Season goals - update

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a strange season so far to say the least. How's everyones pre-season goals going?
Mine was to break 80. Not done it yet, had a couple around 83/84 so not far off, just need to cut out a couple of the silly mistakes . Still a few weeks hopefully until the course gets shortened so confident it will happen
Anyone hit their targets yet?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think I need to revisit my goals and maybe change them to joining a bowls club :unsure:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got to 12 which is where I think I said I wanted to get to. Swing still too erratic and too many moving parts and short game in and out but to be honest, even my poor rounds are far better than they use to be. Closer to 30 points most times rather than the 25-26 points it use to be. Won a major and had several top two and three finishes so overall have to be very happy

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolute car crash for me, I've gone from 12 to 14 handicap, didn't pass go and didn't collect £200 ?

However, my driver actually performed yesterday at Bearwood, the irons were ok/decent, chipping and putting was both good and bad, so 30 points was quite acceptable and I just hope that autumn sees a restoration of the 12 handicap that I've played off for some years

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can't remember what my goals - apart from playing and enjoying - were but im pretty pleased with progress so far.
Ellesborough is a tricky course. You have to miss in the right place or you're racking up a score.
Really struggled coming back from Lockdown but have got to grips with a lot of the nuances of the course.
Played 4 comps, won 1, came 2nd in another and solidly mid-table in the others.
After many 0.1s putting in supplementary cards before comps started, I've recouped the losses and am actually lower, at 7.9, than when I joined (8.1)
I'm told that most people go up a shot or 2 when they join but come back down after a year or so....so I cant be unhappy with being lower after 6 months.
Just got 1 hole left before I've birdied them all...hope to do that soon.
So quietly chuffed with my Summer......

D

Deleted member 1147

My aim was to play more and get better.
I have played quite a bit, thanks to working from home.
I managed to go down a shot. But have now gone above where I started, and have struggled in recent times. Mainly thanks to my appendicitis not being operated on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Absolute car crash for me, I've gone from 12 to 14 handicap, didn't pass go and didn't collect £200 ?

However, my driver actually performed yesterday at Bearwood, the irons were ok/decent, chipping and putting was both good and bad, so 30 points was quite acceptable and I just hope that autumn sees a restoration of the 12 handicap that I've played off for some years
You'll get that back I'm sure. Only needs a couple of good rounds.

D

Deleted member 25172

Had to look up the 2020 Goal-thread to see what I put in there.

My goals was to practice more and get my handicap down from 9 to 6-7.

Both targets have been met as I’m at 6.1 and have practiced a fair bit, mainly on and around the green, this year.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You'll get that back I'm sure. Only needs a couple of good rounds.

I was having some regular lesson over the year and I think it may have just been regularly changing things that put my swing out of my comfort zone, but fingers crossed you're right ??

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After pretty ropey 2019 my which saw me creep up to 12.6 my goal was to get back down to 11.

Having got down to my lowest ever handicap 10 I’m creeping up to 11. Never over achieve.?

D

Deleted member 1147

Had to look up the 2020 Goal-thread to see what I put in there.

My goals was to practice more and get my handicap down from 9 to 6-7.

Both targets have been met as I’m at 6.1 and have practiced a fair bit, mainly on and around the green, this year.
Have you a link to that, I’m struggling to find it?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just checked, I didn’t have any.. guess that was where my head was.
Upshot is 4 comps entered 2 increases and then 2 top 5 finishes in big competitions one off the back back tees. A reduction in handicap by 0.9.
Biggest result is I am happy with my iron play, my driving gives me a wobble, however I just go back to basics and recover. The challenge is to maintain the momentum and take it to my limited season next year.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I want to go sub 100 this year.

Having joined a club late last year I saw how much better players than me are that shot mid 80s to 90s, I leave that for once I consistently beat 100.
Did it twice of the yellows, once for 93 and once for 97.

Of the whites in competitions I scored 101 once and a couple of 104s. But not much over 110 at all.

Right now I can’t hit a ball without tipping it (again) so it will not come down that quickly. I need more range time to get some swing going again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't remember what they all were. I can remember the two main ones.

• Break 80 - have shot 80 on the nose so I know I'm not far from it. But no.
  • Get handicap down to 14 - have shot two social rounds of ten over gross, so I know I'm not far from it. But no.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't have season goals but with my kids off to school I've now got myself a free morning each week. I'm hoping to finally play (more than once a fortnight/three weeks) and practice a bit to see if I can actually get my mid-teens handicap down. Not sure whether to do driving range, practice ground or hit the gym more to do the Bryson route!

D

Deleted member 1147

Be healthy - nope
Play more - yes
No club matches to play
Practiced a bit, but not enough
Get below 3 - nope, got down to 3, but am back to 4
☹️

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play more golf - check
Improve - check
Try not to score over 90 for 18 - check
Shoot under par around par 3 - fail (been very close a few times and still time yet!)

Same again next year!