Roll Back Discussion

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Having seen the announcement biggest things I noticed was

Golf balls that conform to the MLR must not exceed the current Overall Distance Standard (ODS) limit of 317 yards (plus three yards tolerance) at modified Actual Launch Conditions with a clubhead speed of 127 mph and based on a calibration set-up for 11 degrees and 37 revolutions per second (2220 rpm) as part of this proposal.

coupled with

Data provided for the report showed that the average clubhead speed on the PGA TOUR was 114.6 mph last year, with an average launch angle of 10.3° and average spin of 2597 rpm. The mean of the fastest one percent of clubhead speeds was 127.5 mph in 2022, while the mean of the fastest five percent of clubhead speeds was 124.2 mph.

The modified testing set-up in the proposed MLR is expected to reduce hitting distance by 14-15 yards on average for the longest hitters with highest clubhead speeds.

The distance loss being quoted will bring a lot of bunkers in to play that we see on the pro tours so the players are much more likely to be aiming to play short of them so it might be more than one club on a lot of holes. Plus the distance loss with irons might well be a club.
That post was a gem in a sea of dross(y)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Having seen the announcement biggest things I noticed was

Golf balls that conform to the MLR must not exceed the current Overall Distance Standard (ODS) limit of 317 yards (plus three yards tolerance) at modified Actual Launch Conditions with a clubhead speed of 127 mph and based on a calibration set-up for 11 degrees and 37 revolutions per second (2220 rpm) as part of this proposal.

coupled with

Data provided for the report showed that the average clubhead speed on the PGA TOUR was 114.6 mph last year, with an average launch angle of 10.3° and average spin of 2597 rpm. The mean of the fastest one percent of clubhead speeds was 127.5 mph in 2022, while the mean of the ......

That post was a gem in a sea of dross(y)

So not only is the club head speed in the test faster, the launch cobditions are much more optimal for distance, so the "new" ball will be significantly shorter, however as its 3 years away the ball boffins will no doubt be able to develop a ball that looses less at slower speeds so i think the impact through the bag might reduce. Im actually looking forward to how the smart people react to the gauntlet thats just been throw down!!

If it was me Id be chomping at the bit to try to make a ball that passes the 127mph test, but makes no impact at 110mph and less...

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Can't say I was overly bothered one way or another on this issue but having read the comments of various pampered manbabies that play golf for a living I'm now all in favour! Roll it back!
Will be interesting to see where Rory goes with it. J Thomas has already been vocal against, don't think TW has been public yet but over last 6 yesrs or so has seemed to be for some limits/roll back.
#torn 🙂😉

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Make a "Tour" driver thats 300cc. Then if someones bombing it 126mph they're properly playing with fire for a miss strike!!

As taylormades you tube campaign proves you can hit it inches from the sweetspot for next to no punishment.

Personally would rather the pros played with smaller drivers and i might even buy one myself.
Mini drivers were really well recieved as a novelty. If they became a mainstream tour supported product, i reckon thered be plenty market for them. Id argue its easy for developing amatuers to get into the pro ranks too, even if theyve spent 20 yrars with a 460 driver head, theyve got plenty experience with a 3 wood too!

Swango1980

Visit site
Make a "Tour" driver thats 300cc. Then if someones bombing it 126mph they're properly playing with fire for a miss strike!!

As taylormades you tube campaign proves you can hit it inches from the sweetspot for next to no punishment.

Personally would rather the pros played with smaller drivers and i might even buy one myself.
Mini drivers were really well recieved as a novelty. If they became a mainstream tour supported product, i reckon thered be plenty market for them. Id argue its easy for developing amatuers to get into the pro ranks too, even if theyve spent 20 yrars with a 460 driver head, theyve got plenty experience with a 3 wood too!
Question, why would you buy a small driver if it could only penalise you? Would you just use it to practice with, or use it full time?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Isn’t that just a 3wood? That some of them already hit 300 yards!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site

Its just a less forgiving driver, it wouldnt even necessarily be shorter, but if you can middle a three wood at 125mph, you deserve every yard you get in my view. It may not even be a 3 wood, as I'm told many tour 3 wood heads are considerably above the cor limit....

