Royal County Down - Dilemma

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm currently wrestling with a dilemma.

I get married in Northern Ireland on Saturday, and I'm travelling over on Wednesday for last minute prep and relaxation. It looks like Thursday is going to be a quiet day, so I was going to try and play the local course (Warrenpoint GC), but I've just noticed I could play Royal County Down (#2 in the UK according to the good GM folks, and almost universally highly rated).

The winter green fee is just £50, and they've got an hour of tee times free on Thursday, so I can go out alone and not worry about getting paired up (don't normally mind this, but I think I'd like to go out on my own this time). It costs £185 in the summer

So far, so good - easy decision.

However, I've looked at the weather forecast, and although it's will be chilly (4C, feeling like -2C), it's shouldn't rain, but it is going to blow an absolute gale - 25mph with 40mph gusts.

So, quips about getting permission in the future etc aside, is it worth risking very tricky conditions, with the potential for a high scoring round (I play off 12HCP), for the chance to play one of the best courses in the world at a reasonable price?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't understand your dilemna...links courses are meant to be played in the wind!

Go for it....stunning course (it's not #2 in the uk...it's #1 in my book!!) You won't regret it. So what if it blows a hoolie and you run up a cricket score, there is no finer golf course to do it on :D

D

Deleted member 17920

Sorry, Whats your dilemma? £50 for one of the best courses in the world!!! Will you ever get the chance again?

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement folks - making it an easier decision!

I guess my reservation is wondering will a tough experience because of the weather potentially leave me with less than favourable memories, when it should be one of my best golfing experiences?!

I visit fairly often, so would get another chance to play at some point, but not necessarily at such a great price..

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've figured out what the dilemma is.....

Thursday is a qualifier for the main comp on the Saturday!!! Tough call if you do make the cut ;)

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At these wind conditions RCDcould be a real challenge. Ardglass is a great alternate but out on the point and no dunes to protect you it could be horrific if wind hits forecast speeds......or you just recalibrate your game.

personally, given combo of temp & wind I'd look for a sheltered track, I'm not a fair weather player either. RCD does quite good sundowner rate in summer, if you are back then?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ardglass in the wind is a scream :D
First 6 holes are awesome off the whites into the wind or the very rare time it is blowing out to see. You could lose half a dozen balls fast than you can say sod that for a game of soldiers. Very entertaining course that can have all four seasons in one 4 hour round. Love the place to bits.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I remember hitting driver, 3 iron off the whites up the 1st into the wind then driving through the back of the 18th coming back down again.

Oh.....and dodging the waves on the 1st tee!! :eek:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You would probably shoot a rubbish score anyway, as it can be pretty tough. The wind might not make any difference to your score!

D

Deleted member 1147

Who cares about the score, it's the golf course that leaves the impression, not the way you played it.
I played like a tool around Hillside (to which Junior & GB72 could attest) the other year but I still loved it. I was absolute rubbish at Beau Desert, but the course was fantastic.
If it's raining Cats & Dogs that's one thing. But the wind, that's what you expect on Links courses isn't it?

sane_eric

Medal Winner
Visit site
Play it.

It beat me up in November but it made no difference, I made sure I took it in as played. Besides, for some holes it will be blowing in your favour!