Scottish Golf In Decline Again

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nope. We're still paying two lots of fees and Scottish Golf is still looking into it even although they (SGU included - same shower different name) have been saying for years that they would be changing it so that club members only pay one lot of fees!!!!!

It's a joke to be paying it more than once that's for sure, let's just hope it doesn't come back and haunt them like PPI done to the banks

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The Tiger boom is now kicking clubs in the teeth, too much choice back in the boom now too many courses, something will have to give and the strongest will survive. Not all club members will move to the strongest, quite possibly most won't but the strongest will be able to pick up the pieces.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Tiger boom is now kicking clubs in the teeth, too much choice back in the boom now too many courses, something will have to give and the strongest will survive. Not all club members will move to the strongest, quite possibly most won't but the strongest will be able to pick up the pieces.

Who knows maybe now Tiger is back we might see an increase in memberships again

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe it’s suffering with the lack of real top golfers to look up to as role models on the world stage , the facilities and price seem a lot better than the rest of the UK but maybe it just needs someone for the kids to look up to and aspire to follow. Where is the next Lawrie ?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe it’s suffering with the lack of real top golfers to look up to as role models on the world stage , the facilities and price seem a lot better than the rest of the UK but maybe it just needs someone for the kids to look up to and aspire to follow. Where is the next Lawrie ?

Is that your best attempt at fishing

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Aye that's a honking attempt at trolling, Must try harder on your report card lad.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

I think he has a point to an extent. Scottish Golf has absolutely nobody, Russell Knox has punched above his weight a wee bit and after that we have zilch. Diddly squat!

England has a wealth of young talent coming through.

Ireland has Rory and Wales has, well Wales has Gareth Bale!

Kids do generally like a role model.

D

Deleted member 15344

No it’s golf , not really into fishing

Is it not a relevant point ? In England for example there are quite a number of high profile golfers doing well - the likes of Rose and Fleetwood are being seen regularly in sports papers and BBC sport website and news etc for their exploits - they were all highlighted massively over the recent Ryder Cup

But because Scotland seemed to be lacking the really top golfers at the moment there is a possibility young kids don’t see golf being highlighted as such. Imagine if there was a current Scottish Major Champion all over the media and screens in Scotland could well the sort of thing to inspire people ?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think he has a point to an extent. Scottish Golf has absolutely nobody, Russell Knox has punched above his weight a wee bit and after that we have zilch. Diddly squat!

That's like suggesting that Monty got thousands of young lads in to golf in the late 90s early 2000s when we all know who it was, and it wasn't Monty.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Agree that folk need players in all sports to look up to but it doesn't need be a home grown talent.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Is it not a relevant point ? In England for example there are quite a number of high profile golfers doing well - the likes of Rose and Fleetwood are being seen regularly in sports papers and BBC sport website and news etc for their exploits - they were all highlighted massively over the recent Ryder Cup

But because Scotland seemed to be lacking the really top golfers at the moment there is a possibility young kids don’t see golf being highlighted as such. Imagine if there was a current Scottish Major Champion all over the media and screens in Scotland could well the sort of thing to inspire people ?

I very much doubt Tyrrell Hatton has got anyone in to golf, Fleetwood possibly.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

As I said I agree that in all sports we need people to look up to but it doesn’t need to be someone from your country.

D

Deleted member 15344

As I said I agree that in all sports we need people to look up to but it doesn’t need to be someone from your country.
It maybe doesn’t need to but it helps -

Hatton was mentioned - now at Harleyford his local club their junior members have shot through the food since he came onto the scene.

English golf appears to be on a rise and imo it helps having players like Rose in amongst the top players - it’s someone in the headlines in the news.

I think if there was a top Scottish golfer winning a major and in the Ryder Cup then they could use him as a poster boy to get others into the game - it’s not the full reason but I think it will contribute to people not playing or taking up the sport

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think having the likes of Hatton, Fleetwood and Rose will have definitely helped English youngsters engage in golf. Certainly no Woods effect but I would definitely suggest juniors have seen them as aspirational. Even the likes of Andy Sullivan getting involved on social media channels and not taking himself seriously can help. Is it a case of English clubs have simply seen the opportunity and worked harder at getting juniors in which in turn could encourage parents to join. My own club has a growing junior academy offering tuition each Saturday and golf camps in the school holidays.

I would also say outside of this, nomadic golfers and those no longer getting age related discounts will give up memberships and simply pay and play. Either way it's a worrying trend and one that needs addressing urgently. What the answers are is hard to say or there is little doubt some clubs could be in danger

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I played Cheshunt park for £11 pound last Sunday via Tee Off times. While its no world beater its more than good enough and at that price you cant go wrong.