Ryder Cup foursomes

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I see that Paul Azinger has switched the order of foursomes and four-ball play in this year's Ryder Cup.
My question is : Why not just scrap the foursomes altogether? They are the dullest golf format that exists and is only played in the UK.
Scrapping the foursomes might also help to create some interest in the Cup on the other side of the Ocean.
Personally, I think the Ryder Cup will disappear from the golf calendar.

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
if europe keep winning it ,then yes the american viewers will bodyswerve it -but i think europe will have a very young side this time a round and may struggle !!hopefully not but i think were in a transition period

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't see the Ryder Cup being dropped, unless it again becomes dominated by one side for an extended period.

There is one good reason for maintaining foursomes (though some risk in stating it) - Tiger doesn't like them.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're joking, aren't you Shanker?

Last 6 Ryder Cups; our record in foursomes 16:8

It'll disappear from the golfing calender in the same way that the Olympics will disappear from the athletics calender or the World Cup will disappear from the football calender.

Dullest format? You ever played foursomes? Clearly not

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
.......Personally, I think the Ryder Cup will disappear from the golf calendar.

That would only happen in America. If they aint winning, they aint interested (sorry for the 'americanisms') but I am sure us/we will still be gagging to see the Europeans bitch slap the yanks again.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i hope that the ryder cup doesn't go down the road of people loosing interest and being a non event because it is one of the tournaments that comes round that i really enjoy

DCB

Visit site
It's only because the Americans don't like losing that things are as they are now. Thirty years ago and more, the ryder cup was great because they were winning.

It's a bit like the Americas Cup in sailing, they held it for donkeys years and then some southern henmisphere upstart beat them, the trophy was/ is a permanent fixture at the New York Yacht Club, the poor guy who lost the series Dennis Connor was vilified in the US for getting beaten.

Anyway, here's hoping the Ryder Cup is played in the spirit in which it is meant and that the beat team wins on the day....

Sorry, lets get into them and turn them over once again!

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's only because the Americans don't like losing that things are as they are now. Thirty years ago and more, the ryder cup was great because they were winning.

It's a bit like the Americas Cup in sailing, they held it for donkeys years and then some southern henmisphere upstart beat them, the trophy was/ is a permanent fixture at the New York Yacht Club, the poor guy who lost the series Dennis Connor was vilified in the US for getting beaten.

Anyway, here's hoping the Ryder Cup is played in the spirit in which it is meant and that the beat team wins on the day....

Sorry, lets get into them and turn them over once again!
Wrong DCB! The Americans were getting fed up with the Ryder Cup because it was too easy against Britain and Ireland. It was Nicklaus who suggested including the Europeans to make it a contest.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You're joking, aren't you Shanker?

Last 6 Ryder Cups; our record in foursomes 16:8

It'll disappear from the golfing calender in the same way that the Olympics will disappear from the athletics calender or the World Cup will disappear from the football calender.

Dullest format? You ever played foursomes? Clearly not
JF
Firstly, I have played foursomes. In the annual knock-out, inter-club matches and even in the county foursomes championships. I don't like it. Once I hit the ball I want to go and hit it again. Be honest. How often do you and your mates decide to play a ''foursome'' instead of ''four-ball better ball''?
Secondly, you yourself make the comparison between the Olympics, the World Cup and the Ryder Cup. The Olympics and the World Cup are truly important sporting events in which the whole world can take part. Minnows like Trinidad get to compete against giants like England. ;)In the Olympics tiny nations with one or two participants march behind their flag in the opening ceremony. The Ryder Cup is the opposite. Great golfers like Els, Singh, Scott etc are excluded.
Finally, as far their foursomes record is concerned. I doubt they worry too much. Between Paul Lawrie and Padraig Harrington, how much USA success was there in the majors?
I don't mind being in a minority of one but the Americans don't care about the Ryder Cup.
Regards
Shanker

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shanker,

First of all, apologies if my reply seemed quite forceful. I didn't mean it like that. It reads quite rudely looking back so, please, no offence.

But I do think foursomes is a great format especially in Ryder Cup. It's the ultimate team format after all. You really do have to rely on your team mate.

Whenever I play it's the most nerve wracking format out there and whilst the scoring is never the best it's certainly the most exciting from a matchplay perspective.

And personally, I think the Ryder Cup is the 3rd best sporting event after the 2 I mentioned. Who cares if Els, Singh etc aren't playing? It's about the team not the individuals.

DCB

Visit site
"And personally, I think the Ryder Cup is the 3rd best sporting event after the 2 I mentioned."

Well J_F, I don't work my diary out around the other two events, but, the Ryder Cup gets marked up well in advance.
Depending on whether it's in Europe or the US, the Friday becomes a "working from home" day.

It's a weekend for being a couch potato I'm afraid. A lot of that has to do with the coverage that Sky give the event. It's just a pity it's not one of the events that has to be on normal tv.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to agree, DCB. It's the one event where it's 3 days off sitting in the pub watching every shot for me. I even lent my local a huge European flag to put up for 3 days last time. Couldn't do that with the Olympics or the footy.... unless Scotland reach the final, of course :D

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just about as likely as Wales beating England at Twickers :( :( :(

To be fair (and I really don't wish to re-live the horror) but I think if anyone beat England today, it was England.

I still firmly believe that the teams swapped shirts at half-time. It's still the only explanation I've got!