Rors & Fitzgerald

D

Deleted member 16999

He will be streaky for the rest of his career - all golfers will be , the field is that good now it's going to be hard for any golfer to be consistent to a high level - any time a major starts there is a a list of about 10-20 that realistically can win it - no golfer is going to dominate.

It's more than likely down to expectation driven from the media and people expecting McIlroy to dominate like Woods - but no matter how talented his is it's just not going to happen - the competition is too strong. The same media that put him on a pedestal will then shoot him down when he has a run of poor form.

It even happened on here - he struggled mid season with injury , misses a couple of cuts whilst finding form since that injury and people wrote him off - talk of missing the cut in the Open etc etc - he then goes and actually plays superbly after that initial poor start to actually find some form and yet some will continue to go on about the missed cuts before that.

In his last 12 comps he has missed the cut three times , 3 top 5s amongst other placings - before that he won the Fed Ex winning two in a matter of 4 weeks. It will be the same for the end of the season and then the same next season - missed cuts , wins , struggles. That's golf now and all the players go through it
No issues with missed cuts, as you say that can happen to any of them, it's how he responds or lets the struggles (whatever you mean by that) affect him.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you email an online bookmaker they'll usually quote you for this type of bet. Rory is usually between 6/1 (PGA) and 12/1 at most for any major he tees it up at. Staying fit and healthy he's probably in for another 40 odd majors before he's 40. The odds you'll get on him never winning another major are huge, but maybe wait until two weeks time because despite what's being said about him Quail Hollow is his turf. I'm looking for value in the each way market. I fully expect him to win.

Well in saying I don't think he will win another I would expect odds of 50/1+ for it to be value but it would be a punt I would take if I could get odds like that

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been trying to look at Odds on McIlroy never winning another major but can't find anything anywhere. What odds do you think he should be?
How on earth can they give odds on that? They can't pay it out until he retires which could be another 30 years time...

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think people are incorrectly focusing on his putting, he's missing putts for pars because he has messed up the hole earlier, he had 8 putts less than Spieth at the open averaging 27 putts per round, the best avg was 26.

His strength off the tee and long irons is were his stats have dropped.

You're right mate. His long game is the issue right now. When he gets back on his game, I don't think anyone can touch him. I hope it happens soon. I'd love to see an inform DJ, Speith and Rory go toe to toe.

Putting stats are very misleading........When you're chipping and 1 putting for par , you're always going to have less putts that someone who is hitting every green and two putting for par. Inevitably, the one who is hitting the greens will come out on top.....a'la Speith at the open.

D

Deleted member 16999

You're right mate. His long game is the issue right now. When he gets back on his game, I don't think anyone can touch him. I hope it happens soon. I'd love to see an inform DJ, Speith and Rory go toe to toe.

Putting stats are very misleading........When you're chipping and 1 putting for par , you're always going to have less putts that someone who is hitting every green and two putting for par. Inevitably, the one who is hitting the greens will come out on top.....a'la Speith at the open.
That's it, Rory had a few 1 putts to save Par and the 2nd putt was the bogey, same at the US Open, identified how to beat the course then didn't follow the plan.

It's ridiculous for anyone to write off McIlroy or Spieth or Johnson etc saying they won't win anymore Majors they're going to be in contention for a long time to come.

Rumours in todays papers saying he's looking at Kaymers or Westwoods caddy!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
He was 2nd in putts at The Open, top 10 for scrambling, he's not settled for whatever reason, but he isn't that far off.

It was his long game and off the tee at the Open that caused most of his issues.

Which suggests he's struggling with his game as his putting is usually gash. However how many greens did he hit in regulation compared to the top 3? Was he scrambling more from greenside which enhanced his putting stats?

Just playing devil's advocate!

D

Deleted member 16999

Which suggests he's struggling with his game as his putting is usually gash. However how many greens did he hit in regulation compared to the top 3? Was he scrambling more from greenside which enhanced his putting stats?

