Scotland courses- walk-ability?

rocky17

Visit site
I live in the US and I have just retired. The people where I worked collected money to send me to Scotland to play some of the famous courses (I have never been there). I will have a hard time walking 18 holes and I am afraid I will not be fast enough to keep up with the pace of play. I will list the courses I am considering trying to play and would like to know how some of you would rate them as far as difficulty to walk (steep hills, un- avoidable RR tie steps and anything else that would make it hard to walk). Thanks in advance for any help.
Courses I am considering: North Berwick (west links), Muirfield (I do have a way on), The Old Course at St. Andrews, Cruden Bay, Brora, Royal Dornoch, Traigh, Loch Lomond, Prestwick, Turnberry (Ailsa), Royal Troon
In England (perhaps 2 or 3 of these): Sunningdale (old), Royal St. George, Royal Birkdale, Royal Lytham & St. Annes, Royal Liverpool or Wentworth

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably best off having this in the main lounge forum, if you don't mind me asking what is the issue hindering your walking?

Easiest walks out of that lot will be the Old Course, Royal Liverpool and North Berwick imo. Lytham is an easy walk as well .

Not so easy are Cruden Bay (one big climb) or Royal Dornoch which is kind of on two levels. Sunningdale and Wentworth are quite undulating as well but not what I would describe as a tough walk.

Be aware that Loch Lomond is very tough to access.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Good people your work mates!

The only one of those that I've played is Traigh.

There are some steepish slopes, the first for instance is a par three to a green quite a bit above you. I wouldn't call it an easy course if walking is difficult, although it's a nine holer so you could take it easy over one round which will give you time to enjoy the views, which are worth making the effort for alone.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I live in the US and I have just retired. The people where I worked collected money to send me to Scotland to play some of the famous courses (I have never been there). I will have a hard time walking 18 holes and I am afraid I will not be fast enough to keep up with the pace of play. I will list the courses I am considering trying to play and would like to know how some of you would rate them as far as difficulty to walk (steep hills, un- avoidable RR tie steps and anything else that would make it hard to walk). Thanks in advance for any help.
Courses I am considering: North Berwick (west links), Muirfield (I do have a way on), The Old Course at St. Andrews, Cruden Bay, Brora, Royal Dornoch, Traigh, Loch Lomond, Prestwick, Turnberry (Ailsa), Royal Troon
In England (perhaps 2 or 3 of these): Sunningdale (old), Royal St. George, Royal Birkdale, Royal Lytham & St. Annes, Royal Liverpool or Wentworth

of the ones ive played ;
Muirfield is pretty flat though the are a few inclines. not sure they allow buggies, played there lots and never seen one
St Andrews course are pretty easy walking and allow buggies.
Brora, the front 9 is pretty flat once past the 1st, but the back 9 is quite up and down, again allow biggies
Royal Dornoch, is flat for the first 5 holes then there a a few climes then flat until the last 3 holes then a few climes again, but buggies are allowed.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On some of those courses you could hire a caddie. That way the clubs are taken care of. It's the easiest way of getting round.

One thing to bear in mind is that on a windy day, even a flat links course is uphill. A bit like cycling in Holland...

Why not do some walking back at home before your trip. A round of golf is about 5 miles, so gradually build up your distance until you're comfortable. Might improve general health and well-being at the same time.

On place of play, there's more to it than speed over the ground. Thinking about club and shot as you approach your ball, not going full Jason day in your preshot, putting out short putts without marking etc etc

On a lighter note, have a great trip. There is no finer experience than a Scottish links on a good day

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
North Berwick is a pretty easy walk as everything is right by the shore.
Cruden Bay has some steep up and downs and one very big climb.

Some courses allow buggies if you have a medical need - documentation and advance arrangement is often required.

This may be obvious but electric trolleys for clubs are available for rent at almost all clubs now if you do not want to carry or take a caddie all the time.

If you are worried about pace of play then consider playing later in the day when some of the course may be quieter.

Have a great trip - what time of year are you considering ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Fantastic selection of courses there Rocky.

Just a heads up, I'm not sure if there are any buggies allowed on the Old course, they don't even allow trollies until later in the day. There are caddies available though. I also believe Wentworth is now members only (this is the reason it was dropped form the GM top 100 rankings)

Lytham is very easy walking and also probably my favourite course in England.

Enjoy your trip......and are there any jobs going with your old work colleagues?? :D