Rugby

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely gutted about the rugby - I was looking forward to seeing a good game between Scotland and Italy today, shame the referee has ruined it - missed loads of knock ons, offsides, breakdown is a lottery, not a clue with scrubs etc

Saying that, you can only play how you're allowed to, and Scotland have been very clinical.

Wish the BBC would get some decent commentators aside from Butler and Moore though, fed up of hearing Andy Nichol talk the Scottish backs up, particularly Hogg- I don't think one breakaway try will get you ahead of Halfpenny, Kearney and co onto the Lions tour!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Italy have been poor today compared to last week. No real ball retention, going for offloads that are not on and scrappy handling errors.

That said, Scotland have played well, put them under pressure, not given them time with the ball and scored when they have been given the chance.

Not really surprised at the result, I thought that Scotland looked promising last week but lost to an England team playing well. I actually think that Scotland could beat Wales but will lose to Ireland. Not sure how they will do against France, depends what French team turns up.

Will be tough tomorrow but I still have a feeling for England to win the Grand Slam this year. I just get a feeling that the team is building momentum and that Twlevetrees has given them an extra dimension in the middle of the field and Farrell is looking more confident and creative in attack.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't help but agree, although I don't think I saw a single ruck where a Scottish player tried to stay on his feet. Any semi competent referee would have had that stopped within 5 mins at the start of the first half. Completely ruins the game for me, as you never get a proper contest.

Hoping France v Wales is a good one, reckon France will huff and puff for 10 mins, if Wales can stay in it through that, they might be in for a good win.

I'd like to say England will win tomorrow, but I'm concerned about there only being 1 winger in the England squad. Glad to see Hartley isn't starting though, might as well give Ireland the game if he was starting

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not so worried about the wing. I have seen Manu play on the wing for the Tigers a number of times so he can always step in if necessary. He actually started as a winger for Tigers. In fact would rather have him on the wing that Strettle who I think has had his chance and is not up to it. Would rather have Charlie Sharples on the bench who would make an impact at the end of a match with a broken field and tiring legs.

As for France V Wales, if Wales do not win that one then I feel that they are in serious problems with confidence totally shot. Could actually see Wales v Italy being a wooden spoon decider.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Clinical performance from Scotland, Andy Nicol was right to to Scotland's backs up given how well they held out.

That result has been a long time coming.

Holty - your being very harsh on Stuart Hogg, he's a fantastic player and today's performance was typical of what he does, he not too shabby for a 20 year old. Also, are rucks not played on the ground ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clinical performance from Scotland, Andy Nicol was right to to Scotland's backs up given how well they held out.

That result has been a long time coming.

Holty - your being very harsh on Stuart Hogg, he's a fantastic player and today's performance was typical of what he does, he not too shabby for a 20 year old. Also, are rucks not played on the ground ;)

Have to agree with you about Hogg, think he is showing some real promise and I would not be surprised to see him as an outside contender for the Lions if he keeps this form up. So far he has defended well, kicked well and taken 2 length of the pitch tries in 2 matches so not a bad start.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think I'm being harsh on Hogg, I'll give you he is young, and indeed promising, but he just hasn't done anything worth blowing smoke up his backside yet!

Rucks are most definitely played on the ground, but you're supposed to try and stay on your feet!!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think Scotland spoiled very well and wanted the loose more and responded better at breakdowns, although they were coming in from the sides and diving over the top at times unpunished. That was the difference for me as the possession that Italy had begs belief.

Scotland took advantage well of errors but didn't break the game line as well as Italy did and didn't gain as much yardage in open play, they simply picked up or intercepted scraps and errors and turned them into points. They won't get away with that against more organised teams like Wales & France.

Their still work in progress for me, but well done.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'm being harsh on Hogg, I'll give you he is young, and indeed promising, but he just hasn't done anything worth blowing smoke up his backside yet!

Rucks are most definitely played on the ground, but you're supposed to try and stay on your feet!!

Staying on your feet will be a maul then, a ruck is a ruck if its on the ground players won't be on their feet, I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you arrive at a ruck, you are obliged to try and stay on your feet to push the opposing players off the ball or secure the ball. The Scottish forwards (and to an extent the Italian forwards when they finally cottoned on) would arrive at a ruck and just flop over the ball, preventing a fair contest

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you arrive at a ruck, you are obliged to try and stay on your feet to push the opposing players off the ball or secure the ball. The Scottish forwards (and to an extent the Italian forwards when they finally cottoned on) would arrive at a ruck and just flop over the ball, preventing a fair contest

You are nit picking

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I should point out that its fair play to Scotland that they sussed the ref wasn't pinging it, I was more commenting on how the referee spoilt in in my opinion.

As for nit picking, it is a fundamental rule of the sport, quite like saying it would be nit picking to ignore the use of a leather wedge!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I should point out that its fair play to Scotland that they sussed the ref wasn't pinging it, I was more commenting on how the referee spoilt in in my opinion.

As for nit picking, it is a fundamental rule of the sport, quite like saying it would be nit picking to ignore the use of a leather wedge!

The rucks in the game between France and Wales are no different to what I watched earlier today and the referee has yet to pull anyone up, is this game being spoiled too?

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The rucks in the game between France and Wales are no different to what I watched earlier today and the referee has yet to pull anyone up, is this game being spoiled too?

Look, I'm going to leave it here, we're clearly not going to agree.

In my view, the flopping over the ball is nowhere near the level it was in the other game. Enjoy the rest of he game