Rules Question Part 2

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
"14-4. Striking the Ball More Than Once

If a player's club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke, the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all."

Just so I am absolutely clear on this, in the above statement it suggests 1 stroke but its actually 2 hits , the first hit and the second accidental hit, like when the club catches up with the ball on a chip or bunker shot.

Therefore 2 hits (1 stroke played) and then 1 penalty stroke = 2 strokes altogether correct? :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't know why they don't just put "there is no penalty but you have to count each hit". Is it because someone might actually be able to abuse this rule in some way?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I don't know why they don't just put "there is no penalty but you have to count each hit". Is it because someone might actually be able to abuse this rule in some way?

I think it's beacause a "stroke" doesn't necessarily mean a "hit", an air shot is still a stroke etc. Making it each hit counts would mean 3 shots for a triple hit etc so would be difficult to judge. Easier to say you took a stroke (1) it wasn't a proper stroke for whatever reason (penalty shot), 2 in total.