Rors & Fitzgerald

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok sky sports news
Can't see it making much difference either TBH, Rory looks all over the place just now and completely disinterested in golf. One bad shot and his heads gone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok sky sports news
Can't see it making much difference either TBH, Rory looks all over the place just now and completely disinterested in golf. One bad shot and his heads gone.
I thought he played some great golf at the Open to be fair. First 9 aside of course.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
There's no crystal ball that says this is going to be a good or bad move - if Rory gets a spring in his step he's fabulous and really the caddy is a passenger; if there's no spring, I just don't see how JP or any other caddy fixes that, the problem is really between Rory's ears.

However, a stronger caddy may well find a way to keep him in contention when he's playing poorly in the hope he finds a spark. Rory used to have a very natural game that wasn't overthought, that seems to have changed now - hopefully whoever comes on to the bag will do a lot of the 'heavy' thinking for him.

Interesting the original article made reference to Bones. Maybe Bones will take him through the next 2 weeks.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok sky sports news

I think that's exactly why he needs a new caddie. One that will get involved after these kinds of shots so his head doesn't go and keeps him in the tournament.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Obviously I don't know because we're not privy to their conversations, but I always got the impression JP gave the info and Rory decided the shot.

I'd like to see him and a caddie decide between them the way most others do, but maybe he's best the way it was.

As mentioned above, hitting an iron for safety but choosing one that will reach 3 bunkers is just crazy. Spieth flew them with a 3 wood.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok sky sports news

Really ? Surely if that was the case who would have fallen apart after his first 6 holes at The Open instead of going round in about 10/11 under for the rest of the comp

You would think reading some stuff that is said about Rory that he is wallowing at the bottom of leaderboards and it's amazing that he has won so much with a poor caddy. He is a streaky player and right now he is searching for the hot form and he isn't far away. Wouldn't surprise to see him destroy the field at Quail Hollow with whoever is his caddy.

D

Deleted member 1418

I'm happy to give it a go. Admittedly it will be a big wrench leaving the employ of the UK Government, but if it helps Rory get back to where his talent clearly belongs then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

I think a few "Look, you're head and shoulders above anyone out here so stop dicking around and focus" should do the trick!!! 😂😂

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Really ? Surely if that was the case who would have fallen apart after his first 6 holes at The Open instead of going round in about 10/11 under for the rest of the comp

You would think reading some stuff that is said about Rory that he is wallowing at the bottom of leaderboards and it's amazing that he has won so much with a poor caddy. He is a streaky player and right now he is searching for the hot form and he isn't far away. Wouldn't surprise to see him destroy the field at Quail Hollow with whoever is his caddy.

Or in the flip side you can argue that he fell apart in the first six holes of the Open which played him out of contention, coupled with how poor he was in Ireland and Scotland the two previous weeks could suggest he is seriously struggling with either form or consistency??

I'm no Rory basher but at the same time I'm no great lover of him. I appreciate good golf and when Rory is on form his golf is a joy to watch.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I get the feeling Rory is a guy who needs a strong personality as caddy. However since he is the wealthy 'cash cow' he is for so many people I've a feeling not many people survive the 'family clan' if they stop saying 'Yes' and speak out. Didn't his father precipitate his change of management team to an in-house setup?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm happy to give it a go. Admittedly it will be a big wrench leaving the employ of the UK Government, but if it helps Rory get back to where his talent clearly belongs then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

I think a few "Look, you're head and shoulders above anyone out here so stop dicking around and focus" should do the trick!!! 😂😂

Quality !!!! :D

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
sometimes they just need a change. Success of the new bag man/woman will depend on Rory's willingness to take their input on board in the heat of competition.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
To be fair JP will be absolutely gutted, he had a cracking Monday- Friday job he had!

😂😂😂

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless he has someone lined up already it's very interesting timing with the USPGA about to start. Is some random caddy he doesn't know really better than JP in the immediate term or could it have waited till later in the season?

Interested to see the amount of comments that Rory is bored/disinterested/lost his head etc. He did just come 4th at the Open - reading some of the comments he'd have missed the cut by 6 shots playing horrendous golf.

Apparently Koepka isn't that interested in golf and has loads of other hobbies etc. He doesn't seem to get slated for this anywhere near as much as Rory does for having a broader life than just focussing on golf.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We'll see who his caddy is probably tomorrow, maybe just a temporary one but he'll have someone decent.

As for JP, I think he carried the bag, gave yardages and tried to keep his mind in it and let Rory decide the shots? Rory IMO only has one game and its all out attack, he doesn't really do the win ugly or boring part. Rory wont shoot a level par round with 1 birdie and 1 bogey and 16 pars, he's more likely to have a double bogey and an eagle in there too.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
There has been a lot of talk from the golfing journalists and TV pundits around JP for quite a few years with an opinion that a better caddie would help Rory. Rory has always come out in JP's defence when this has been raised but depending on your opinion of Golf pundits there must be something about JP that they think is lacking?

From what I've seen of Rory this year he hits a lot of good shots tee to green but the putter lets him down preventing the low scores we all know he is capable of shooting 68's rather than 65's. When he is having a off day the putter prevents him turning 73's into 70's which is the capability Tiger had and the likes of Spieth currently have. Not sure a different caddie will help with that unless he used JP to read the lines for him?

Having said that a different voice, seeing different shots with different advise may well work. Not aware of many of the more recognised / respected Caddie's being available at the moment unless as someone mentioned Tiger lends him his for the season.