Seed SD-01 half price sale

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just got mine. Have to say I understand why they needed removing but in reality the misprints aren’t that noticeable. Absolute steel.
Mine arrived yesterday. Haven't inspected them in fine detail but on cursory glance I'd say the vast majority have the green circle less than 1mm out of place. Some of them frankly look pretty much perfect.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got an email saying they'd sold out of the Yellow ball so would send me 4 doz of the new ones at same price. Arrived today & are the shade of 'yellow' that I really like!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Mine arrived yesterday. Haven't inspected them in fine detail but on cursory glance I'd say the vast majority have the green circle less than 1mm out of place. Some of them frankly look pretty much perfect.
Pick one up and stare at the number 😉. There’s some definite wonkiness but you would notice otherwise.

JSmith2000

Visit site
Has anyone noticed that these discounted seed balls are not the same quality as the full price ones?
I had a subscription for the SD-01 ball in 2021 and loved them, saw no difference between them and expensive ones. So I thought that the 'wrong uns' 100 pack looked like a great deal as I don't care much about cosmetic imperfections. However, after playing a couple of rounds with these balls I don't think they are of the same quality. They sound very 'clicky' off the clubface (especially noticable putting), and seem harder than the seeds I used to pay full price for. Has anyone else noticed this?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I ordered 100 and am convinced they are completely different. Not the same quality as the full price option. Clicky sound and hard feeling
They are the old version of the ball with a compression that is quite a bit higher than the newer ball so will sound more clicky and feel harder.

There is a very clear difference between the sound of 01 and 02 which I presume is the compression. I prefer the sound of the current 01.

I’ve had the same with different year models of Pro V1.

JSmith2000

Visit site
They are the old version of the ball with a compression that is quite a bit higher than the newer ball so will sound more clicky and feel harder.

There is a very clear difference between the sound of 01 and 02 which I presume is the compression. I prefer the sound of the current 01.

I’ve had the same with different year models of Pro V1.
I know what you mean but I was a subscriber in 2022 for the SD-01, which should have been the same compression, and in my opinion these discounted balls are completely different. I think there is something amiss with their cover...

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I know what you mean but I was a subscriber in 2022 for the SD-01, which should have been the same compression, and in my opinion these discounted balls are completely different. I think there is something amiss with their cover...
You had me wondering. Yes much more clicky when rubbing together so I cut a couple open. White one is an sd15. Middle is a wrongun and bottom is possibly a second rather than 3rd gen 01 as I found it last year.

The wrongun is still three layer but different materials. I’ll do a garage sim test tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 31

Springveldt

Visit site
You had me wondering. Yes much more clicky when rubbing together so I cut a couple open. White one is an sd15. Middle is a wrongun and bottom is possibly a second rather than 3rd gen 01 as I found it last year.

The wrongun is still three layer but different materials. I’ll do a garage sim test tonight.
Going all GolfSpy on us and cutting them open, love it. :)

I'm on the verge of needing new balls for this season (only got a few left from last year) and even if Titleist put a 4 for 3 on you are still looking at £150 for 48 balls so I'm ruling them out. I like the AVX is used for most of the season but I loved the yellow ProV1 that I used at the end of the season. Can't justify that kind of cash for golf balls though and eBay prices on 2nd hand ones aren't cheap either.

I might just buy these and see how they go.

JSmith2000

Visit site

Hmm. Good to know, thanks for feedback. Let us know how they compare on the sim...

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Going all GolfSpy on us and cutting them open, love it. :)

I'm on the verge of needing new balls for this season (only got a few left from last year) and even if Titleist put a 4 for 3 on you are still looking at £150 for 48 balls so I'm ruling them out. I like the AVX is used for most of the season but I loved the yellow ProV1 that I used at the end of the season. Can't justify that kind of cash for golf balls though and eBay prices on 2nd hand ones aren't cheap either.

I might just buy these and see how they go.
Indeed😂. I’ve put a yellow AVX an SD01 (pro v equivalent) side by side. The seed yellow really sticks out by comparison.

I’ve been a big fan of AVX as I found it helped straighten my flight but having tried all seed models I prefer the 01 which you can get in yellow. It’s a shame you can’t get all models in yellow though and not a fan of other colours anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpeg
    IMG_0823.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 23

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Played my first round with a wrong-un SD-01 today. (White, if that's relevant).
Others have mentioned that they have a "clicky" sound. What confused me was that the ball I used sometimes sounded clicky and sometimes didn't.
Could it be that they are more sensitive than other balls about whether they are hit out of the sweet spot?
(I had a pretty good round, so no complaints from me about quality. At £70 for 50, they are a steal).

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Hmm. Good to know, thanks for feedback. Let us know how they compare on the sim...
So, in my unscientific test and taking out the outliers, the wrongun performed amazingly similar to what I now know in the above pic is gen 3 ball. I benchmarked both generations against an SD15 which I know is just shy of 10yards shorter and the results were as I expected. I used a method of hitting 5 shots with different balls multiple times to ensure each had a turn in my peak swing flow. Driver is a little more variable for me but again both generations were carrying above what the sd15 was.

It’s hard to tell in a garage but I could only notice the clickiness of the ball when it hit the concrete. There was a tiny bit of feel difference but the numbers were fine. I’m thinking a wedge test may show the new gen ball to feel a little softer off the face.