Scottish Golf Show

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went this morning, totally underwhelmed TBH. Far busier than I had expected too.
The free round vouchers more than covered the cost of admission though and got some great deals on clothing.

It should probably be renamed the Scottish Hotels with golf courses show.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
it wasn't very good when I went years ago, can you elaborate please

The show consisted of:

1. Load of bays run by various brands flogging their clubs (nothing you wouldn't see at American Golf)
2. A medium-sized American Golf shop
3. An Affordable Golf shop (I can drive to this expensive store in 10 mins)
4. Various pay-to-hit-a-ball-to-win-something stalls
5. Loads of hotels and course stalls
6. Some of the crappiest putting innovations you'll ever see, including some god-awful putters
7. A diamond dolls stand (lassie looked like she needed a good bath)
8. An overpriced, overdressed burger van
9. PGA Teaching bays
10. Other random, uninteresting things

But as said above, glad to have went for my free rounds of golf. When I initially said "Load of crap. Avoid", maybe I was a bit harsh. I should have said "worth a nosey for an hour, as long as you pre-booked".

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
Just back as well.

it was ok, as said above lots of hotels and golf booking deals.

american golf was ok as you could haggle with them, well basically bring it down to Internet prices.

driving bays were crowded. We eventually got to the cobra one at 4pm

T

thecraw

nah
went two years ago
am still inundated with spammy emails
i did get my 3 wood cheaper tho
but on the whole - not worth the money
the 3 free rounds at soggy golf courses is just a joke IMHO

If you get The Machrie soggy I'll pay for your flights. Stupid statement.

:blah:

T

thecraw

Given the cost of getting there then no it isn't.

Well worth it. Drive to Kennacraig, hop on a boat and get picked up at the other side. Absolutely amazing golf course and worth every effort to get there and experience it. I'd travel anywhere for a decent golf course and don't understand why so many won't travel because its too far, too long etc. Set aside a day and just do it.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well worth it. Drive to Kennacraig, hop on a boat and get picked up at the other side. Absolutely amazing golf course and worth every effort to get there and experience it. I'd travel anywhere for a decent golf course and don't understand why so many won't travel because its too far, too long etc. Set aside a day and just do it.

I don't doubt the quality of the course given it has your endorsement; I baulk at the thought of it taking longer to get to a course than it takes to play it, I just hate driving these days. To me personally it's one that can wait until I'm over there for a short break. Anyway, choices were made in advance and the vouchers are sat here.

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
Good luck to all who plan to use there Vouchers. Just called a course in Ayr as I will be going thru next weekend. The starter was rude and did not understand what the free golf show voucher was all about. Ohhh well should make an interesting sunday morning next week. Just hope the snow and rain holds off.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck to all who plan to use there Vouchers. Just called a course in Ayr as I will be going thru next weekend. The starter was rude and did not understand what the free golf show voucher was all about. Ohhh well should make an interesting sunday morning next week. Just hope the snow and rain holds off.

Which course was that?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But it is this year and worth the entry fee alone.

Next.

It went bust a couple of years ago with minimum maintenance to the course...not sure of the present circumstances.
Cracking looking course though.
I was annoyed with them when I holidayed on Islay as their website said silly money for the green fees. I did not take the clubs and had a look at the course to see they were selling £50 fees.

Just checked the club website and they seem to be making changes to the course to toughen it.

Fees are interesting.
£70 for 18 holes for visitors
£275 a week for visitors
£314 for an annual subscription...is that not extracting the urine a bit.

Last edited: