Sandiway / Beau Desert

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Hi,

After making a wrong choice of a golf club a while ago in Essex and it costing me a lot of money, I vowed never to pay a joining fee again. I think I have convinced myself to take the step up and spoken to both clubs about fees/subs/operations of the club and 'happy' with the answers. Before deciding I thought I would ask on here for people experiences of either club when they have played there.

The joining fee and subs whilst I wont post on the forum, are fairly large, so really do not want to make the same mistake as before.:(

I am interested in hearing any bad or good experiences with the:-

a) club
b) pro shop
c) members
d) course conditions
e) how much they close the course during winter
f) Any tee times are not available to members.
g) Whether they have masses of golf societies on at the weekend or during the week

We are approximately in the middle of both courses, so distance is about the same. Ideally looking for an easy going, friendly club and one were there is not loads of tees times blocked out at the weekend or loads of single sex comps and a club that you don't feel awkward in and that 'other members or even the staff' look at you strangely or speak down to you(yeah have visited clubs like that):p.

If anyone is a member or knows someone who is member of either club I really would welcome a chat, please.:thup: (as I know none)

If you would not rather post on a public forum with negative comments, please PM me, as I would rather not make another cock up.:rofl::eek::(:smirk:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi,

After making a wrong choice of a golf club a while ago in Essex and it costing me a lot of money, I vowed never to pay a joining fee again. I think I have convinced myself to take the step up and spoken to both clubs about fees/subs/operations of the club and 'happy' with the answers. Before deciding I thought I would ask on here for people experiences of either club when they have played there.

The joining fee and subs whilst I wont post on the forum, are fairly larg<script id="gpt-impl-0.4035771875749958" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_172.js?v=174"></script>e, so really do not want to make the same mistake as before.:(

I am interested in hearing any bad or good experiences with the:-

a) club
b) pro shop
c) members
d) course conditions
e) how much they close the course during winter
f) Any tee times are not available to members.
g) Whether they have masses of golf societies on at the weekend or during the week

We are approximately in the middle of both courses, so distance is about the same. Ideally looking for an easy going, friendly club and one were there is not loads of tees times blocked out at the weekend or loads of single sex comps and a club that you don't feel awkward in and that 'other members or even the staff' look at you strangely or speak down to you(yeah have visited clubs like that):p.

If anyone is a member or knows someone who is member of either club I really would welcome a chat, please.:thup: (as I know none)

If you would not rather post on a public forum with negative comments, please PM me, as I would rather not make another cock up.:rofl::eek::(:smirk:

Two wonderful courses Darren. I've played both a few times and membership at Sandiway has always teased me a little as I'm only 25 minutes away myself.

This is just my experience of both courses and my opinion......Both courses are a wonderful test of heathland golf and I'd happily be a member of either. BD probably edges it hole for hole course wise, just because its fractionally more spread out and Sandiway does have a couple of weaker holes in 14 and 15. Both courses are run for their members so visitors and societies are welcome, but times are restricted so you have no issues on that front. I'd also say both probably close as often as each other, practise facilities at both clubs is excellent and course conditions are always top notch.

So, down to the nitty gritty.....which would I join if I were in your shoes ? It would be Sandiway for a couple of reasons you elude to above. The welcome from the members, in the pro shop and club house was much more friendly (small thing I know). Overall, Sandiways clubhouse is much more modern and inviting. BD, just seemed to be a little stuffy and still a bit old school. Plus their greens are harder and would rip me a new one lol......I guess I've just always felt more relaxed at Sandiway.

Now, I do have an acquaintance at Sandiway, I wouldn't say a friend as I don't know him that well. He used to play at our club and moved there. One thing he said when I saw him last was that you have to be on the money to get on the competitions as they fill very quickly. This might be the case at both clubs as i'm sure they have fairly full memberships. I'm not sure about the mixed situation though. I'm sure if you reach out to them they will explain things fairly clearly.

