Ryder Cup Format.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wouldn't it be nice if the Ryder Cup was played as an agregate Stableford? That way, every individual player would contribute to the score and all matches would finish on the 18th. There would be no presure for 'gimme' putts. Also each player would play against the course, as they are all used to in stoke play. The Foursomes, Fourballs and Singles could still be played, but someone with a stunning score on the last day could turn the whole thing around, and a bad score equally so. It could make for an exiting finish with perhaps everthing hinging on the last match. There would no meaningless matches on the last day.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The suspense is what makes the Ryder Cup so exciting, plus I quite like the gambling on who will be the last person to make the putt for the Cup or who to to put out first and last.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ryder Cup to become a Stableford - I think you've lost it Dave3498.

Matchplay is a totally different format asking a different set of questions about your mental strength.

Shame on you Dave

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure I like the idea Dave - turning the Ryder Cup into Stableford would be like having 'rush goalie' at the FA Cup final. It's all about the tension of match play as far as I'm concerned and it's only in recent years that the event has been over so soon. Just wait until the Americans find their feet again - I can see future Cups going down to the wire.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Good heavens Dave, wanting to change the format of the legendary “Ryder Cup”; How do you sleep at night? (Horlicks, can give anyone a good night sleep).

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Credit where its due Dave- ive never heard that suggestion before!! Can’t say I like the sound of it- it think the Ryder Cup works so well because of the match play format- pitting man against man with the weight of Europe or America on their shoulders- i dont think it needs to be messed with!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Now hold on everybody, Dave3498 i think you are getting a bit of an unfair bashing here. You know Stableford could work in the Ryder Cup - i like the idea of someone shooting a seriously low score and changing things dramatically, imagine Sergio Garcia's putter getting hot and he comes in with 50-odd stableford points..epic!
Admittedly it is a bit radical but lets give it time to breathe...

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I did say 'agregate' Stableford. That means that the points from each round are carried forward to the final singles. Imagine the exitement when all the singles are to be played to the final hole.

I have never liked the idea of someone qualifying for the Ryder Cup and losing in every round. At least with the agregate Stableford format, every player can contribute something. Don't forget that a player losing in match play, can have a better score that the guy who beats him. An eagle only wins one hole against a double bogey.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave, Dave, Dave,

The Ryder Cup is perfect in every way. Straight from the first tee to the final putt, it has us on the edge of our seats. I am sure the next match will be a little more competative as I believe it is cyclical. I just hope that the European lads don't adopt the superiority complex that the W... Yanks do. I also think Tiger can't handle the 'TEAM' format because his errors affects the whole team but on tour his actions solely effect him.