Roll Back Discussion

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, we have 5 tee markers for players to choose from, with roughly 400/500 yard increments between them from 5,400 up to 7,100
Par and SI remain constant on any tee and are the same par/SI for men & women and all are rated for both, so loads of choice & options

I pick between two for my social golf depending on the days wind/weather but weirdly comp organisers never seem to stray from the traditional ‘template tees’ for men/women/seniors etc irrespective of conditions/environment

edit:
From my current 15.4 index, my course handicap would be as low as 6 and up to 20, solely based on the course length
Jeez 6 to 20 that’s a big jump.

When we play in the USA most courses have a combination course.
Some holes off longer tees and a mix of shorter ones .
makes for a good challenge but not to hard, makes perfect sense.

most tees in the UK are to small for this .
And very expensive to build new ones.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My HI of 4.3 means that from next April I will have a Playing Handicap for strokeplay

Par 70 CR 70.8 Whites 6
Par 70 CR 69.1 Yellows 4
Par 68 CR 66.7 Reds 3

The red tees CR being 1.3 under par seems strange when there are 4 par-4s that are 414, 417, 439 and 446 yards long.
3 over par gives me 36 points and a SD of 4.0 - fairly close to HI. But those two longest par-4s will see me making more 5s than 4s by a long way.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
How much distance do people think will be required for pros to lose in order for courses to be played as they were originally designed?

I.e. bunkers in play, angle of shots etc

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How much distance do people think will be required for pros to lose in order for courses to be played as they were originally designed?

That is not what will happen. It isnt the goal. The 'as originally designed' line is one that externals rather than the R&A/USGA have raised, and rather misses the point.
The aim is to restrain things from further distance expansion as well as evaluating other distance restraining measures and driver specifications.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
That is not what will happen. It isnt the goal. The 'as originally designed' line is one that externals rather than the R&A/USGA have raised, and rather misses the point.
The aim is to restrain things from further distance expansion as well as evaluating other distance restraining measures and driver specifications.
I didn't say it was the aim, just wondering

greenone

Visit site

Obviously it depends on the course. But there isn't one hole at my course I'm worried about fairway bunkering as I generally clear it by at least 30 yds if I have a decent strike.

Last edited: