Scotland Debate

D

Deleted member 15344

My two penny worth :D

I don't want us to be apart from Scotland or Wales

Why - not for political reasons or money reasons

But because I believe the three countries working together as one is what makes our island great. The ability for us to work together to make the Island great and a force around the world

This is highlighted more when I worked in the military and worked alongside our welsh and Scottish neighbours - working together to make us the best armed forces in the world

When it comes to the Olympics - the whole island getting behind every sportsman regardless of what country they were born

Plus there is the banter between the nations - it's unrivaled in its humour

We are a great island together all three nations and I would hate to see that split up

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site

But because I believe the three countries working together as one is what makes our island great. The ability for us to work together to make the Island great and a force around the world

This is highlighted more when I worked in the military and worked alongside our welsh and Scottish neighbours - working together to make us the best armed forces in the world

When it comes to the Olympics - the whole island getting behind every sportsman regardless of what country they were born

We are a great island together all three nations and I would hate to see that split up

Fair comment, which I agree with and I'm Scottish.

What gets me among those seeking independence is that it's an independence of convenience they want. They want independence but want to keep the currency and passport??? Personally if Scotland get independence, England should just say 'ok, F off then... Go your own way.' If that happens I'll be applying for English citizenship!

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Latest poll out today shows a narrowing of the gap between yes and no.
Yes 37 % No 44 % and don't knows 19%.

Also interesting story in today's Herald

"A FOREIGN Office department ostensibly set up to promote the Scottish Government's interests is being used against it in the independence referendum, diplomatic cables have revealed. It is understood the FCO has contacted the governments of China, Russia, the US, New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the 28 EU nations about the Scottish referendum in a global search for allies who might oppose independence.

One recent cable showed UK embassies being ordered to forward a Westminster paper critical of independence "to their host governments and other local contacts" and then feed their comments back to the Devolution Unit "ASAP".

Maybe indicates the depth Westminster are going to keep us.;)

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
i have nothing against you or anyone from SCOTLAND,my problem is that you have a parliament that can raise its own tax revenue and make your own laws that differ from the ones in ENGLAND you get more money per head from the tax revenue raised in the whole of the BRITISH ISLES but you also have MPS who make decisions for us in ENGLAND and sway the balance of power towards your interests,as for oil who paid for it,would we in ENGLAND be any worse off if we didnt have to subsidise WALES or SCOTLAND and kept all tax revenue to ourselves as opposed to any profit we get from oil,as i said on a major desicion like this a vote should be cast in the whole of the british isles not just SCOTLAND,and only then would a true democratic decision be made.

Now Mr Cup you have shanked my question into thick rough - why do the right wing English government want to keep Scotland when, as you again state ... we are beggers getting hand outs from you well off English and upsetting your right wing politics?

Makes one wonder?

I wonder if you will reply with some attention to the question?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
we in ENGLAND should also have a vote,for years the LABOUR party in SCOTLAND has kept the government in Westminster lob sided add to this the ones in WALES and it is vastly bloated,the problem is these members have a vote on my future in ENGLAND but also have a say in how their countries are run,for years both WALES and SCOTLAND got more per head of my tax revenue than i did,i would vote to brak up the united kingdom and we all should go our own ways,the tax money raised in each country would then be used in that country and not subsidising keeping an ancient language going,it would be tough for a bit but in the long term it would be better for everyone.

LOL - not even all Scots get as vote. Besides England can't kick Scotland out of the Union - much as some down here might like that.

Anyway - looks like most votes in Scotland so love being with us in the Union that'll they'll vote NO - besides - as the BT campaign say up there - with BT you get the best of both worlds so why change things?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I have to say though I hear one hell of a lot of whinging down here about Scots being in positions of influence and power in the UK. Good that we'll not be hearing so much of that down here after the No vote.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Begs the question,
Why are they so desperate to keep us?
A rUK government will be a shoe in for a UKIP/Tory majority.

And after a NO vote, and a the coming of a Tory/UKIP coalition government in Westminster in 2016 general election, there are going to be a lot of frustrated voters in Scotland knowing that they can't really complain about it,

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now Mr Cup you have shanked my question into thick rough - why do the right wing English government want to keep Scotland when, as you again state ... we are beggers getting hand outs from you well off English and upsetting your right wing politics?

