Right hander now putting left handed

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the face of stiff competition from my driving, iron play, bunker play and iron play, putting is the worst aspect of my game.
For example I cant sink a 3 footer for par for love nor money.
I'm nearly 60 years old, and back in the day I used to write left handed, until school made me switch to right handed.
During this boring lock down, on a whim, I bought a cheap left handed putter.
This feels so much more relaxed.
I usually miss on the left side, but now, putts fly in, at least in my hallway!
Could this be a dominant eye thing?
Brain hemisphere thing?
Am I a freak? :)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the putts go in do you care?!

Could very well be that you are left handed. I bet there are young uns reading this thinking you’re joking about being made to write right handed! But if that’s how you’re wired then yeah, go with it.

Given the success of this venture, would you dare to try left handed clubs?...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife is a leftie, as am I. The head teacher told her at her junior school that 'we have no left handed pupils here' :oops:

My school only allowed us to learn to write joined up with fountain pens, right handed nibs only, right handed scissors, knife and fork were repeatedly swapped if I used them left handed. Kids think you grew up in Victorian times when you tell them this but it was the late 70's, early 80's.

If it works go for it. It could be your eyes, it could be the dominant hand working better lower down than at the top. Ultimately, if it is working don't stop.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am very much right handed, but my wife is left handed and I have used her putter a few times, surprisingly easy to use.

As there's no wrist hinge of break, it may actually be easier to have the dominant hand on top of the club to have better control

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am right handed, and putt right handed but I can putt really well left handed. However, I can only putt left handed if I use my normal right handed grip, so right below left.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife is a leftie, as am I. The head teacher told her at her junior school that 'we have no left handed pupils here' :oops:

My school only allowed us to learn to write joined up with fountain pens, right handed nibs only, right handed scissors, knife and fork were repeatedly swapped if I used them left handed. Kids think you grew up in Victorian times when you tell them this but it was the late 70's, early 80's.

You’d get cancelled for that now ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A friend of mine has mild parkinsons and as a tremor in his hands, he is a great ball striker and pretty long, but once on the green it was heartbreaking to watch him make 10ft from the hole into a 3 or even 4 putt. his handicap went from 4 to 7 in the last few years. he switched end of 2019 and though its still a bit twitchy at times its a vast improvement

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
With short putts you have to do whatever to ensure you reduce line deviation at impact. On longer putts it matters less but a missed short putt is an extra shot. I use a putting rail but gates and similar drills work.

Whatever method you choose to swing make sure you work on direction at impact. If the first 3 feet are on line your scores will come down.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
American Notah Begay III who played on the PGA tour, would putt either right or left handed depending on the break of the putt. He put the concept to good use with four victories on the US PGA Tour in 1999 and 2000.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I have written it in somewhere else before, our comp secretary plays right but puts left. Took me a couple of holes to work that out, until then I was always standing wrong on the green and annoyed him.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have written it in somewhere else before, our comp secretary plays right but puts left. Took me a couple of holes to work that out, until then I was always standing wrong on the green and annoyed him.

Someone at my old club had left handed woods, right handed irons, and left handed putter. He was completely ambidextrous but was quite weird

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Someone at my old club had left handed woods, right handed irons, and left handed putter. He was completely ambidextrous but was quite weird
Sounds like someone built his 1st bag on eBay and was too stubborn to admit he got it wrong and stuck with it? ;-)