Save my golf career!

Mikelee1983

Visit site
Ok, so the title is a little dramatic for a couple of reasons, 1 being I'm no where near good enough to call it a career, and 2 I enjoy the game too much to give up, regardless of how bad I am!

right, my problems, I've been playing for about 5 years now on and off, current handicap 14, shooting low 80's on a good day and high 80's/low 90's the rest of the time. In a nutshell, off the tee I seem to be fairly consistent, when my tee shots are poor I seem to be able to sort it out within a couple more shots. So definite room for improvement, but not my main problem, putting off and on but again not my biggest worry at the min.... My real problem, and always has been is iron play! Very inconsistent! No consistency between the bad shots, thins, fats, slices, hooks, mixed in with a few clean shots!

Firstly, I don't for one minute think that it's the equipment and not my swing! I've seen my swing on video and know its poor..

What I want to know, is the such a place that give you lessons on your swing and fitting at the same time? I don't mean the American golf fitting experience either... (Sorry, had a bad experience with a sales man pushing very expensive clubs at me after deciding I just need standard length loft lie, don't get me wrong, this might be correct, but making this decision when I was a 24 handicapper with a really inconsistent swing after about 5 shots was poor)...anyway, that's another story....

I don't want to go to a fitting session with a bad swing as I may be fitted to get the best out of this poor swing, which will more than likely be changed at a lesson, conversely, I don't want to go to a lesson first with potentially ill fitting equipment, as I may be coached into a swing using equipment that doesn't suit me? I know this sounds a little daft, but at the moment I have a very poor posture leaning forward, and when I correct this to a posture that looks and feels a lot more balanced, the club Is miles off being correct at address. Catch 22

Does such a place exist that offers both services, Preferably in the north west.... Has anybody been in a similar situation?

Sorry for babbling, failing all this. I'll just go with the inevitable conclusion, I'm must no good at golf :)

a very confused golfer....Mike

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know

For what it's woth, with extremely limited info, I'm guessing your backswing is twice as long as it should be.
Many golfers who describe inconsistency have backswings that are too long

Hope you make some progress and enjoy your golf some more :)

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
couple things to maybes think over, if you stay doing nothing as you're concerned with your 'kurt v' issue, then all things pretty much stay the same, so you'll have the issues/outcomes with your game, so the same discontentment.

the solution is get a series of lessons with a good local PGA pro. grip, posture, alignments, ball position all the 'statics' are key to giving you the best chance of having a reasonable swing.
wouldn't really matter if all your 'statics' are out of whack what type of clubs are in the hands. if you're somewhere around average height etc. if the clubs you own already are pretty average in lie. length ect. this won't stop a PGA pro starting to fix your issues whatever they may be.
you can also get equipment advice during your lesson series anyways, they at a later date when the 'statics' & swing are in better shape look to see what kind of clubs you like in the type that have been recommended. nowadays all manufacturers make a good standard of club, you'll find something to suit your likes & pocketbook pretty easily.

in the meantime if you want to get some pointers on a neutral grip, reasonable posture, aim etc. checkout posts #10,#11 & #13 on this current thread.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...th-my-swing-please-slow-motion-video-included!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello Mike, and welcome to the forum.

first things first, I have no answers to your problem.

However, im in a very similar boat to you. Really struggling even trying to keep hold off a mid twenties handicap. Knowing it's the swing but hoping new high spec, well fitted clubs would help (I'm guessing not :()

id suggest maybe 3 or 4 lessons over the winter months to try and gain some consistency. Then maybe pull the trigger on getting fitted.

my eyes are well and truly open on this thread, need as much help as yourself.

Best of luck mate