I'd be interested to see which way you jump. Keep us posted :)

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i play beau desert as much as my own course.

good things
the course is stunning as so are the views
good practice facilities
good food and reasonable priced drink.
lots of comps and away events.

downside.
they use mats and sometimes have temp greens in winter.
as it high up on the chase the course is closed alot during winter with snow and ice.
in the summer the course plays extremely hard and you simply have no control over your golf ball. rock hards greens and fairways are common in the summer. rob rock said the course is very unfair in the summer. almost a hit and hope.

ive never once seen a society there

the members are ok. the old boys play extremely fast and slow play is frowned upon

pro shot is quite pricey

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sandiway for me always felt welcome there from all the staff.
Had a chat with the pro and he was very helpful .
clubhouse is better than BD.
I much prefer Sandiway as a course it’s a test of your golf.
I think it’s a personal thing and only you can answer .
Just go for a coffee a few mornings and chat to some of the members at both clubs you will soon get a feeling of where you want to go.
Have a lesson with both pros to see who you prefer.
Some times when you visit clubs you don’t really look at the place , just spend an hour in each looking around properly I think it will answer your question
good luck.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I do enjoy Sandiway and think it's a really good test of golf. I know a couple of people who have e been members over the years and they have nothing but good things to say about it.

If I was living in Shrewsbury I would go for Llangollen,but that's just personal preference as it's one of my favourites.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Sandiway as the guest of a member and was made to feel very welcome. Super course and great facilities.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I took my society to BD in May about 5 years ago and i loved the course. It was one of the hottest periods we've had in a long time.

We were treated very well there, i remember the GM annoying me slightly as he wouldn't concede that the greens were in desperate need of some water. they were like absolute concrete (people couldn't stop the ball on the 3rd with a SW).

wouldnt stop me going back in a flash though

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't speak for Sandiway but Beau is absolutely top class

Yes it's very tough in the summer and yes it does close a bit in the winter as being high up it struggles with the snow

However apart from in extreme winter conditions it is in impeccable condition all year round

Simply put there is nowhere in the West Midlands that comes even close (as nice as Enville and a couple others are)

There is the occasional society however it is very much a members club and they try to not to have too many visitors / societies outside of the opens

If you can afford it go for it

I'll post a more detailed response to each of your points when time allows or DM me &#128077;&#128077;

gazzadi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Both excellent but bd gets the nod off me. Dont go over the back of the greens at beau or youll score poorly, and allow much more break than you see on the greens, possibly my favorite inland course of which you will never get bored.Beau is the course if you are a low handicapper, Sandiway is a little more forgiving for higher handicaps.Both clubhouses and facilities are excellent as they are welcolming.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got a voucher to play BD this year, was going to save it till the summer but from the comments is it better to play it late April/early May when the greens may not be quite so hard? Or is that part of the fun/challenge?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a voucher to play BD this year, was going to save it till the summer but from the comments is it better to play it late April/early May when the greens may not be quite so hard? Or is that part of the fun/challenge?

its not fun or challenging when its dry. I'd play it mid summer after a period of heavy rain.

D

Deleted member 21258

Two wonderful courses Darren. I've played both a few times and membership at Sandiway has always teased me a little as I'm only 25 minutes away myself.

This is just my experience of both courses and my opinion......Both courses are a wonderful test of heathland golf and I'd happily be a member of either. BD probably edges it hole for hole course wise, just because its fractionally more spread out and Sandiway does have a couple of weaker holes in 14 and 15. Both courses are run for their members so visitors and societies are welcome, but times are restricted so you have no issues on that front. I'd also say both probably close as often as each other, practise facilities at both clubs is excellent and course conditions are always top notch.

So, down to the nitty gritty.....which would I join if I were in your shoes ? It would be Sandiway for a couple of reasons you elude to above. The welcome from the members, in the pro shop and club house was much more friendly (small thing I know). Overall, Sandiways clubhouse is much more modern and inviting. BD, just seemed to be a little stuffy and still a bit old school. Plus their greens are harder and would rip me a new one lol......I guess I've just always felt more relaxed at Sandiway.

