Scotty Cameron bashing

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I posted on Imurg's thread (Overrated/Underrated), but didn't want to drag that off topic, so I started this.

Why are Scotty Camerons 'bashed' so much on here?

I posted:

I don't mind telling anyone I paid £210 for my Del Mar. Brand spankin new!

Would I pay it again? Yes. Would I pay more? Yes. Are they over priced comapred other brands? I don't think so, no.

Has anybody seen the price of the Odyssey Protype iX #9HT Putter? They' currently going out at more than I paid for my Del Mar, but no one seems to be slating them?

Or.....

How about a Ping NOME TR Adjustable putter, a lot, lot more than what I paid for my Cameron. No one seems to be slating Ping.

The only thing Scotty Cameron don't do, that the above brands do, is offer a 'budget' line of putters, and why should they when their market line is "Fine Milled Putters".

It's quite often, on here, said that they are just copys Ping's Anser model, but surely that can be said foy any:

Nike
Taylormade
Rife
Odyssey
Mizuno
Bettinardi
Piretti
Cleveland
Never Compromise

Putter that has an Anser-Style head? Yet Scotty is the only brand that gets stick for it :confused:

Yes. Scotty Cameron putters are expensive, but so are putters from the OEM's mentioned above (Including, but not exclusive to, Odyssey Protype iX #9HT, Ping NOME TR Adjustable putter et' al')

Yes. Scotty Cameron crib'd the look of the Anser-Style head shape, so did the other OEM's listed above above :mad:

Titleist/Camerons aren't aggressively marketed. When the Futura X was released there was hardly a murmor.

There aren't massively bold claims made as to the nature of the putter.

There's no massive 'hype' or grand product launch.

I don't get it :confused: Why do Scottys get the bashing they do?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I think it’s a matter of taste, if you don’t like them you are not likely to pay that much for a putter, especially when you can get a similar style for half the price.

I’ve 3 Scotty’s my self, great putters in my opinion, that are well made, if slightly overpriced.

Mine for instance were all purchased for less than £200 each and all brand new.

I always wonder why guys will happily pay almost £300 for a new driver every couple of years but bulk at less than that for a putter you will use on every hole.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I posted on Imurg's thread (Overrated/Underrated), but didn't want to drag that off topic, so I started this.

I posted:

It's quite often, on here, said that they are just copys Ping's Anser model, but surely that can be said foy any:

Nike
Taylormade
Rife
Odyssey
Mizuno
Bettinardi
Piretti
Cleveland
Never Compromise

Putter that has an Anser-Style head? Yet Scotty is the only brand that gets stick for it :confused:

Yes. Scotty Cameron putters are expensive, but so are putters from the OEM's mentioned above (Including, but not exclusive to, Odyssey Protype iX #9HT, Ping NOME TR Adjustable putter et' al')

Yes. Scotty Cameron crib'd the look of the Anser-Style head shape, so did the other OEM's listed above above :mad:

Titleist/Camerons aren't aggressively marketed. When the Futura X was released there was hardly a murmor.

I'm not a fan of the putters but don't bash them, just never tried one I particularly liked. They look very nice though and I'm sure are very well made.

Where I disagree with you is the "no hype". Cameron's are possibly the most hyped putters out there with a collectors club, people paying £50+ for a headcover and thousands for a "tour rat" etc. again, I have no problem with that, each to their own.

They have been very successful at marketing in a similar way to TM and established a very good brand name that people will pay top whack for. Their profit margins must be huge.

If I ever found one that I liked I would buy it no problem, just haven't yet.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

I posted:

Nike
Taylormade
Rife
Odyssey
Mizuno
Bettinardi
Piretti
Cleveland
Never Compromise

Aargghh, the cost isn't the issue. It's the cult-like following that they have. I could argue that they are under priced based on the following they have. In my opinion (as an ex Scotty owner), they are no better than other brands. They are no worse either. I'm not bashing the equipment. Just the almost religious fervour that follows them around.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the putters but don't bash them, just never tried one I particularly liked. They look very nice though and I'm sure are very well made.

Where I disagree with you is the "no hype". Cameron's are possibly the most hyped putters out there with a collectors club, people paying £50+ for a headcover and thousands for a "tour rat" etc. again, I have no problem with that, each to their own.

They have been very successful at marketing in a similar way to TM and established a very good brand name that people will pay top whack for. Their profit margins must be huge.

If I ever found one that I liked I would buy it no problem, just haven't yet.

