Rough = slice

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Picture this.

Ball in thickish rough, approx 120yards from a slightly elevated green (no more than 1m higher than the ball).

What club to use?

Normally i would use my 9 or soft 8 since I'm not going to get a clear contact due to the rough.

Normally what happens is I push the ball down the side of the fair way and still remain in the rough...........so obviously I'm opening the club up during the impact due to the grass, so how can I avoid this?

Is it just as simple as aiming further left or strengthen the grip or what?

Choose a different club or wot?

Being a high handicapper this happens a fair bit to me.......

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I guess it depends on your swing, for me the poor shot out of the rough is a pull/hook. This is because the heel grabs in to the rough and closes the face…

Really, this is one for Bobmac. I wouldn't really know what to suggest for you

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pure guess work but you may be trying to hard to get the ball out of the rough resulting in body heave. Worth a try just swinging the club more like you would when off the fairway.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
usually the missed shot from the rough is a pull/hook as mentioned above,this is because the heel catches the grass and turns the head over.

it could be that your grip is very weak and the face is opening up so it may be worth while having a few practise shots from the position you have mentioned.try various grips and maybe grip it slightly harder to stop the club turning over.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In anything thicker than first cut I'll take 1 or 2 clubs LESS, put the ball back in my stance and really hit down on the ball.

Less club partly because of delofting it by hitting down more and partly because a flier is all too common when you get a lot of grass between club and ball.

If it's really thick I won't even go for the green, just hack away with a SW and advance it 50 or 60yds but make sure it finishes in the fairway.