Running 2 bags - Anyone do this?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Tend to use my old I25 irons, old G25 driver and hybrid for range sessions (nervous of losing the weights out of the I Series irons having had that with the I25's after prolonged bashing on range mats) and have an old 52 and 58 degree wedge and host of putters so in effect apart from a couple of fairway woods I'd be good to go. Got a spare carry bag so in theory I could keep my normal set in the locker and have a spare set if needed. Only issue is 9/10 I'd be at the club playing or practising no not a viable option and would rather use the I series

Fear not Homer old bean.

Ping guarantee their products for life and will replace any weight ports that work their way loose and fall out.

Simple and fast repair from Ping.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Likewise my clubs live between the boot of the car or a cupboard in the house, 95% they're in the car.

I don't think I could/would ever justify having a spare set unless I had a holiday home and permanently left a set their. However, like someone mentioned earlier, I'd also have to have an exact match to my "normal" bag.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was well on the way to a spare set, more or less "unintentionally" and really just need driver and wedges. Then the first set went up in flames so I'm back down to just having the one but it certainly came in handy :ROFLMAO:

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do run two bags. one set is at the locker of the golfclub and one's for the road. whenever i acquire a new club the replaced club moves to the 2nd bag and sometimes, especially with putters, there's also a way back.
in spring our second course will open. as the 2 courses are roughly 3 miles apart, i will either store my second bag there or keep it in the car

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I did this, my second set would have to be identical to my first set and even then I would be thinking one 7 iron is better than the other.

I have at least one second set of clubs made up of clubs I have replaced. Would I use them? No chance.
They are different to my current, improved set. I changed for a reason and I would never believe I would achieve the same result with the older clubs. If I used them in a round I would be thinking I would have done better with my current set. If I used them for practice I wouldn’t trust the results. Surely my newer clubs would work better?
Is this completely wrong and a bit barking? Absolutely.
Seeing as I will never use them, would I sell the clubs I have replaced? No chance. I might need them one day.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I did this, my second set would have to be identical to my first set and even then I would be thinking one 7 iron is better than the other.

I have at least one second set of clubs made up of clubs I have replaced. Would I use them? No chance.
They are different to my current, improved set. I changed for a reason and I would never believe I would achieve the same result with the older clubs. If I used them in a round I would be thinking I would have done better with my current set. If I used them for practice I wouldn’t trust the results. Surely my newer clubs would work better?
Is this completely wrong and a bit barking? Absolutely.
Seeing as I will never use them, would I sell the clubs I have replaced? No chance. I might need them one day.

Same for me. I have a few woods/hybrids and couple of sets of irons & putters in a decent Oakley bag but like you I upgraded/replaced for a reason so other than maybe some range time with old clubs (& that hasn't happened so far) I'm not going to hit them again
(jeez I can hit my Cobra Flyz irons off the toe and it'll still go straight, I know the spares cant do that!)

However I will sell my spares, there's no way I'm going to pay baggage excess to lug them back to the UK so someone will get a bargain one day

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Cleveland Classic 3 Wood purchased on E-Bay this morning for £10.50 + £10 P&P.

This is the exact same spec as the one in my main bag.

Waiting on a Driver to arrive and I will be pretty much a 20 degree hybrid short of 2 gameable set ups.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm pretty much like you. I keep my main set in the locker at the club which gets used most times I play there and use my trolley.
I have a second carry bag which I use for winter carrying and also take with me when we go in the caravan on holiday. That has a set of Maxfli Revolution Midsize irons in which I hankered after from when they were new and I picked up for £30 (not old enough for Crow though ;)). It has a mishmash of other clubs which have been demoted from my main bag.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Cleveland Classic 3 Wood purchased on E-Bay this morning for £10.50 + £10 P&P.

This is the exact same spec as the one in my main bag.

Waiting on a Driver to arrive and I will be pretty much a 20 degree hybrid short of 2 gameable set ups.
I remember you having that when I played at the club with you. I thought I was the only one who had a hankering for this. It's a great wood and still sits in my main bag. I'm looking for a decent value 5 wood equivalent but they're pretty rare at the moment. I have the Cleveland Classic hybrid as well which is probably the first hybrid I've ever really got on with.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Like a few here I too have a set that lives in locker at club just in case ,few pencil bags and full kit at home in cave,clubs everywhere! Have wife's set and 2 sons who both have a set, should really start an eBay store...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember you having that when I played at the club with you. I thought I was the only one who had a hankering for this. It's a great wood and still sits in my main bag. I'm looking for a decent value 5 wood equivalent but they're pretty rare at the moment. I have the Cleveland Classic hybrid as well which is probably the first hybrid I've ever really got on with.

Yeh - I've been considering looking to upgrade some clubs but I have so much confidence with this club that I thought it would be difficult to find anything much better. Would rather spend the money on the convenience of having 2 bags.

When I started I bought a Ping G15 on Ebay. I actually didn't get on well with it. I had a Cleveland Classic Driver at the time, so bought the 3 wood on ebay for £60 or £70 and sold the Ping for £100 or so .

The Ping clubs tend to have a very short face (from the sole to the crown) - probably intended to help shots from the deck. But I really use my 3 wood exclusively as a safer option off the tee.

I have 2 Cleveland Hybrids... one is a 3 Mashie and the other a 4 Classic. They are both good in their own ways, but the Mashie doesn't launch that well - more a low linksy ball flight. Probably one club in between the two would be fine and sort that end of my bag out.

Golf Bidder have a regular flex Cleveland Classic 5 wood for £49.
https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/893899/Cleveland_Classic_XL.html

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I know what you mean, the Cleveland is pretty compact but still seems big enough for the job. I use mine off the fairway as well but I've used 3 woods off fairways from the old Persimmon days so anything is easier ;)
I've just found a Cleveland 5 on ebay and put in a best offer and so see if they'll accept it. No cover but I might get one of the nice East Ren bobble headcover from Stewarts shop.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got 2 full sets but only use my main set and keep them in the car even though I have a locker at one of my clubs.

I'm a member at 2 clubs and a practice at a third, so never quite sure where I'll be, and can't be arsed to run from club to club to pickup my gear.

If I need the boot space then I'll take them out.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like I’m gonna have 2 bags soon

My Nan and grandad want rid of their clubs as they can’t play anymore (grandad can’t that is bless him) so I said I’ll keep them for people who wnna try the game

Visit site
I do run two bags. one set is at the locker of the golfclub and one's for the road. whenever i acquire a new club the replaced club moves to the 2nd bag and sometimes, especially with putters, there's also a way back.
in spring our second course will open. as the 2 courses are roughly 3 miles apart, i will either store my second bag there or keep it in the car
Surely you need a 3rd bag :cool:

sunshine

Visit site
I couldn't do this.

It's not about the clubs or balls but all the other bits and pieces in the bag: waterproofs, sunglasses, swipe card for the bar, range card etc.

I'd always worry I'd forgotten something.