Rusty clubs

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see a lot of rusty clubs on eBay and less so on Gumtree. And usually they are similarly priced or sometimes more expensive than their less ferrously challenged equivalents.

I don’t get it. They are generally unsightly and would only look good in a crime scene. Am Just being a golf club snob?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I see a lot of rusty clubs on eBay and less so on Gumtree. And usually they are similarly priced or sometimes more expensive than their less ferrously challenged equivalents.

I don’t get it. They are generally unsightly and would only look good in a crime scene. Am Just being a golf club snob?

I assume you're talking about wedges as these are the normal models with this finish. There was a school of thought that the rusty face added more spin but I never got that and pretty sure it got shown in tests to make no difference although I may be wrong on that and happy to be proven wrong.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good point, didn’t think of that. Though the rust might ruin the milled surfaces on modern wedges maybe?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rusty / raw / dull finishes are popular on tour as they do not have the same glare off them as chrome etc.

Useful on the PGA tour. Not so much in Scotland and Ireland. :rofl:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS per Homer

This is a normal finish on some wedges. Bought as Raw - designed to rust which promotes more spin.

004.jpg

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have well used forged irons that have very rusty faces and it would take something special to replace them!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
AS per Homer

This is a normal finish on some wedges. Bought as Raw - designed to rust which promotes more spin.

View attachment 24012

No, it is just anti glare. Rust doesn't generate more spin. It also does not make the club feel softer. Some players just like the look.

Bob Vokey said pretty much this a few years ago, and I believe he may know a bit about wedge design. Well, more than me anyway.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with the Murph on this one... my spinniest wedge is a rusty 60* but I'm sure that's more to do with the square grooves than the rusty (oilcan) finish

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, it is just anti glare. Rust doesn't generate more spin. It also does not make the club feel softer. Some players just like the look.

Bob Vokey said pretty much this a few years ago, and I believe he may know a bit about wedge design. Well, more than me anyway.

I have never used one but just has this one kicking around the place. What is interesting about this club is that it only the face that is really rusty. Ps anyone want it for just £10 plus P&P (MD Golf) hardly used.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 3 cleveland wedges brought at the same time from ebay 2 (that were supposed to be the same) of which are metal

I clean them with scotchbright to remove the rust as dont like that look

Gives a good patina

Rust on the face would not make a lot of difference to my game