Rory McIlroy new golfing superstar?

Visit site
Having watched Rory play and practice for many years,I honestly think he is the real deal. Turning scratch at 13 is immense but under the pressure of getting his tour card and living up to his reputation, being able to achieve this in two events is just unreal. This guy is here to stay!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree he is a talent but lets not put too much expectations on his young shoulders-let him develop over the next few years.

His first full year could be harder than people think-the travel, staying in hotels different courses playing in different climates could give him trouble.

I think he has a very bright future and heres hoping he wins a number of events including a major.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't help but be a little cynical that once his club sponsor forces him to change to new clubs and driver and even a new putter then things will go t1t5 up. We have seen it all before with the like of Lee Westwood and Monty.

If he can avoid all these obsticles then he will be huge.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hasn't Westwood had the same spec of Ping irons since he was a teenager?

Ewan Murray was commenting on McElroy at the Dunhill and reckoned he needed to lower his ball flight substantially! But he's had a great start to his career and now that the pressure of qualifying for the Tour is off I think he'll be great. All the best are great putters and he clearly is.

Just wish someone would give him and Stuart Appleby a bit of hairdressing advice!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Westwood used Ping Zing I think. Then Ping wanted him to change to i3 and the T isi driver and that was the start of the slippery slope for him. I was at the Scottish open about '99 and asked him why he was using a Titleist 975 and he said that using the Titleist guaranteed he was still in the tournament the for the weekend.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
147k for his first real paycheck (plus the cheque for coming second in the team event!!) can buy him any amount of clubs if need be, he really shouldnt be swayed by sponsorship when he can rake in money like that on his own.
I was talking to michael bannon last night (his coach) and he is fairly happy with how things have started for his professional career.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
and out of his 147K he's going to be paying how much to his coach (not surprised he's happy), his agent, his caddy, . . .
no wonder he still needs a haircut, or just possibly if he uses cherie blurrs he's actually had one?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
to such a young fella, that money is excellent. His coach actually doesnt ask for much, hes known him since he was a kid.
Cherrie Blairs hairstylist! haha

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I must be the only person in Northern Ireland who hasn't known McIlroy "since he was a kid".

I did see him chipping balls into an open washing machine on the Gerry Kelly show when he was 9 though.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I dont really know rory himself, I worked with his dad for years, came from holywood also, play golf at bangor where he practices etc. Pity some of his ability doesnt rub off on the practice area! :D

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't help but be a little cynical that once his club sponsor forces him to change to new clubs and driver and even a new putter then things will go t1t5 up. We have seen it all before with the like of Lee Westwood and Monty.

If he can avoid all these obsticles then he will be huge.

I read somewhere that because of new technology, changing clubs doesn't make that much of a difference to the pro's. It's the change of balls that take longer to get used to.
Evidence of this was in the President's Cup, Jack Nicklaus took into account ball types when thinking about his pairings.

Couple of innuendo opportunities in that post!

B

birdieman

Golfing superstar - would be nice but probably won't achieve that.

Good European Tour pro and possible Ryder Cupper - likely.

Seems like he's a good cold weather, seaside links player, needs to prove to us what else he can do on standard courses.

I think currently only Tiger, Phil, Ernie and maybe VJ could be called golfing superstars so he has some way to go.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's got a great swing and as mentioned earlier looks to be a great putter which is key.

I think his weakness is that he's aggressive and he may be caught out attacking tight pins. He'll need to learn to pick his holes to score on when he becomes a regular on he can tour.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He's only 18 and already pushing for victories on the European Tour - shows he must have what it takes. Made me think about all that hype about Ollie Fisher at the start of this year and McIlroy has earned more cash in three starts than Fisher has picked up in 29.

Tiger didn't' turn pro till 20 so McIlroy's got a couple of years head start.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didnt know him since he was a kid either so thats 2 of us. I seen the show of Kelly's where he was juggling the balls under his legs. Good luck to him, I hope he makes it really bit.