Rubbish swing

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a female golfer, late 50s, been playing 7 years, handicap and club membership for 5. Got down to 19 from 34. But, I have an awful swing, no back swing, not much follow through, very little flexibility in my upper body. I've had some help from the lower handicap ladies at my club, but try as they and me might, I can't improve my swing.
I have recently been told by some well meaning person, that my golf swing and coaching failure is the subject of some hilarity, which has made me extremely self conscious and embarrassed when I now play.
I can hit my driver very straight and on average drive 160/170 yards including carry, with decent gaps in my other clubs.
I'm now wondering whether to talk to our pro and see if he has any tips and risk mucking up what I can do. Or carry on regardless and ignore the mickey takers or the option that seems most favourable at the moment is to give it in as a bad job

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have recently been told by some well meaning person, that my golf swing and coaching failure is the subject of some hilarity, which has made me extremely self conscious and embarrassed when I now play.

Yep, that's called bullying. What a shame.

First things first- you'll never enjoy your golf, never mind perform at a level you want to if you're worried about what others are thinking. Ultimately, you can't control what others think or do. How are you going to resolve this? Would a change of membership help? Or, do you think you're going to be able to work on your mindset?

Next, 160 yards carry, in a straight direction is absolutely fine. It places you at a bit of a crossroads. You can either work on strength and flexibility training, along with good golf instruction to try and squeeze out an extra 20 yards. Or, you can work your butt off on the short game side of things.

If you think about it, if you're playing a 300 yard par 4 and hitting it 160 yards on to the middle of the fairway, then you've got to back yourself to get on or close to the green with your second shot. If this was replicated (i.e. close to the green within 1 shot on a par 3, within 2 shots on a par 4 and within 3 shots on a par 5), if you were able to get up and down just 30% of the time, and chip and two-putt the rest of the holes, you'd be shooting 12 over! So there's a lot to be said for being able to hit the ball straight, without the need to blast the ball 230 yards.

As for a pro- it's never a bad idea as long as you feel completely comfortable in being honest with him/her. So often people go for a lesson, then the pro asks to see their swing and then they begin to change 100 aspects of it, leaving the student with a sore brain. Go to your pro, explain that you hit the ball straight, but would like to increase distance, or improve your short game, but don't feel comfortable changing too much. Or, even better, treat yourself to a playing lesson. Within 9 holes, the pro should have an idea on what you need to work on.

Whatever you decide, your end goal should be to get to a place that you are guaranteed to enjoy your time on the course, whether you shoot 100 or 70. Address this first.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly - ignore the supposed well-meaning person who is probably talking out of their rear end! What does she play off out of interest? I suspect some jealousy and a nasty person to boot.

Secondly - as a 19 handicap you are doing great and better than average so well done.

Thirdly - there is more than one way to skin a cat and get the golf ball round a course...don't worry so much about how your swing looks. That's easy said I know but you will worry about it, and be aware of its "failings", more than anyone else is.

Fourthly - I would seek the advice of a good pro to see what improvements he feels can be made, bearing in mind any physical limitations.

Don't give up as you obviously enjoy your golf and have done very well to date. Women can be so flipping nasty, it often makes me ashamed!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

First things first- you'll never enjoy your golf, never mind perform at a level you want to if you're worried about what others are thinking. Ultimately, you can't control what others think or do. How are you going to resolve this? Would a change of membership help? Or, do you think you're going to be able to work on your mindset?

Next, 160 yards carry, in a straight direction is absolutely fine. It places you at a bit of a crossroads. You can either work on strength and flexibility training, along with good golf instruction to try and squeeze out an extra 20 yards. Or, you can work your butt off on the short game side of things.

If you think about it, if you're playing a 300 yard par 4 and hitting it 160 yards on to the middle of the fairway, then you've got to back yourself to get on or close to the green with your second shot. If this was replicated (i.e. close to the green within 1 shot on a par 3, within 2 shots on a par 4 and within 3 shots on a par 5), if you were able to get up and down just 30% of the time, and chip and two-putt the rest of the holes, you'd be shooting 12 over! So there's a lot to be said for being able to hit the ball straight, without the need to blast the ball 230 yards.

As for a pro- it's never a bad idea as long as you feel completely comfortable in being honest with him/her. So often people go for a lesson, then the pro asks to see their swing and then they begin to change 100 aspects of it, leaving the student with a sore brain. Go to your pro, explain that you hit the ball straight, but would like to increase distance, or improve your short game, but don't feel comfortable changing too much. Or, even better, treat yourself to a playing lesson. Within 9 holes, the pro should have an idea on what you need to work on.

Whatever you decide, your end goal should be to get to a place that you are guaranteed to enjoy your time on the course, whether you shoot 100 or 70. Address this first.

Well said,Rosie carry on as you are and don't let others get you down.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
19 is a good handicap for someone who didn't start the game until later in life.

Ignore the mockers, the best that some people can do is to joke at other's expense (you don't get any of that on here :whistle:).

You say that you've had help from other ladies but not the Pro?

My advice would be to speak to the Pro and explain your concerns, both with the swing you have and with not wanting to lose your ability to keep the ball down the middle, and I'm sure he'll be able to help you on both counts.

Whatever you do, don't let the snide comments of others make you give up this great game. :)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
160 straight drive - would out hit a lot of female golfers I have played with. 19 handicap nothing wrong with that either. Comes down to a personal decision. If happy to play with what you got and perhaps get some more improvement then fire on. If you want more drastic improvement then a lot of time and probably money will be needed for lessons. If you have that time, money and desire to work hard then i would choose this route. I personally don't have the time, patience and motivation required to stick with lessons and the work that comes from that, but I'm happy with what I have. Its a personal choice of what's important to you

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Book a playing lesson with your pro and tell him/her what you've told us.
He/she will be able to help you improve without any major swing surgery by watching you play

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd echo what Bob says, a good pro won't go changing things for the sake of it.

However, the main reason for posting is to remind you that there are, and have been, many highly successful professional golfers who do it 'their way'. The only thing that counts is what the club head is doing at impact. Best example in your context is the US ex hockey player who joined the senior tour quite successfully for a couple of years and basically hit the ball (miles) with an ice hockey stroke.

By all means approach the pro, you should end up scoring even better even if you don't change your swing, but experience suggests that many who make derisory comments on an otherwise successful swing are generally jealous - so treat it that way and enjoy your games.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if you enjoy playing what difference does it make if you have a rubbish swing... your description of your swing sounds just like mine..lol

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rosie, I have a very unique swing, some might say it does not qualify as a swing.😁
I have to be honest I don't give a rat's ass what people think, I enjoy this game and each round is a plus in my book.
160 in a straight line, I dream about that.

Bob's advice is spot on and worth doing.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Nothing to add to this great post really, except people who snipe behind your back make me sick!