Self diagnosis - can you do it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is your fault?

It is a timing issue where the weight transfer sometimes is out of sync with the upper body which results in big pushed slices.

Many years ago (pre video days) the coach I used could not see where it was coming from because my swing was so fast back then. For every 100 yards forward I was 50 yards right given that I could drive the ball nearly 300 yards back then it meant I often finished on the other side of an adjoining fairway. I gave up, playing and just used to go to the range a couple of days a week until one day I hit a perfect 2 iron with draw then did not hit another ball until I work out what I had one differently.

When the fault creeps in I some times spend too much time working on swing plane/path before I remember what the fault is likely to be.

Springveldt

Visit site
Here's what I mean.
The lone tree is my target, my feet are way right and my shoulders are square-ish

View attachment 31634

Even though everything isn't text book, the ball heads for the tree

This is what I need to start doing. My miss is 99% of the time a straight pull left. That feels like my natural swing path.
Instead I fight it by trying to feel if I’m swing at 1 o’clock (if the target is 12) but the miss ends up swinging at 11 with a square face.
I think I need to go back to pulling my right foot back a touch just like the video.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So your swing path was probably in to out a bit and the clubface open to the swingpath

Yep that is why first recourse has always been to check grip, alignment, swing path etc and why it takes a few drives on the course to realise what is causing it. Bearing in mind that it does not happen with every drive just one every so often and sometimes towards the end of a round when I am getting tired and the painkillers have worn off.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have an issue where I sometimes leave the club face way open at impact so the ball squirts right. I know the fault but dont have a clue how to fix it ?‍♂️

If you are right handed, turn your left hand a little clockwise on the grip. Just a touch and that should square up the face at impact.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I have an issue where I sometimes leave the club face way open at impact so the ball squirts right. I know the fault but dont have a clue how to fix it ?‍♂️
I also have a massive snap hook as well so I dare not do that ?

Both these faults can come from an in to out swingpath. The push comes when the face is square to the swingpath, the hook, when the face is square to the target line, therefore closed to the swingpath.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I also have a massive snap hook as well so I dare not do that ?

The snaphook is not caused by a strong grip
The snapper is a result of fearing a hook.
The body stops turning and the arms swing round and overtake you, flipping the club over.
Go on the range, hit some balls and turn hard through impact. You won't snap hook as long as you keep turning

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both these faults can come from an in to out swingpath. The push comes when the face is square to the swingpath, the hook, when the face is square to the target line, therefore closed to the swingpath.

Opposite mate, I have an out to in swing path so my bad shots are a big slice where I've left the clubface open and a hook where I've closed it and the ball has shot off left.
I think I may need some drills for clubface control ??

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
A slice. Sounded like a push from your description.

My normal shot shape is a fade, open the face a smidge and it starts right and keeps going like a banana, I don't have a push right in my armour as such. My hook is with a closed club face which is more closed than the swing path if that makes sense, starts left and has a more draw shape and goes absolutely miles ?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My normal shot shape is a fade, open the face a smidge and it starts right and keeps going like a banana, I don't have a push right in my armour as such. My hook is with a closed club face which is more closed than the swing path if that makes sense, starts left and has a more draw shape and goes absolutely miles ?
That makes sense &, as you say, it's a problem with both swing path & face angle.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
But really you're describing the problem 99.999% of all of us golfers have to varying degrees. That's one of the issues that make the game so tough.
Grip position obviously helps, but with the clubhead often moving at over 100 mph, it doesn't take much to be slightly inconsistent.

You obviously haven't seen me play and how far left and right my shots can go ??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You obviously haven't seen me play and how far left and right my shots can go ??

Swing back and stop when the clubshaft is parallel to the ground. Then check and see the position of the clubhead.
Is it pointing straight up or turned down slightly like Luke below?

InkedUntitledhhh_LI.jpg