Robert Rock

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He definitely gives back to the game. Together with fellow professional Natalie Clarke he set up the Robert Rock Junior Tour about 5 years ago. Natalie has organised 26 events for 2021, mostly in the Midlands but expanding all over England, with a Grand Final at Notts Golf Club. It's very popular and gives young golfers a chance to play competitively with their peers for a fraction of the normal green fee at some decent courses.

D

Deleted member 1147

He definitely gives back to the game. Together with fellow professional Natalie Clarke he set up the Robert Rock Junior Tour about 5 years ago. Natalie has organised 26 events for 2021, mostly in the Midlands but expanding all over England, with a Grand Final at Notts Golf Club. It's very popular and gives young golfers a chance to play competitively with their peers for a fraction of the normal green fee at some decent courses.
There’s a few doing that sort of thing nowadays. Nick Huby, at the Pete Cowan academy does one in Yorkshire. I think their final is at Lindrick.

Grizzly

Visit site
This genuinely warms my soul. Think he’s very normal and is a world away from some of his peers

It amazing how little things like that make such a massive difference to our perception of professional sportsmen. I remember very well when I was a kid the cricketers who refused to sign autographs, and equally so those who went out of their way to - for example, the great Malcolm Marshall, who stood outside in the freezing cold for what seemed like hours after a Sunday League game at Headingley to make sure every kid got one.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That was a shame on the last for him, can’t help thinking he should have putted that 3rd shot especially after chipping poorly on the 16th

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
It amazing how little things like that make such a massive difference to our perception of professional sportsmen. I remember very well when I was a kid the cricketers who refused to sign autographs, and equally so those who went out of their way to - for example, the great Malcolm Marshall, who stood outside in the freezing cold for what seemed like hours after a Sunday League game at Headingley to make sure every kid got one.

No idea what I was doing there but got turned down for an interview by a show jumper at Hickstead in 1977 and, even stranger, was reduced to tears

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
How is making money from coaching "giving back to the game"????
Pros don't do things for free, they run coaching schools and academies as businesses.

He runs a junior tour which doesn’t make him any money and he also does help out fellow pros which they’re quick to point out

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
He runs a junior tour which doesn’t make him any money and he also does help out fellow pros which they’re quick to point out
Well, having stood 5 feet away from the pros he is teaching I can tell you he doesn't do it for free. As for the juniors, I frequent his range 3 to 4 times a week. I have never seen him with the juniors.

What I can say is he is a top bloke and always takes time to say hello and speak to people. I also think he's got one of the best swings on tour too

Last edited:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Well, having stood 5 feet away from the pros he is teaching I can tell you he doesn't do it for free. As for the juniors, I frequent his range 3 to 4 times a week. I have never seen him with the juniors.

What I can say is he is a top bloke and always takes time to say hello and speak to people. I also think he's got one of the best swings on tour too

We're going down a bit of a rabbit hole here. All I'm saying is his junior tour doesn't make any money and he'll be at their events and set the course up etc and a couple of tour pros have said how good he is at sharing his knowledge. Anyway, the swing's amazing and he's a great bloke