Selsdon Golf Course to close

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
The hotel and grounds have been sold and will close on 31st December. Whether there's any future for golf there at any point after that is unclear, but seems unlikely.

This means my club is having to re-home itself for the second time in seven years after the closure of Beckenham Place Park in 2016.

Hmph.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Covid can't have helped in anyway a hotel that made most of its revenue from weddings.

Shame the course will go, as always one I've played and thought it had potential to be more than decent with a little more tlc.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to live not far away in Sanderstead in the 1980s. At that time, it was Japanese owned … parties would fly in from Japan for a week’s golf, as it was still cheaper that way than actually playing in Japan. I never played it … perhaps I should before it closes.

sunshine

Visit site
Years ago it was renowned for one of the teams in the FA Cup Final to stay there.
Sadly now that’s lost it’s value, that means another chunk of cash lost

That’s a bit random. Croydon doesn’t strike me as being convenient for Wembley. Especially if the club is north of London

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of premier teams used the course when playing palace and I believe in the past it had also held high profile pro am events and qualifiers. Over the last 20 years the hotel has fallen in quality and now needs major refurb works to remain a premium spa stay as intended. The way back for this venue is to be a course with hotel as its layout is great, but at the moment it’s a run down hotel with no revenue to invest in the course ….. but there is hope.

It was sold recently to a company who own other resort style courses that are know for investment although I can’t recal the name, I believe it may have started “ birch “ something.

Today a friend received this email and as you will see it hints at a refurb but is this a tosh over or the much loved investment it needed.

Dear All

I regret to inform you that due to events outside of our control we are no longer able to provide golf at De Vere Selsdon Estate Hotel beyond 31st December 2021.

The hotel and golf course has been sold to a third party and is being closed for a full refurbishment.

If you would like to discuss this matter please contact me directly I am in the shop all weekend however I am away next week until 6th December.

Please call me or pop in to see me in the shop where I am more than happy to have a chat & a cup of tea.

I would like to thank you all for your continued support over the years I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with you all.

Kind Regards

| Golf Manager
De Vere Selsdon Estate
Addington Road | South Croydon

Last edited:

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Lots of premier teams used the course when playing palace and I believe in the past it had also held high profile pro am events and qualifiers. Over the last 20 years the hotel has fallen in quality and now needs major refurb works to remain a premium spa stay as intended. The way back for this venue is to be a course with hotel as its layout is great, but at the moment it’s a run down hotel with no revenue to invest in the course ….. but there is hope.

It was sold recently to a company who own other resort style courses that are know for investment although I can’t recal the name, I believe it may have started “ birch “ something.

Today a friend received this email and as you will see it hints at a refurb but is this a tosh over or the much loved investment it needed.

Dear All

I regret to inform you that due to events outside of our control we are no longer able to provide golf at De Vere Selsdon Estate Hotel beyond 31st December 2021.

The hotel and golf course has been sold to a third party and is being closed for a full refurbishment.

Yeah that's the same email the 5 and 7 day members got from Caroline the manager.

We also heard the 'Birch' name. The hypothesis is that the site will become a closed-gate wellness venue with 'glamping' accommodation.

Prior to the pandemic the hotel seemed reasonably busy. Coming off from the 18th we'd often see a wedding reception going on, but even without those there was still a lot of activity. Since the pandemic most of the time the hotel is dark and silent. It's awfully sad. Shame the new owners aren't interested in maintaining the golf course (which was always in demand and busy).

sunshine

Visit site
I went for dinner at Birch cheshunt recently (zebra riding club). This used to be De Vere Theobolds Place. Very different vibe, more Shoreditch than corporate hotel chain. It was really busy so they are obviously doing something right.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The full name of the company indicated they were more a resort company with courses which hinted more inwards investment instead of a complete change of use.

Would be gutting to lose the layout of the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shame. Played it a few times (didn't the ex Palace chairman Ron Noades own it at one point?). Remember going down as a teenager for a celebrity pro-am and saw a lot of the footballers of the day. Was a good course to play and was always in good nick. Never went to the hotel so can't comment on that part of it

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, the fact that all the pro-shop staff are losing their jobs does not suggest the course has any future beyond December.

Is that because it’s cheaper to get rid than have them on the payroll for a year with no return?

* that question is raised on hope as I really don’t want it to close. If it sees investment and it’s own clubhouse I’d join it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rumours seem to be building momentum on the glamping side, I’m a member of two of the local community pages and it seems that’s the message via stuff/ex staff.

Gutted!