Seed of recovery

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most of the regular contributors will know that I've had a deep depression of form and basically bee hacking it round.

Went out today in sunny but very windy conditions and although I didn't score that well there are definite seeds of recovery.

My driving was still erratic but the actual strike was more solid. My irons were ok but I seemed to be losing fistance. Club selection in the wind was also trick and it may be that I was striking the ball ok but my perception was distorted by the effect of the gusty wind.

Putting and chipping still not great. Too many two and three putt greens. Not getting it close enough from off the green.

Still I'm feeling a lot more positive. Got the monthly stableford tomorrow and seem to have gone and got a streaming cold over the last 24 hours. Still onwards and upwards

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
just keep banging away at it mate. I find when it all goes tats up, i tend to go back to basics and practice the most basic of drills. Works everytime.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Most of the regular contributors will know that I've had a deep depression of form and basically bee hacking it round.

Went out today in sunny but very windy conditions and although I didn't score that well there are definite seeds of recovery.

My driving was still erratic but the actual strike was more solid. My irons were ok but I seemed to be losing fistance. Club selection in the wind was also trick and it may be that I was striking the ball ok but my perception was distorted by the effect of the gusty wind.

Putting and chipping still not great. Too many two and three putt greens. Not getting it close enough from off the green.

Still I'm feeling a lot more positive. Got the monthly stableford tomorrow and seem to have gone and got a streaming cold over the last 24 hours. Still onwards and upwards

Just a thought what grip do you use ie overlap/interlock????

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use the interlocking. Got quite small hands so used it from day 1. Not going to change now!!

Well then not much point in me telling you this story but i will anyhow.

I have been playing for around five and a half years now started off 14 and in 18 months came down to 10 then moved from my course at Oxford back upto Yorkshire. Since joining my new club i have been 10-11-10-11-12- for love nor money could i get to single figs.

Untill on the range i was telling my friend how he will never be any good while useing the baseball grip. So he said have you tried it and i said well i will try anything once and so i did.I went from 12 to 8.9 in 6 weeks its just seems to let me release through the ball so much easier.

I was a interlocker like you and thought i would never change but maybe on the range just give it a go.Maybe the mental side of things worked for me ie somthing new just kick started my game.But for whatever reason i could not brake into single figs even getting as close as 9.5 then went back up till i changed.

Good Luck with your game.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a similar vein to Homer, I too have been suffering; in my case a complete inability to swing an iron. So Saturday I took myself off to a new pro (well I was offered a cheapie intro lesson - nothing to lose).

Good set-up, inside-outside video studio, was handed a bucket of balls on arrival to warm-up. Lesson starts, swing at a couple of balls.
First problem identified - my glasses (I have varifocals) - in order to focus on the ball at address I need to view through the bottom of the lens. This it seems causes me to drop my head such that the chin is tucked in, therefore impossible to get the left shoulder below the chin on the backswing, so the cause of me dropping the left shoulder. (First recommendation - get some single vision lenses for golf making sure that they are close fitting. Jason, the pro, also wears glasses and has had to go the same route.)
It moved on from there; stance too wide, not transferring weight or at least not at the right time. And that's just the beginning it seems. I hope to find them all out over the coming weeks.
So, I now have a routine to practice both in the range and on the course - so if any of you see a senior version of Calcavecchia (my beard is better than his!) performing a strange step-step-swing dance routine on a course near you, don't call the men in white coats!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a similar experience, was getting frustrated and due to illness had a lesson with the assistant pro as opposed the the pro himself. He made some minor adjustments to my grip, stance and tempo that have made a huge diferrence to my consistancy. Not saying that my old teacher was bad, far from it, just think it took a second opinion to find the swing that suited me.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Guys,I have the great good fortune to be seeing one of the GM top 25 coaches. I am new to posting so I genuinely dont know if I should name him and therefore will take the route of caution.
Previously I saw several really good guys 3 of whom are now among my best mates but from the first lesson this was different gravy! Simple,logical,easy to implement changes,all I had to do was enjoy my golf more.

His basis is to work with what you have and he keeps asking "did you enjoy that strike?" what a joy!

In 2 years he has cut my handicap in half,8 to 4.

I suppose what I am taking a long time to say is,find a good Pro and trust them.

Delighted you are enjoying how you are playing Homer, it is why we do this mad thing!!