Now, I do have an acquaintance at Sandiway, I wouldn't say a friend as I don't know him that well. He used to play at our club and moved there. One thing he said when I saw him last was that you have to be on the money to get on the competitions as they fill very quickly. This might be the case at both clubs as i'm sure they have fairly full memberships. I'm not sure about the mixed situation though. I'm sure if you reach out to them they will explain things fairly clearly.

I'd be interested to see which way you jump. Keep us posted :)

Thanks for the reply

Oh you have just summarised how I felt about BD and Sandiway when we played there, from the welcome to course to clubhouse.

Thought we may have been lucky with the 'welcome' with Sandiway when we played there on holiday, as we receive a much different welcome from another course just down the road from Sandiway, good to hear that the welcome at Sandiway is always good.

Head says Beau, heart says Sandiway and both clubs have been very kind in answering my questions.

I loved Beau due to the turning greens and how the holes are spread apart and to drive to will be slightly quicker. Going to drive to Sandiway this weekend to check out travel around the vicars cross area (wife preferred Beau course as easier walking). However Sandiway, due to the welcome and I just the 'special feeling' of playing there was just special, probably don't like the smaller greens.

D

Deleted member 21258

i play beau desert as much as my owncourse.

downside.
they use mats and sometimes have temp greens in winter.
as it high up on the chase the course is closed alot during winter with snowand ice.
in the summer the course plays extremely hard and you simply have no controlover your golf ball. rock hards greens and fairways are common in the summer.rob rock said the course is very unfair in the summer. almost a hit and hope.

Your lucky to play there it is just a great setting.

Interesting to hear and comments about the year playability. We played there atthe end of August and found it quite playable but IIRC I think August was quitea wet month.

I had seen the mats thing on the internet and was quite surprised by this butthanks for confirming it happens, I have been looking at the twitter accountfor course updates, as I will play the course a lot from October to March, sothe course being open is very important.

Sandiway for me always feltwelcome there from all the staff.
Had a chat with the pro and he was very helpful .
clubhouse is better than BD.
I much prefer Sandiway as a course it’s a test of your golf..

Thanks for confirming the welcome. I will revisit one ofthe clubs once I have decided, as they both have formal procedures forapplication. So will try to spend some time there
Can't speak for Sandiway butBeau is absolutely top class

Yes it's very tough in the summer and yes it does close a bit in the winter asbeing high up it struggles with the snow

However apart from in extreme winter conditions it is in impeccable conditionall year round

Simply put there is nowhere in the West Midlands that comes even close (as niceas Enville and a couple others are)

There is the occasional society however it is very much a members club and theytry to not to have too many visitors / societies outside of the opens

If you can afford it go for it

I'll post a more detailed response to each of your points when time allows orDM me 
Thanks shorthgame, any more details would be great,greatly appreciated for your comments.
Nashy really looking at a sand based course for themonths from October to March. Hoping to play Llangollen this year on Conwysreciprocal, as it look as lovely course.
Thanks again for all replies, as any insight into theclub/course will help before I move forward at the end of next week.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Darren, I have played BD quite a few times as a members guest.

Societies are permitted but it is very much a members club, designated tee times morning and afternoon solely for members. I've always found the Pro very helpful and welcoming

Yes mats are used through wetter conditions, but they are of a good standard.

I'll be over for a knock once you have signed on the dotted line

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played both once a like them a lot. I got the impression that Sandiway may be a slightly better option as a member as it had a nice clubhouse and buzz. My ex-boss is a member of Sandiway and he likes it a lot

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve had Sandiway on a reciprocal for a number of years and now it’s been dropped, feel quite disappointed I never made the effort to play it whilst I got it cheap

D

Deleted member 17920

I’ve had Sandiway on a reciprocal for a number of years and now it’s been dropped, feel quite disappointed I never made the effort to play it whilst I got it cheap
You have defo missed out there.

The opens are still good value however.

I have played Sandiway once and BD 5 times and both are excellent golf courses.

Sandiway just edges it for me though.