Rule query

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like many people I am lax with timing a search as I don't wear a watch when playing so judgement of 5 minutes is always a bit of a lottery.

With all the golf accessories available you would think there would be a simple timer you could press and it would ring after 5 minutes (or 3 in 2019).

As in this situation the status of second ball would be simple if it was outside the 5 minute search - it would be in play and the person could be pleased that he hadn't physically lost his ball,

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Like many people I am lax with timing a search as I don't wear a watch when playing so judgement of 5 minutes is always a bit of a lottery.

With all the golf accessories available you would think there would be a simple timer you could press and it would ring after 5 minutes (or 3 in 2019).

As in this situation the status of second ball would be simple if it was outside the 5 minute search - it would be in play and the person could be pleased that he hadn't physically lost his ball,
Five minutes is irrelevant if he returns to the tee after searching and plays another ball. That second ball is now the ball in play and the original is lost by definition. Same ruling applies if the original ball was not played from the tee and he returns to the spot and drops a ball - the second ball is the ball in play the instant the ball leaves the player's hand.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of my refereeing colleagues would say that in elite competitions, players believe their five minutes have elapsed at about 3 - 3.5 minutes and are quite surprised when they are told how much longer they have. In practice they rarely carry on searching, believing the ball, if found, will likely to be unplayable where relief would offer no more than S&D. The more experienced tend to look only in areas where they would be relatively happy playing from. Woe betide a spectator who finds a ball deep in the brambles or gorse (especially if they have played a good provisional).

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Most of my refereeing colleagues would say that in elite competitions, players believe their five minutes have elapsed at about 3 - 3.5 minutes and are quite surprised when they are told how much longer they have. In practice they rarely carry on searching, believing the ball, if found, will likely to be unplayable where relief would offer no more than S&D. The more experienced tend to look only in areas where they would be relatively happy playing from. Woe betide a spectator who finds a ball deep in the brambles or gorse (especially if they have played a good provisional).

This is an excellent point and one that I've adopted myself in the past. I've hooked a ball into the cabbage, played a provisional and then walked along the outside line hoping it might have popped out but I'd never venture into the heavy stuff, I'd just say walk on to my pp's as quickly as possible and crack on.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

This is exactly what I do, if it isn't found easily, it can stay where it is

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5UP-LOST-G...494873505&sr=8-1&keywords=5+minute+golf+timer

There you go:thup:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

Absolutely! If I don't find it where I want it to be, then I stop looking and make sure everyone else stops too! I walk back to the fairway with my eyes closed just in case.