Rules Query

eltub1

Club Champion
Visit site
Player A- Has just chipped his ball to within a few inches of the hole.

Player B- Is off the green and has yet to play his approach shot, can Player B request Player A does not mark his ball until after Player B has played his shot?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Player B can request that Player A does mark, but not that he doesn't. Player A can choose to mark or not as he wishes in the absence of a request to mark.

If Player B makes such a request and Player A agrees, both are DQ'd under Rule 22-1. See Decision 22/6.

gumbo84

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiosity why would A ever agree to such a request when there would be the chance that B could hit his ball some distance AWAY from the hole??

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiosity why would A ever agree to such a request when there would be the chance that B could hit his ball some distance AWAY from the hole??
If the balls collided, then A's ball would be replaced in its position, but (and this is the important part) it might be that B's ball collides off A's into the hole !!!

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Further to this, what if A asks B if he would like it marked as it may be in the way and B declines knowing that he may benefit if he hits A's ball?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Further to this, what if A asks B if he would like it marked as it may be in the way and B declines knowing that he may benefit if he hits A's ball?
Effectively answered by Ethan already....

Player B can request that Player A does mark, but not that he doesn't. Player A can choose to mark or not as he wishes in the absence of a request to mark.

If Player B makes such a request and Player A agrees, both are DQ'd under Rule 22-1. See Decision 22/6.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Player A asking Player B not to mark actually forces Player B to now mark it to avoid a mutual DQ, even if B hadn't previously intended to do so.

Player A would have been better off not to ask and hope that B didn't bother.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Effectively answered by Ethan already....

But since it's not B making the request would it be covered in the same way?

For example, you chip to a few inches but need to go to your bag and get your putter or want to clean your wedge etc so you say to me "Do you want me to mark that?"

If I reply "Up to you mate" or "I'm not bothered" or "No, it'll be ok", have either of us done anything wrong?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I assume we are talking strokepley here - as I cant see how two opponants can get DQd if they are in a matchplay against each other! And then the player next to hole can hole out as Bob said (which he couldnt do in matchplay).

The moral is - if its your turn, chip it quick before the ball can be marked. Nothing stopping you doing that......