Scotland Debate

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Actually, in all seriousness, I've spoken to several people recently who would consider moving to Scotland if the Yes vote won. All Northerners though. Maybe we could just move the border south?

About 20% of our village are English
The buy oor hooses cheaply then completely lower the tone of the place......

....by putting burglar alarms outside their houses.
16 years I've lived here and one recorded crime [a child's cycle stolen]

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

...and probably have steering wheel locks on when parked in their own drives or outside of their own houses.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Long way to go yet, and I think you will get a few more big names, coming out and supporting the Yes vote. There has been a couple of retired councillors / trade union guys who, free from party and local politics, have come out recently and backed the yes campaign despite being from Labour backgrounds.

The following report is in today's evening times, just what I was mentioning earlier

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/...making-of-scotlandand-labour-149490n.23259193

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah but at least the gene pool is widened a little though ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite a balanced debate on QT helped by the fact that the rather obnoxious Eddie Reader was not to be seen... Or more importantly not heard...

The gents [from the audience] 'question' towards the end rather summed it all up for me...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is no doubt that many traditional Labour voters have transferred their Scottish vote to SNP. Probably because the SNP are doing a decent job of running the country and are the only credible party in Scotland at the mo.

Many folk view this as support for an independent Scotland but it is not.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we in ENGLAND should also have a vote,for years the LABOUR party in SCOTLAND has kept the government in Westminster lob sided add to this the ones in WALES and it is vastly bloated,the problem is these members have a vote on my future in ENGLAND but also have a say in how their countries are run,for years both WALES and SCOTLAND got more per head of my tax revenue than i did,i would vote to brak up the united kingdom and we all should go our own ways,the tax money raised in each country would then be used in that country and not subsidising keeping an ancient language going,it would be tough for a bit but in the long term it would be better for everyone.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
we in ENGLAND should also have a vote,for years the LABOUR party in SCOTLAND has kept the government in Westminster lob sided add to this the ones in WALES and it is vastly bloated,the problem is these members have a vote on my future in ENGLAND but also have a say in how their countries are run,for years both WALES and SCOTLAND got more per head of my tax revenue than i did,i would vote to brak up the united kingdom and we all should go our own ways,the tax money raised in each country would then be used in that country and not subsidising keeping an ancient language going,it would be tough for a bit but in the long term it would be better for everyone.

I am not sure if I should say [/Yes Please .. let us go our own way or (and this is a big puzzle for me) try and work out why England do not want us to leave?

As you state, we are a load of free wheelers up here, using up all England's hard earned cash, getting more back than ever we put in, creating a problem for your right wing politics with our left leanings ..... why oh why, does a right wing prime minister therefore want us to stay?

I know there must be an answer and it is not just our hair colouring.

Could it be our abundance of oil? Never, surely not! Could it be our abundance of water? Never! Could it be our elbow room? Maybe!

No Mr Cup, you will have to help me understand why your country does not want to rid itself of this turd causing you all the problems as you state above.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
See here's the thing that gets me about oil, was it solely Scottish money that provided for the R & D and then the task of getting it out of the ground? I'm not convinced it was you know.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not sure if I should say [/Yes Please .. let us go our own way or (and this is a big puzzle for me) try and work out why England do not want us to leave?

As you state, we are a load of free wheelers up here, using up all England's hard earned cash, getting more back than ever we put in, creating a problem for your right wing politics with our left leanings ..... why oh why, does a right wing prime minister therefore want us to stay?

I know there must be an answer and it is not just our hair colouring.

Could it be our abundance of oil? Never, surely not! Could it be our abundance of water? Never! Could it be our elbow room? Maybe!

No Mr Cup, you will have to help me understand why your country does not want to rid itself of this turd causing you all the problems as you state above.
i have nothing against you or anyone from SCOTLAND,my problem is that you have a parliament that can raise its own tax revenue and make your own laws that differ from the ones in ENGLAND you get more money per head from the tax revenue raised in the whole of the BRITISH ISLES but you also have MPS who make decisions for us in ENGLAND and sway the balance of power towards your interests,as for oil who paid for it,would we in ENGLAND be any worse off if we didnt have to subsidise WALES or SCOTLAND and kept all tax revenue to ourselves as opposed to any profit we get from oil,as i said on a major desicion like this a vote should be cast in the whole of the british isles not just SCOTLAND,and only then would a true democratic decision be made.

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site
See here's the thing that gets me about oil, was it solely Scottish money that provided for the R & D and then the task of getting it out of the ground? I'm not convinced it was you know.

Finding it. Getting it out of the ground / seabed. Pumping it ashore. Refining it. All very different projects and concepts, but I think you'll find it that it was the yanks who made it happen.