D-S

Visit site
Also they often hit those 3 woods for safety so they are a lot more accurate with them.
I always thought that if you took the driver out of Tiger’s hands his scores would improve - he was so much straighter with 3 wood and long irons. His performance at Hoylake showed this.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Question, why would you buy a small driver if it could only penalise you? Would you just use it to practice with, or use it full time?

Im one of those rare people who actually enjoy golf, and Id like to know how i would get on with tour equipment. Not quite at crows level but often play with 1980s kit, and by far the biggest difference is the penalty for mishits on woods.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Also they often hit those 3 woods for safety so they are a lot more accurate with them.
I always thought that if you took the driver out of Tiger’s hands his scores would improve - he was so much straighter with 3 wood and long irons. His performance at Hoylake showed this.
They are statistically not any more accurate with 3 woods than they are with driver.

D

Deleted member 15344

This doesn't take into account that holes, courses etc have been lengthened in this time to limit the consequences of longer hitting. Maybe the authorities don't want courses to keep being stretched, saying nothing for the courses themselves.

How many courses realistically has that affected ? Maybe not even 1% - the odd Tour course. And even then not that many of them other come up with many other ways to combat the scoring.

For many it’s great to see pros - drive par 4’s , take on par 5’s in two.

At the end of the day it’s a pure token effort that most events won’t go near

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

89FD25C4-9572-4F91-AAB1-B9519FC4D213.jpeg

With my 300cc mini driver last year, also got a photo of a 348 yard drive somewhere as well 🤭
If I can get it out that far Christ knows what the pros could do 😬

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
How many courses realistically has that affected ? Maybe not even 1% - the odd Tour course. And even then not that many of them other come up with many other ways to combat the scoring.

For many it’s great to see pros - drive par 4’s , take on par 5’s in two.

At the end of the day it’s a pure token effort that most events won’t go near

From what I've read/ heard over the last few days from journalists etc. they expect more uptake of this ball than not. Players wont just want to switch to this ball come Major week and then back to a ProV1 the week later.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
From what I've read/ heard over the last few days from journalists etc. they expect more uptake of this ball than not. Players wont just want to switch to this ball come Major week and then back to a ProV1 the week later.

Is there a risk majors lose there relevance? If a player makes 20million a year with pro v1, and has in effect 4 hickory championships mid season? Im clearly using hyperbole there, but if the pga tour dont get on board then i think its dead in the water..

I do assume the pga tour were well and truly on board before the announcement.... same with the masters, surely you dont announce tgat without a good buy in from the biggest influencers...

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Is there a risk majors lose there relevance? If a player makes 20million a year with pro v1, and has in effect 4 hickory championships mid season? I'm clearly using hyperbole there, but if the pga tour don't get on board then i think its dead in the water..

To be honest I don't think so.

Tell you who do miss out though - ball manufacturers. How can they market a major winning ball to the average joe if he's going to lose yards by using it. Maybe only one or two for the average joe but its still a reduced capability ball.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
To be honest I don't think so.

Tell you who do miss out though - ball manufacturers. How can they market a major winning ball to the average joe if he's going to lose yards by using it. Maybe only one or two for the average joe but its still a reduced capability ball.

People will still buy it. Like i said earlier, id buy a mini driver just for kicks. And the ball makers already do a number of balls for tour only. Left dot pro v1, right star pro v1. Theres even a rumour some pros are using pro v1's for a ten year old 2013 recipe that was changed for cost saving. So the ball makers will be fine....

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do assume the pga tour were well and truly on board before the announcement

according to Mike Whan, he would have liked to get buy in before the announcement, but that wasn't possible. They made the announcement, and now have to get buy in from various organisations.