round time

What is stopping you from becoming a member of a golf club? (Tick all that apply)

• Outright annual cost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lack of more flexible membership options

• Don't have the time to justify the outlay

• Local clubs are too stuffy

• Club membership is just not for me

• Just haven't got round to it yet

• Total voters

seabers

Visit site
i get a lot of grief from my mates about playing slowly. We are usually round in about 3 1/2 hours playing a four ball stapleford which they think is too slow - how does this rate vs average

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
It realy depends on what course your playing. 3 1/2 hours on a short easy course could be considered to long, but on a lenghthy difficult course it would be quick.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just under 12 minute per hole is pretty decent pace. You'd be given 10 minute start intervals if it was a fourball comp so its more than quick enough.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As a time, it is ok. But, if your mates spend the whole 3 1/2 hours waiting for you, then it doesn't matter. It often isn't about total time, but perception.

Are you ready to play when it is your turn, do you walk at the same pace they do, do you leave your bag in stupid places. Are you last to leave the tee (even if you were first to tee off), do you mark your card on the green, do you look at putts from 15 different angles and then leave them 6ft short, do you have a ridiculously long preshot routine?

Any of these, and more, are infuriating. They might not add alot to the total time, but lead to your partners hanging about, waiting for you. They might also feel pressured to play quickly, to make up for your perceived slowness. Hence the total time is ok, but they have rushed round.

Slow play is a tricky one, and talk of it opens up cans of worms. One mans slow is anothers indecent haste.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
i get a lot of grief from my mates about playing slowly.

Perhaps you should listen to them and speed up your play. When there is one slow player in a group who are aware of their pace of play, then the others in the group often feel pressured into speeding up their game to compensate so that they can keep up with the group in front.

Always be ready to play the ball when it's your turn (or play when ready in friendly knockabout games), don't spend an age on pre-shot routines, if possible assess and line up your putt whilst others are doing theirs, don't leave your bag in the wrong place, don't fill in the scorecard whilst on the green, etc, etc.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
It realy depends on what course your playing. 3 1/2 hours on a short easy course could be considered to long, but on a lenghthy difficult course it would be quick.

I've yet to walk off any course and thought "that was easy"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think that is pretty good timing. I guess it also depends on whether you are waiting for groups in front. As others have said though you need to be ready to play when its your turn and need to make sure you don't dawdle between shots. Ask them why they think you're slow

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
ask them what's the rush, are they on a time limit from HID?

3 1/2 is more than reasonable for a 4-ball on any course (well maybe not the one with windmills)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your club need a rocket up their arse.

I agree but the problem is that it's a pay & play course and they over stack the course so your always waiting on your next shot

Yes, when I did muni golf, 5 hours was possible at times.
Sad, but true.

Personally, I liked it. Time to eat, chat, have a fag, do 100 drills between shots.....lots of advantages, including avoiding HID for a little longer. :eek:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It does effect your game though, I hate waiting on shots, the always end in disaster, twenty practice swings will ruin a shot as I have to much time to think

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree but the problem is that it's a pay & play course and they over stack the course so your always waiting on your next shot

Is that the place where they have 2x 18 holes, 1 each side of the road, plus 1x 9 hole. If so, I tried to play the 9 holer once and on one of the par 3's there were 5 groups waiting to tee off. By then I was so hacked off that I walked home (I lived then in Featherbed Lane :))