Royal Ascot Day - 3rd April

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As we have had an influx of newbie members, this is a reminder that there is a GM Forum day at Royal Ascot on Friday April 3rd. The cost is £61 which includes bacon rolls and coffee beforehand, 18 holes, 2 course dinner (roast beef and yorkshire pud and apple pie and custard/cream), and prizes. Royal Ascot are donating a prize for the longest drive and GM agreed to a small prize for nearest the pin. We will be met by one of the clubs Directors in the morning who can explain everything you need know about the facilities etc before we tee off at 10.00am. The meet will be covered for a future edition of the GM forum pages in the magazine.

If anyone is interested they can either stick a message here or send me a PM. If you are travelling a fair distance there are a number of B&B's locally and Bracknell is only a 10 minute (£10) taxi ride away and has three travellodges and a couple of premier inns.

I mentioned orginally about going to a nearby pub afterwards for anyone staying over. The hope was that the landlord would put a band or something on but that looks very unlikely to happen (truth is I think he is struggling business wise) but I'm more than happy to still meet up with anyone wanting to have a few drinks and a laugh about the days proceedings.

To those already booked I'll be posting more details nearer the time. If you fancy it come along and put faces to the forum names and have a laugh with your fellow forummers.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

really looking forward to this , put me in any group, won't be staying over as start work at one in the morning, will be staying for food and .iss taking afterwards.

Thanks for organising this.

Midnight...

mansell

Head Pro
Visit site
Homer please don't take this the wrong way
but what chance does a newbie have of winning the longest drive,
and for nearest the pin, I for one wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Homer,

If i can get the day off work i'd definitely be up for it. I'll PM you on friday.

Mansell, what the mind believes the body achieves.

mansell

Head Pro
Visit site
That's just it my body doesn't do what my mind tells it to do

and I am not having a dig at Homer, far from it
he is doing a fantastic job of organising it

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

However good or bad you are, you have a chance on the nearest the pin if nothing else. Everyone is capable of hitting a green once in a thousand shots!!

I played in a charity day years ago and played really badly. At my 18th (the 9th) it was the nearest the pin hole. I was playing that badly I didn't even notice until I knocked it 4 inches from the hole and won a shop vouvher for £100.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mansell

Let me be clear about one thing. This is not some ultra competitive day. Its about forum members of ALL abilities coming together for a good fun day with a few prizes on offer and a decent meal. You would be more than welcome

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In fact that goes to anyone being put off by the idea of it being a competitive day. It isn't but is just an excuse to play a round with fellow forummers. Think of it as your normal Saturday 4 ball on a different course. In fact if you didn't want to play in the stableford just come along and knock it round anyway. The more the merrier

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Don't you believe it. A mate of mine won the nearest the pin prize on the 3rd at Chartham Park. Downhill par 3, about 150 yards. He thinned a 9 iron which didn't get any more than about 10 feet off the ground, hit a rake in a greenside bunker, cannoned up into the air and stopped rolling about 5 inches or so from the hole. OK it wasn't a classic 9 iron shot, but he still won the prize and none of the other 50 or so golfers, apart from the three that were with him, knew what an absolute knob of a shot it really was.
And I'm not exactly a massive hitter, had never won a longest drive comp in my life. But at the same course, on a really windy day, my slice (into the right to left wind) kept me on the fairway, and my drive of about 200 yards was the only one on the cut stuff and won the prize.
As Homer says, these type of comps are for a bit of fun, tradition if you like to have a NP and LD comp.
But the day itself will be a good laugh.
Rob

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't you believe it. A mate of mine won the nearest the pin prize on the 3rd at Chartham Park. Downhill par 3, about 150 yards. He thinned a 9 iron which didn't get any more than about 10 feet off the ground, hit a rake in a greenside bunker, cannoned up into the air and stopped rolling about 5 inches or so from the hole. OK it wasn't a classic 9 iron shot, but he still won the prize and none of the other 50 or so golfers, apart from the three that were with him, knew what an absolute knob of a shot it really was.
As I always say, no room on the scorecard for pictures! :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
In fact that goes to anyone being put off by the idea of it being a competitive day. It isn't but is just an excuse to play a round with fellow forummers. Think of it as your normal Saturday 4 ball on a different course. In fact if you didn't want to play in the stableford just come along and knock it round anyway. The more the merrier

not competitive - don't you believe it, blood on the ground stuff and a bl**dy good laugh.

I've still got L-plates up and I'm playing in the ENGLAND v scotland tourney - never be put off, I nearly let myself be but thanks to the guys on here I'm in, armour polished, and longbow strung.

I've not got near a longest drive (in fact the society doesn't do this any more) but won two nearest the pins the same day (only a sleeve of balls but it's the winning not the prize) - and on one of them I was the only one on the green.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Normally I would stay all night but its HID's birthday on the 4th and if I miss that I might as well not bother planning anything past the 5th coz I wouldn't be around to do it!

Not far to home so I can stay for a while - only coke though, got to be a good boy

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's just over 2 hours for me by car, I would love to come though I love a bit of banter on the course.

When do you need to know by Homer as I will have to try and get time off work?