Rules query

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Off the top of my head, I would say the ball hasn't left its original position, therefor no advantage has been gained, therefor no penalty.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Id say no penalty either, the ball can oscillate on its own anyway. If it hasnt moved from its original spot then it hasnt been played.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decisions on the Rules of Golf

18/2

Q In addressing the ball, a player accidentally causes the ball to oscillate, but it returns to its original position. Has the ball “moved”?

A No

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I seem to remember a few tour pro's calling penalties on themselves when they've accidentally touched the ball prior to making their putting swing, even though the ball didn't move.

I have done it myself and have called a penalty...it would be interesting to know the definitive answer.

It also happened the other day whilst addressing with a 5-iron, I just dinked the ball and though it didn't move I called a penalty.

What does the rule book say on it?

DCB

Visit site
Leftie's post says it all. The Decisions book says it's not a penalty. That's what the referees use in the big comps. all eventuaities are covered in there.

well worth getting a copy if you are serious about learning about the rules.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Leftie's post says it all. The Decisions book says it's not a penalty. That's what the referees use in the big comps. all eventuaities are covered in there.

well worth getting a copy if you are serious about learning about the rules.

It would appear odd that you could touch the ball with the club and not get a penalty seeing as you do get a penalty if the ball moves even if you don't touch it

Making the ball oscillate is not the same as touching the ball with your club.

snake

Hacker
Visit site
i would have thought an oscillation is movement. if you move the ball its a stroke. i've called this on many ocassions on myself as have others.

Will be definately checkin this out further.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
As in all small print, you have to understand what is actually said.

In this case the words to note are "When ADDRESSING the ball" and "returns to it's ORIGINAL position". If you touch it when not addressing it's a penalty. If it moves to another position when addressing it's a penalty.

If it moves through no interference by you, your caddy or equipment, then no penalty and play it as it lies. Only exception as far as I am aware is if it drops into the hole you are playing after the allowed 10 secs.

Simples :) :) :D :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So address a putt and touch the ball which returns to its original position = no penalty.
Address a putt and the wind blows it away = penalty

You gotta love some of our rules.....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said at the start.....
'the ball hasn't left its original position, therefor no advantage has been gained , therefor no penalty'.
If you touch the ball and it moves towards the hole, you have gained an advantage, therefor penalty

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
ah, but if you address and the wind moves it 'in any direction' - penalty

18-2 makes no mention of 'advantage' only that it is moved
and the decisions only allow for no penalty if wind moves the ball but you haven't completed the stance

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Basically "touching" the ball is a red herring here. The questions are "did the ball move?" and "when did the ball move?". Oscillating is not moving under the rules, the ball has to end up in a different position to where it started to be classed as "moved".
So, if the ball moves after address you are penalised (even if you didn't touch it you are deemed to be the cause of the movement). If you touch the ball with your putter but don't move it - no penalty. If it moves before you address - no penalty.