Just playing devil's advocate!
He was 62nd in Greens hit, imo, his short game was the main reason he finished so high on the leaderboard.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Being streaky, the only way of winning more often is to play more. Putting all of your focus on Majors is IMHO nuts. Winning is a habit and once you start to win and feel in a winning mode, it's so much easier to compete regularly. The pressure drops when you are playing well and competing, when it's a struggle that's when you feel the most pressure and he gave us a hint at his mindset a while back when he said in the final round (can't remember which comp), that he was enjoying playing without the pressure of worrying about winning.........

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just don't see him dominating for any major period of time. There are just too many other really good players and a lot of what I'd call second tier players who have the ability to raise their game for a tournament. It's just much tougher to get a win these days.

But, he'll win again, and win Majors, he's too good not to. But it's not guaranteed.

For me he seems to go into a lull when he's in a relationship and not purely focussed on his golf. Now he's married he needs to find a way to get both to work together.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
We have to also remember that the landscape has changed. Players don't dominate like they used to. Anyone from 50 players in the field are more than capable of winning on any given week. What Paul McGinley said the other day was correct - the gap between the number1 player and the number100 player in the world is smaller in golf than it is in other sports. This is evident by seeing so many first time winners recently.

It's much harder for a player (even one as good as Rory) to stand out every week and win.

D

Deleted member 16999

We have to also remember that the landscape has changed. Players don't dominate like they used to. Anyone from 50 players in the field are more than capable of winning on any given week. What Paul McGinley said the other day was correct - the gap between the number1 player and the number100 player in the world is smaller in golf than it is in other sports. This is evident by seeing so many first time winners recently.

It's much harder for a player (even one as good as Rory) to stand out every week and win.
No one is saying he has to win every week to dominate, but getting back to World No 1 and making everyone else believe you're the man to beat is were he should be aiming.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
World number 1 is an accolade for sure, but to be honest it's not how you'll be remembered if you're winning majors - that's the pinnacle. Would Luke Donald rather be world no. 1 for 56 weeks or have won a major?

I certainly don't think not being no. 1 at this moment in time diminishes the threat the other players view in Rory - they know what he is capable of at any given time. As Phil said, streaky-ness is a major problem, especially now he's a bit older and more mature; think Rooney as 17 year old (dumb and naive and playing a natural enjoyable game) vs Rooney now (dumb & less naive, trying to think about things, getting frustrated etc.).

This could be a great move - dumping people close to him has worked before (Wozi), so it was either JP, Gerry or Erica!

D

Deleted member 16999

He'll only get to World No 1 by winning tournaments, success breeds success, at the moment you get comments like any of the top 10 can win on any given weekend, that would've been true when Tiger was No 1, but the comments were always about having to beat Tiger to win an event. Dominating on the mental side Rory doesn't have that hold at the moment.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
So who's taking the bag then? Billy Foster? Steve Williams? Bones? Joe LaClava?

Wouldn't expect Billy to leave Westwood, Steve Williams semi-retired, not sure he'd come back full time. Bones got a TV deal but Joe LaClava has been out of work for most of this year, although he may be loyal to Tiger. Not sure who else would fit, or is available.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aren't Bones' knees troublesome now? Steve Williams, I hope not. Egotistical man.

He surely wont be short of offers. Who wouldn't want 10% of Rory's winnings. Even when not winning tournaments he is still doing pretty nicely over the course of a year.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Aren't Bones' knees troublesome now? Steve Williams, I hope not. Egotistical man.

He surely wont be short of offers. Who wouldn't want 10% of Rory's winnings. Even when not winning tournaments he is still doing pretty nicely over the course of a year.

Apparently Forbes state JP's earnings as $1.65M for the last 12 months :O

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think people are incorrectly focusing on his putting, he's missing putts for pars because he has messed up the hole earlier, he had 8 putts less than Spieth at the open averaging 27 putts per round, the best avg was 26.

His strength off the tee and long irons is were his stats have dropped.

Easy to look at stats in isolation, was his putting average so good because he was scrambling a lot therefore many putts were from short distance?