Ruling for signing card with incorrect handicap allowance

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in a Dubai Stableford competition yesterday - groups of 4, you take the 2 best scores on each hole for holes 1-6, 3 best scores on 7-12 and all scores on 13-18. As its winter we were playing off 3/4 handicaps, playing from yellows and also 2 holes were closed due to being waterlogged. Last year the winning score was 110 playing 18 holes so we thought a score of low 90's should win.. We came away with 90, leading in the clubhouse with a few cards still to come in..

A group came in and posted a score of 103, bloody hell we thought they'd played well.. Then we tried to work out how they'd got so high. We checked the scorecard and they'd been playing from full handicaps..

I just wondered what the ruling would be as they have signed for a card with incorrect handicaps, obviously the gross scores were correct, they were just taking additional points.. Now would they have to have the score adjusted or would it be a disqualification? The final scores haven't been posted yet, and a 91 and 93 were posted before we left... But as there's prize money at stake.... Thought I'd ask.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
They would only be signing to the scores not the maths required to convert into the stableford scoring. So I would think they would be ok .... One the comp organisers will have to work out the correct points.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
there was a similar thread to this before and I believe the appropriate forum members quoted rules stating you sign for your gross score nothing else, its up to the organisers/committee etc to determine the nett or stableford correct scores.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there was a similar thread to this before and I believe the appropriate forum members quoted rules stating you sign for your gross score nothing else, its up to the organisers/committee etc to determine the nett or stableford correct scores.

I did think as much, I can't imagine it will change their scores too much it should bring them down to mid 90's.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

sJoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here you are this is the unequivocal answer you need..It helped me get my score reinstated..
Decision 6-2b/0.5 Meaning of “Handicap” When Full Handicap Not Used

"Q. It is the condition of a stroke-play competition (e.g. four-ball) that players will not receive their full handicap allowances. Under Rule 6-2b, what is the player responsible for recording on his score card?

A. He must record his full handicap. It is the Committee's responsibility to apply the condition of competition to adjust his handicap."
also look these up..Relevant Rules are 6-2, 6-6 and 33-5.
Its surprising how confused committee members become, all they need to do is take the trouble to look up the rules before making decisions..We had a rules meeting at our club the other night with member of the County and RandA rules committees there..this item was brought up, and of course everything above was confirmed.
A comp/marker is ONLY responsible for his correct club handicap and the correct GROSS score for each hole..
the allowances and additions are the responsibility of the committee..