Scotland trip planning

klai

Visit site
Hi All,

So I'll be on a solo trip to Scotland next July for the Open. Got two tickets for everyday from Wed to Sun but having hard time (rightfully so) convincing friends to fork out a small fortune to come with. Anyway, planning to book a few rounds while I'm there but realizing there are a lot more choices than I remembered around St. Andrews. Did a trip 4 years ago and included Carnoustie, Old Course, Kingsbarns, and SA Castle Course. For 2022's trip, I've booked Kingsbarns and New Berwick so far and about to book Dumbarnie. Thinking maybe to book another couple rounds in the morning before heading over to Old Course in the afternoon. Potential list includes: Panmure (but a bit far), Elie, Gleneagles (even farther), Gullane, or for convenience sake, try the New or Jubilee Course this time? Thanks in advance!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi, where are you going to be based? A couple of observations on your selection. Firstly, Panmure is closer to St Andrews than Carnoustie and if you are planning playing North Berwick or Gullane then they are both over 80 miles from St Andrews and about a two hour drive at that time of year. Also, I would think that the other Links Trust courses (New and Jubilee) will be closed for the duration of the Open. Incidentally, I'm not surprised that you are having a hard time convincing your friends as you have selected some of the most expensive golf courses in the area.

klai

Visit site
Hi Clive,

Yea, I put my name in the ballot and really didn't expect to win the right to purchase those tickets. This being the 150th Open, I've convinced myself that I won't likely be around for the 200th and might as well go all out on this golf trip...(although I did use the exact same excuse 4 years ago with the wife). Anyway, I'll be based a 5 minute walk from Old Course (and by far the biggest expense of the trip) but will stay at EDI airport hotel that first night. Figured to hit New Berwick next day before looping back around to St Andrews. Was thinking to include Carnoustie for that humbling experience again but A) tee times are pretty much full and B) like you've said, the cost is getting up there as-is. As for Links Trust courses, I got an email from them saying most tee times are still available...but you're right, curious why they're open...but could work in my favor. What's your opinion on 'em Links Trust courses? New vs Castle vs Jubilee? Thanks.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The week before and after The Open championship week itself you can play but the New and Jubilee are combined into one composite course.

During the championship week, the New, Jubilee, Eden and Strathtyrum are all closed. The only option for play is the Castle.

klai

Visit site
You're right! Just realized my original inquiry only mentioned the Castle course. I mistakenly assumed it was for all but Old. Well, in that case Castle would my only "convenient" option. That said, may I ask how is the traffic in and out of St Andrews during the Open week? Is it unrealistic for me to assume I could tee off at 6am at courses as far as Dumbarnie and get back to St Andrews to watch the noon pairings onward? Not sure what to expect regarding the traffic into town. How about the Elie course? Too bad Kingsbarns does not offer the discounted second round rate during the Open week.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I've been to the Open at St Andrews I've always used the Park and Ride but the roads have been very busy anyway.
The Old Course isn't the best venue for spectating of you don't get a seat in the stands and they can get pretty busy.
If I was planning on playing golf the same day as watching it personally I'd look at one of the very local course.
I've never played the Fairmont courses or the Dukes but they're meant to be OK.
The Castle is good but it's not a quick round.

klai

Visit site
Got it. Thanks for your input. Sounds like I better stay local from Thu to Sun. I did play the Fairmont course last time but don't remember much (first round upon landing so kinda out of it). I did read about Dukes, perhaps will revisit that idea. Castle would be the obvious backup plan (plus tee times are plentiful just non-refundable). Thank you very much everyone!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd also suggest some of the Angus courses, Monifieth, Panmur both next door to each other. Only 40 mins from St Andrews. Much easier to get to courses that side of the Tay, Kirriemuir is also nice, really short but great course

Last edited:

klai

Visit site
Hi Patrick, you got a great point. Road north in/out of town should be smoother than others. Maybe a Panmure could be a decent option as well. So far I have 3 rounds booked: New Berwick (tue), Dumbarnie (wed), and Kingsbarns (thu). plus one more round on friday should conclude this epic watch & play golf trip...or if leaderboard doesnt look all that enticing on sunday perhaps squeeze one more in. anyway, will look into Duke's (proximity with Open traffic), Castle (proximity with Open traffic), and Panmure (less traffic flow). Thanks again!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Hi Patrick, you got a great point. Road north in/out of town should be smoother than others. Maybe a Panmure could be a decent option as well. So far I have 3 rounds booked: New Berwick (tue), Dumbarnie (wed), and Kingsbarns (thu). plus one more round on friday should conclude this epic watch & play golf trip...or if leaderboard doesnt look all that enticing on sunday perhaps squeeze one more in. anyway, will look into Duke's (proximity with Open traffic), Castle (proximity with Open traffic), and Panmure (less traffic flow). Thanks again!
Scotscraig is south of Dundee over the bridge, and an Open Qualifying course, so nae a bad shout. Inland there's Ladybank which is a belter (and I think also an OQ course), so both of those pretty close to base. Also in Dundee Downfield has a great rep, and yes has been a OQ course :ROFLMAO:

klai

Visit site
My goodness, there sure are many courses I wasn't aware of (from google research)!!! Thank you very much for recommending Sctoscraig and Ladybank. Let me look into them but starting to "feel" like it might not be an issue if I just wanna get a round in on a whim when there. Thanks again!