Makes one wonder?

Why indeed do we down here want to keep Scotland in the Union, considering you lot up there get £1600 a head spending more than those of us in the rUK AND students don't pay fees AND you don't pay prescription charges AND there is free elderly care - and these are just the things that we know about.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
Why indeed do we down here want to keep Scotland in the Union, considering you lot up there get £1600 a head spending more than those of us in the rUK AND students don't pay fees AND you don't pay prescription charges AND there is free elderly care - and these are just the things that we know about.

Now be fair Mr Hogan ..... I asked that question so I expect you down there, who have all this big burden of us up here, to answer it, not just agree with me!

Why not just let us go - you know it is the sensible thing.

Just convince your pals in government that your case embraces all the facts and we can just walk away.

You must find YOUR government so annoying when they cannot see what you see!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now be fair Mr Hogan ..... I asked that question so I expect you down there, who have all this big burden of us up here, to answer it, not just agree with me!

Why not just let us go - you know it is the sensible thing.

Just convince your pals in government that your case embraces all the facts and we can just walk away.

You must find YOUR government so annoying when they cannot see what you see!

What I can see as a voter in England is that I'll be blowed (is that any better than I'll be bu**ered - dunno - mods will tell me if I am off path) - anyway - I'll be blowed if Scotland by staying in the Union is going to be able to have it's cake and eat it - as BT suggest Scotland will have with their 'Best of both worlds' offering - aye right.

And thing is @19thagain - we can't get rid of you lot :( So if you stick with the rest of us you are going to have to start marching to the same tune as the rest of us...

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Makes one wonder?

i would not class the government as right wing a bit right of centre thats about all,i dont know why they are wasting time debating this question in the commons but according to the tv yesterday on a ugov poll over 52% of those in ENGLAND who answered the question voted to cut SCOTLAND lose and let them fend for themselves but only after they have paid the billions off the debt the owe the government.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i would not class the government as right wing a bit right of centre thats about all,i dont know why they are wasting time debating this question in the commons but according to the tv yesterday on a ugov poll over 52% of those in ENGLAND who answered the question voted to cut SCOTLAND lose and let them fend for themselves but only after they have paid the billions off the debt the owe the government.

But we can't cut Scotland loose - they can choose to stay with us and have the best of both...so BT say - but we can't vote for them to go.

And I would note that the political 'centre' ground in Scotland is probably not coincident with that of England. So the 'bit right of centre' Tories may not look to be quite so close to the centre from a Scottish viewpoint.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But we can't cut Scotland loose - they can choose to stay with us and have the best of both...so BT say - but we can't vote for them to go.

And I would note that the political 'centre' ground in Scotland is probably not coincident with that of England. So the 'bit right of centre' Tories may not look to be quite so close to the centre from a Scottish viewpoint.
if they vote yes the LABOUR party will be decimated,so the TORY vote would give us a proper right wing government without the need for the mamby pamby LIBERALS slowing things up,i pray they vote yes but if they vote no then things will have to change.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
I have now studied BOTH your replies and I don't see an answer to my question ...

Why are the English Government hell bent on retaining Scotland within the Union?

Come on, give me a straightforward answer not just, what will happen if BT results or how unfair the Jocks currently are.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have now studied BOTH your replies and I don't see an answer to my question ...

Why are the English Government hell bent on retaining Scotland within the Union?

I don't know. BT and Cameron just says it's better for the union - as well as Scotland.

Come on, give me a straightforward answer not just, what will happen if BT results or how unfair the Jocks currently are.

BT are saying 'Scotland gets best of both worlds if Scotland votes NO' What's you question again - sorry...

I'm not sure that a 'vote NO for a 'best of both worlds' and keep things are they are' is something many folks down south are going to be completely happy with. Unless that is changes happen down south to bring England closer to Scotland in respect of tuition fees, prescriptions etc and the per head central government grant. But for as much as I can't see the Tories addressing the former (tuition fees etc) - I can see them looking to revise the central government (Westminster) grant to Holyrood - and I can;t see it getting revised upwards.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could be the other way round as England seem to be following many of the Scottish governments plans.
Smoking in public places, minimum alcohol pricing, free school dinners etc.