What I mean by 'hype', is generally based around product launches. Scottys new product launches are, yes, eagerly anticiptaed but generally not hyped out of all proportion like Callaway, TM etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Quite simply its because 'sea mist' isn't a colour :D

Edit to add: actually I quite like the look of the blades (but doubt I could justify the cash) the rest of the range are hideous (but that goes for all manufactures of mallets/spaceships etc not just SC)

Last edited:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
What I mean by 'hype', is generally based around product launches. Scottys new product launches are, yes, eagerly anticiptaed but generally not hyped out of all proportion like Callaway, TM etc.

In the US they have an annual conference ere they launch pich mark repairers etc!!

As bluewolf said, I just don't get why that brand in particular has such a cult like following rather than, say, Bettinardi or Kevin Burns?

I guess it's a little hard to have a huge product launch claiming all sorts of benefits for a putter aswell? Although the versa had an advert I'm sure....

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an example of the following they have, why, out of all the items listed in the over-hyped category, is the Scotty Cameron brand the only one that gets its own thread questioning it? You have no issue with Titleist, Mizuno, Miura?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
As an example of the following they have, why, out of all the items listed in the over-hyped category, is the Scotty Cameron brand the only one that gets its own thread questioning it? You have no issue with Titleist, Mizuno, Miura?

Mizuno I see as quite similar with a very strong brand following. Seems a bit odd to me that their isn't (at least not that I know of) a forum dedicated to a titleist/Callaway etc.

Not sure they sell tour stamped irons for £10k right enough!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Too expensive. At least a driver you get to stand up and hit as hard as you can, putters really dont need to be all that and charging that amount for a name is ludicrous.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

I have absolutely zero issue with people being brand loyal or other manufactureres being hyped.

I just find it strange, when it comes to putters that the Scotty Cameron comes in for so much flack.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Too expensive. At least a driver you get to stand up and hit as hard as you can, putters really dont need to be all that and charging that amount for a name is ludicrous.

Like I said B, it's not just Scotty in that price bracket though. Other OEM's have more than one model in that price bracket.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have absolutely zero issue with people being brand loyal or other manufactureres being hyped.

I just find it strange, when it comes to putters that the Scotty Cameron comes in for so much flack.
I'm not criticising the putters. They make some beautiful kit. The problem is the hype that surrounds them. And NWJ is correct, Mizuno are in a similar position, just not as far along as SC.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there is an opinion that some Scotty owners like to have them just so they can say 'I use a Scotty Cameron'. It's a premium brand that will spawn brand snobbery in some people, determined to have it just so they can show it off.

For me, having owned one in the past, they have great looks and construction, but don't perform any better than other milled putters at a cheaper price point.

Horses for courses.

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Aargghh, the cost isn't the issue. It's the cult-like following that they have. I could argue that they are under priced based on the following they have. In my opinion (as an ex Scotty owner), they are no better than other brands. They are no worse either. I'm not bashing the equipment. Just the almost religious fervour that follows them around.

Bluewolf is spot on. The quality of the putters is not in doubt, but many other manufacturers make equally good gear. What is astonishing is the blind following and assumption that everything Scotty is perfection.

At the end of the day is a bit of metal on the end of a stick that you tap a ball with. Some Scotty owners seem more obsessive of their putters than their children.

If you have earned your money then feel free to spend it on anything you like but IMO people spending thousands on a putter headcover need to take a look at themselves.

Rob

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
OEM- Original Equipment Manufacturer

*edit* stevie beat me to it:smirk:

Gareth what gets me is to an extent you are right, £200-£300 for a Scotty and others have similar priced putters, however, stick a circle 'T' stamp on the £200 putter and it miraculously is worth £1500 :eek:

I think thats where it gets silly, I've had many Scotties and they look good but perform no better or worse than anyone elses IMO

Last edited:

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there is an opinion that some Scotty owners like to have them just so they can say 'I use a Scotty Cameron'. It's a premium brand that will spawn brand snobbery in some people, determined to have it just so they can show it off.

Amen!

Now I have played with many Scotty owners that are great blokes (many from this forum) but if I am honest my default position when someone pulls one from the bag is that they are a bit of a tit.

Completely unfair? Probably.... But I think Tsped nailed it above.

Rob

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have more scotty camerons than I care to admit to but I understand some of the flack people dish out.

the main reason is probably that they are consistently more expensive than any other main manufacturer's equivalent range, yet the performance that an amateur gets out of them means there really is nothing that you're getting for the extra outlay performance wise. essentially you're perceived to be buying it for the name. and hence they will also perceive you to be in the "more money than sense" / "all the gear no idea" camp which always attracts mockers.