Scorecard Variables

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think Slab was talking about Opens. He was suggesting that a club took their members lock stock and barrel to another course to organise and play a medal purely for their own members. In that case it could not be a qualifier.
I can't see where there is any prohibition on club A organising a qualifier on course A limited to members of club B. But I'm checking it out.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think Slab was talking about Opens. He was suggesting that a club took their members lock stock and barrel to another course to organise and play a medal purely for their own members. In that case it could not be a qualifier.

We play our " Festival Cup " away as a stableford competition and it's a qualifier, at Sheringham and Royal Cromer this year.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We play our " Festival Cup " away as a stableford competition and it's a qualifier, at Sheringham and Royal Cromer this year.
Just out of interest, do you run it on your club's software with the S&RC course recorded in your system or run it on their system with your members as away players or ?

It's really no different to the County running an open I suppose.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't see where there is any prohibition on club A organising a qualifier on course A limited to members of club B. But I'm checking it out.

The advice I received from EG was that club B could not run a qualifier at club A. It would be unusual - but not impossible - for club A to ensure that everything was in order - full measured course etc. - for a qualifier to be played and to process the scores using club A's handicapping software.

The response from EG was to the question if a club's Away Day could be used as a qualifier.

I would be interested to know if Upsidedown's away qualifier met those criteria.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would be unusual - but not impossible - for club A to ensure that everything was in order - full measured course etc. - for a qualifier to be played and to process the scores using club A's handicapping software.
That is the answer I am expecting but I question it being unusual. I hadn't really thought about it before because my club's away days are 4BBB (or some variation of). But I do know of clubs who run a stableford (or medal) in the am or pm and a team event in the pm or am. It hadn't registered that the singles may be qualifiers.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, do you run it on your club's software with the S&RC course recorded in your system or run it on their system with your members as away players or ?

It's really no different to the County running an open I suppose.

Fairly certain it's on our software.

The advice I received from EG was that club B could not run a qualifier at club A. It would be unusual - but not impossible - for club A to ensure that everything was in order - full measured course etc. - for a qualifier to be played and to process the scores using club A's handicapping software.

The response from EG was to the question if a club's Away Day could be used as a qualifier.

I would be interested to know if Upsidedown's away qualifier met those criteria.

As far as I know they have been doing it for years and the main guy who runs it is an England referee

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Which is the same answer I got from Scottish Golf when I asked if our Seniors' outing to another course at which we play stableford under competition conditions should be a qualifier.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Confirmation. It is permissible - "Just like running an open competition"

Which is the same answer I got from Scottish Golf when I asked if our Seniors' outing to another course at which we play stableford under competition conditions should be a qualifier.

This the exact reply I got from EG:

The club do not have the authority to run qualifying competitions at another venue. The ‘Away Day’ can only be qualifying if the event was administered by the host golf club and run through their own handicapping system software.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's another off topic idea....

If half a dozen local courses got together would you be happy to rotate your monthly medal around the different venues?
(and what do you think would happen to your handicap)

So you are ok to go.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand your first sentence. The post is about medal play. There is no reason for them not to be qualifiers.

Why would there be more than one player on a card?

Sorry for delay in responding.

I posted the exact part of the post in was responding to, which wasn't regarding clubs holding Q events at other venues.

I read an inference to recent changes and took this to be the published guidelines on the consideration of non qualifying performances in Open competitions.