinion. As long as you can back it up then we can all debate different things. It is how any forum work and we generally have a good deal of fun doing it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know if it's that big a year for him. I'd guess Ryder Cup will be the main goal, which will probably help to focus him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he had a decent year and is in the Ryder Cup team
I was meaning in terms of cleaning up his image. He can bob along and bring in big money, no question, but his profile was badly damaged last year.