Rules question

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another one for you chaps/chapesses.

One which I think I know the answer to, however.....

On the green tonight HID was addressing her putt and accidently touched the ball with her putter causing it to rock by about 2 -4 mm but it appeared to return to it's original spot.She then putted and holed out.

Penalty or not?

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No penalty, there is only a penalty if it moves from it's original position. If it oscillates and returns to it's original position then breathe a sigh of relief and carry on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Without HD slo mo, how can you tell if it returned to exactly the same position? Harrington got done for this, as he thought it had not moved, but in the studio, at extreme slo mo, you could see it had moved one dimple and a bit.

The joke of this is, if you are unsure it has moved, you can re-mark it, and put it back. This is ok. Even if the position you put it back in is now the new ball position, and not the old one. Just like you would do if you knew you had moved it, but no penalty. Weird.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The joke of this is, if you are unsure it has moved, you can re-mark it, and put it back. This is ok. Even if the position you put it back in is now the new ball position, and not the old one. Just like you would do if you knew you had moved it, but no penalty. Weird.

I find this bit of it really strange aswell, does anyone know why that is the case?

I remember when Harrington fell foul of it he said if he'd marked and replaced it he would have been fine! Seems odd to me.....

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a decision of the rules that basically says that if you risk a great deal of domestic strife or withdrawal of important privileges as a result of calling a penalty on HID, you have the option to keep schtum.